Thinking of buying 1997 Cobra

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
I found a 1997 Mustang Cobra with 27,000 original miles. It has never been driven in a winter and is a one owner car. It is mostly stock, but has an MSD DIS-4 ignition, a Bassani Cold air intake, red 10th anniversary brake calipers on the front with slotted discs, and is missing its strut tower brace. I would rather have a 100% original car, but this one is very clean and and is mostly stock. However, the original intake and strut tower brace are gone. The Kelly Blue Book is $11,300. What is this car really worth? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

-Doc

94gtstang50

Reaction score
probably 8-10k with those miles, maybe 7, but thats doubtful. Look for signs of body work, other than that, it sounds like a beautiful car.

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
So you think Kelly Blue Book is high on this one? I only looked at it real quick, but there seems to be no body work and honestly has never seen a winter. I live in New England so it is rare to see a 10 year old car in this condition. I looked under the hood and checked the seams/gaps on the body panels etc. and they looked good. The guy said they were looking for $13,995, but were willing to negotiate (translation give me an offer). Way high, but he was just feeling me out to see if I was serious or not. It is a nice bright red though. After looking at some ratty high mileage 95's this car is amazing. However, I haven't been looking very long and should probably wait until the end of summer. It sounds like $11,300 would be all the money.

-Doc

wopony98

Reaction score
Hell $13,000.00 for a low mile Cobra! Plus its in immaculate condition minus the STB. That is an okay price "okay". The car will run strong, it has been taken care of, I would jump on it. Plus its the rio red with upgraded brakes. That alone is more than your STB. You should see if he will take 11, 500 for it. But you will love the car and what it will give you. Get a car fax on it if you question the condition. If he is the only owner then he will have all the additional information and stuff that came with it. Look a little more then if all is good, I would take it. 27,000 miles is awesome!

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
It is through a dealer so I have a little more protection than buying private party. Plus i know the owner of a body shop down the street that can inspect it for me, to make sure it was never hit, but it is very straight. Will this thing run on 91 Octane fine or do they need 93? Also how much does the strut tower brace do? I believe Ford stopped using them after 1997.

Thanks again.

-Doc

94gtstang50

Reaction score
!. You can run 91, I even put 89 in mine a few times. 2. Were in New England are you from? 3. Strut bar just helps it handle better (stiffens the chassis)

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I bought a 97 Cobra last October. It had 131K on it when I bought it and I paid $6,600 from a dealer. They wanted $9,800. The Blue book on mine was $9,600 so $11,000 for one with 27k on it is probably about right. $13,995 is to high. He left himself allot of wiggle room. Before you go back check the trade in value of the car, on Kelley blue book. It will give you an idea of how much play there is in the price.

Your age may be a factor in the price of the car. The younger you are, the less they may give. I found out about the car through a kid my wife works with. They would not even let him test drive the car due to his age. They also would not budge on the price. He was 19 at the time.

I went in just to look at it with no intention of buying it. But because I was 41 at the time, they were very willing to sell it for trade in value to me, because they felt I would be more responsible with the car than a kid.

By the way. The car is bone stock and it is the most fun car that I have driven in years.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
BUY IT... i bought my 98 cobra 3 months ago for 10k and 86k miles. i would def go down there tomorrow and buy it. 27k mile cobra for 11,300 dollars... that is a great deal! good luck my friend!

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
Sounds a little pricey to me. One of my friends just got a 96 Cobra w/ 28k on the odo for $8,000. I wouldn't pay more than 10k for it, but that's just me. Hell I got my 96 for $6,500 (99.9% original... only mod was a K&N) :D

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Still trying to decide how much it is worth to me, but will go look at it again since I have more time now and take a test drive. It is really a great looking car and SVT does a great job of setting up cars. I have driven a few 03/04 Cobras and Lightnings, with huge smiles always resulting.

