Thinking of buying this F-350 Diesel Dually . . . any tips?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I found an F-350 diesel dually that I'm going to look at today. 161k miles, i included a pic. Truck seems to be in pretty good shape. I can get it between $4,000 and $4,500.

Anything in particular I should be looking for? (I've never had a diesel)

[attachment deleted by admin]

ripper

Reaction score
Did you buy it to tow your stang Tad? If so you dont need a dually. Or a turbo. F-250 with a v8 will do fine. I myself dont like the duals. Just another tire to buy. You only need duals when towing heavy trailers which your car is not. Turbo is nice also but i think most of them come with one now. You def dont need one though. The turbo is for towing heavy loads over mountains. Not very many mountains were you are. F-250 v8 FTW.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Stevo said:
Did you buy it to tow your stang Tad? If so you dont need a dually. Or a turbo. F-250 with a v8 will do fine. I myself dont like the duals. Just another tire to buy. You only need duals when towing heavy trailers which your car is not. Turbo is nice also but i think most of them come with one now. You def dont need one though. The turbo is for towing heavy loads over mountains. Not very many mountains were you are. F-250 v8 FTW.

I'm buying it because I just bought a 24 foot enclosed trailer, in which I will be hauling my car, 2 junior dragsters, a golf cart, and tools, compressor, generator, awnings, yada yada yada. I attached a pic of the trailer.

We do a lot of road trips for racing . . mostly up to Tucson, but also California and Denver (if not this year than next year). So, I do some serious hills.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stevo said:

I wasn't implying that he needs the Turbo, I was just going to say that if it IS a turbo model he might want to find one that is NOT. My father-inlaw has a turbo on his freight truck and he needs it of course, but its constant trouble and something that has to be maintained. I know that a small truck like this would be less likely to have maintenance issues but its something to think about. A diesel is a diesel......even if its on a smaller scale. What year is that truck Tad? And like Stevo said I would think that the 250 with the 8 would be plenty for you and your hauling needs. Again my father inlaw ( at one time ) ran a mini horse ranch here and had a 250 himself that was used to pull HUGE trailers with 3 and 4 horses. His was a mid 80s model.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Yeah . . I'm tired of the gas mileage I'm getting with a V8. The truck is a 92.

ripper

Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
Stevo said:

I'm buying it because I just bought a 24 foot enclosed trailer, in which I will be hauling my car, 2 junior dragsters, a golf cart, and tools, compressor, generator, awnings, yada yada yada. I attached a pic of the trailer.

We do a lot of road trips for racing . . mostly up to Tucson, but also California and Denver (if not this year than next year). So, I do some serious hills.

After seeing your post Tad you def need that truck. And the price is right. Have your motor guy go over it REAL good. You dont wanna be stuck out in the middle of no where. Anything over 5k pounds (which you exceed) you should have duals. It will keep the sway to a minimum. The crew cab will come in handy also. Good find.

I didnt see your post Brian about the turbo. Sorry bro. They have turbo's now with twins so you can get the off line boost then high speed pull. Nice stuff.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
we had a 95 f350 turbo diesel dually.. dear lord, that truck pulled a 24 foot enclosed trailer, with TONS of racing stuff in the back, like it was no problem.. i will always be a big supporter of the 7.3 turbo diesel motors.. there reliable, dependable, strong, and pull like a mofo! get it! :)

ripper

Reaction score
On second thought Tad have your local semi guy check your motor. Diesels are dif from our motors. O0

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Might want to check the spark plugs for any coolant leaks.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Stevo said:
On second thought Tad have your local semi guy check your motor. Diesels are dif from our motors. O0

My engine builder has a Ford diesel. I'm going to see if he can check it out for me. The truck is right down the street from him.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Here's another pic

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Bought the truck. Paid $4,300 for it. Pretty much stole it.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
congrats tad! paint that bia red! lol..

you going to be doing anything to it? just curious... like exterior, motor, interior? anything?

looks good and that truck should last a lifetime. 4300 sounds super cheap for that.. i dont know much about trucks though. it should deffinitely get the job done however. O0 O0

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
congrats tad! paint that bia red! lol..

you going to be doing anything to it? just curious... like exterior, motor, interior? anything?

looks good and that truck should last a lifetime. 4300 sounds super cheap for that.. i dont know much about trucks though. it should deffinitely get the job done however. O0 O0

Yeah . . I'm thinkin about paintin it red and throwing a Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit at it. Prolly do some leather captains chairs in the interior, maybe a couple DVD players for the back.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Stevo said:

I wasn't implying that he needs the Turbo, I was just going to say that if it IS a turbo model he might want to find one that is NOT. My father-inlaw has a turbo on his freight truck and he needs it of course, but its constant trouble and something that has to be maintained. I know that a small truck like this would be less likely to have maintenance issues but its something to think about. A diesel is a diesel......even if its on a smaller scale. What year is that truck Tad? And like Stevo said I would think that the 250 with the 8 would be plenty for you and your hauling needs. Again my father inlaw ( at one time ) ran a mini horse ranch here and had a 250 himself that was used to pull HUGE trailers with 3 and 4 horses. His was a mid 80s model.

dad has an 01 powerstroke and hasnt had any issues with the turbo (or anything else for that matter) in the 3-4 years he has had it. Also my grandfather had various turbo powerstrokes since they came out with them and he only had tranny issues with one. they are definately good motors. you will be very pleased with it tad

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
dad has an 01 powerstroke and hasnt had any issues with the turbo (or anything else for that matter) in the 3-4 years he has had it. Also my grandfather had various turbo powerstrokes since they came out with them and he only had tranny issues with one. they are definately good motors. you will be very pleased with it tad

Yeah . . this one is the old IH 7.3 non-turbo. I'm thinking about throwing a Banks Sidewinder kit at it. O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.