-Doc

Iceman12

Reaction score
Well, apparently I paid a lot more for my car then anyone I've seen here. Back in Aug 2004, i paid 15k for my car. Had 23,000 miles, bone stock, and was freakin beautiful. It was significantly cleaner inside and out than both terminators they had in the show room next to it. (and those cars were good clean cars)

The manager told me it was the cleanest car they had ever bought from a customer. Then they told me a nice story about how the guy only sold the car because his wife threatened to leave him if he didn't. Apparently he loved the car a bit too much, and when ever they had a fight, immediately afterwards he would go to the garage and wax the car, so she felt he loved the car more than he loved her.

Anyway, they wanted 16,500 for it, at the time it blue booked at 13,900. I don't think I was riped too bad, and most people when they saw the car thought I paid too little. O well, sorry to ramble, but I felt I had to defend my cars price a little....maybe I love my car a lil too much too.

BTW car now has 50k on it, and I struggle to keep it anywhere as clean as it was in the showroom. That reminds me, I need to detail the engine bay again.

Anyway, my Cobra is by far the funnest car I've ever driven, (I've only driven 2 stangs though, mine and my sis's auto 05 GT), and I know this car will be in my will when I die, it will never be sold.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Iceman12 said:
I know this car will be in my will when I die, it will never be sold.

i plan on keeping my car forever. i know i can if i want too.. its just a matter if i will end up sticking to it.. right now, im sticking to it, i love my car. every night before i go to bed i go out and look at it and get the dust off of her. then i give her a goodnight :-*. hahha

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
doc mayhem.... where in New England do you live cuz i live in New England also Fall River,Ma aka mustang city... if you live nearby let me know ill go check out that cobra for you

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
Iceman12 said:
I know this car will be in my will when I die, it will never be sold.

i plan on keeping my car forever. i know i can if i want too.. its just a matter if i will end up sticking to it.. right now, im sticking to it, i love my car. every night before i go to bed i go out and look at it and get the dust off of her. then i give her a goodnight :-*. hahha

I have had my 1965 Falcon for 25 years, my 1966 coup for 24 years and my 1968GT for 19 years. I plan on keeping my 1997 Cobra just as long. They WILL be left to my kids when I die.

OP
OP
D

Doc_Mayhem

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer SvtBlack95 that is very generous. I am down in RI. I am going to take the week and decide how badly I "need" the car.

-Doc

97vertstang

Reaction score
wow!!! some of u guys got some great deals!!!! around here the cheapest i seen a 96-98 cobra has been $8 grand and it was so- so . $13k for a 20k mile car sounds alright to me. i would however try to bring it down as much as possible.

SLITH3R96

Reaction score
I would watch out if your getting the car for less than 8000, way to little. I got mine for 10500 with 67000 miles, original owner, no major work, had everything documented (all work done at dealership + original cert. from svt + window sticker)
The reason guys are selling these cars are because if you abuse them after 80k they tend to break done more. IE burn oil like crazy :nonono:. The original owner of my car told me honestly that he never had the tach past 4k rpms. It was his wifes car. He had no mods except lowering the car, and it was garage kept. If you can find a cheaper cobra in the condition mines in then go for it. But trust me beware.

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
SLITH3R96 said:
I would watch out if your getting the car for less than 8000, way to little. I got mine for 10500 with 67000 miles, original owner, no major work, had everything documented (all work done at dealership + original cert. from svt + window sticker)
The reason guys are selling these cars are because if you abuse them after 80k they tend to break done more. IE burn oil like crazy :nonono:. The original owner of my car told me honestly that he never had the tach past 4k rpms. It was his wifes car. He had no mods except lowering the car, and it was garage kept. If you can find a cheaper cobra in the condition mines in then go for it. But trust me beware.

got mine for $6,500 and have had it for over 2 years with no problems (except for the shift fork breaking which was my fault). We did get kind of hooked up on it because the car wasn't for sale and my dad was the guys' boss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online