Thinking of going a carb set up...

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
Anyone dump the fuel injection to go carb? i mean as it is the car is more like a strip/street car. i have had better luck with carb then FI. all my cars up to the 95 cobra have been carb. plus it seems like its easier to tune. less parts. what yall think? any feed back appreciated.
Marc

Reaction score
Well its all up to you, going to a carb will probably net a little more power, but then you have to buy a new manifold and all that crap lol. But you will lose some gas mileage with it. If it's a daily driver, then don't do it. Weekend warrior, I would suggest it. Drag Racer...I'm all for it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldnt run a carb on a STREET CAR, but thats just me. If you visit the track OFTEN and drive on the street VERY LITTLE then maybe :-\ but for a car thats on the street everyday I would stick with the efi.

OP
OP
W

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
ya i will be hitting the track often. i cruise the streets and play around. but its not my daily.

Reaction score
Then I say go for it, it would be different. Not that many run carb on 5.0's since 1986.

Nacho

Reaction score
I've considered this as well, and I came to the same conclusion, if it's d/d forget about it, but if not, then go for it. My car won't be a d/d later, so I'm really thinking of carbing it. I will cruise in it on weekends and shit, but that's it. The overall clean look it'll have it awesome. Dealing with al the sensor crap its also good. Fumes are bad when driving, and tuning it is impossible when it comes to adding fuel and such at a given rpm, but they each have pros and cons. I'm sticking to it.

95-stang

Reaction score
I asked this on the MOCGB, but no one had done it, or consider it, all that worried me is how tall a carb and filter would be, would it clear the hood when shut?
To get rid of all the electrical crap, cats, o2 sensors would be a dream come true, just need a new dizzy, and stick the computer in a box in the garage.
Bad news is the auto box has no kick down cable, its all electric, might take a bit of thinking here.

Nacho

Reaction score
I have no idea what MCOGB means, but you did tell them that some people out there make COWL hoods, right? Damn people just worried about looks. :gtfo: You will need a new fuel pump as well. I really haven't dug into it too much, but once the time comes near, I will.

G

GREG@SN95

ya... ya'll need some stuff... but building a carb'd motor is 100x cheaper the fuckin EFI...

It will kill MPG... but who cares :dunno:... fuck the earth... ha ha

and make sure ya get a 4bbl carb and do heads, cam and all that good stuff or ya'll barely make any power... or even lose power...

The most restrictive part of out motors are the stock POS heads... so if you swap to carb and do the heads ya'll make power and save alot of $$$

vbr pete

Reaction score
hi there

i just registered like seven seconds ago.nice site you have here!!

anyhoo,i just had to kick in on this topic.i have a 94 GT,5 gear...put a new engine in it last year(i run a mustang shop in my hometown),and went a LEEEETLE bit far for the EEC to handle it. Heads,10.2:1 forged TRWs,crower cam/valvetrain..MAN the EEC hated it,couldnt tune it for anything.

well,for five years i've been pulling the EFI kits of fox cars and later and carbing them,and EVERYBODY loves em.Even as a daily driver it's not THAT bad,because i usually will put a 600 cfm Edelbrock or Holley (vacuum secondary) carb for street use,and use a 750 vac or 650 double pumper when it hits the track.Best of both worlds,and it takes 10 minutes to change.

Mine now runs a Weiand Xcelerator single plane intake,750 vacuum secondary holley 3310 carb,an electric (holley blue) pump with regulator,stock pump pulled out of course and a custom made pickup in its place.it also has an MSD billet distributor but runs a crane Hi-6 rather than an MSD box because the digital system has two built in rev limiters,no chips etc.

also runs a 150 shot nitrous kit but i havent tried it yet

but yes,the difference is remarkable.very easy to tune,there's a TON of tricks out there like the Holley ADJUST A JET kit.it's a billet plate that sits between the front float bowl and metering block--no more opening it up to change the jets,you just turn a screwdriver.

the car is CLEAN under the hood,as i pulled the stock wiring and EVERYTHING out,even the ABS system and redid all the brake lines.in fact,where the stock airbox used to be ended up completely clear of EVERYTHIN; so i made an aluminum plate and installed a tach,vacuum gauge,oil pressure and water temp gauges as well,then mounted the Hi-6 and crane coil on it as well.makes tuning SOOO easy when all the gauges are right there

so yeah CARB IT,it's very easy and you CAN do it for under $500 if you dont mind used parts..it goes up from there.i've used stock 85 distributors/Duraspark boxes, the kit i have on mine,and the best "entry level" kit used an MSD "READY TO RUN" billet distributor that doesnt even need an external box of any type,very clean

any questions,feel free to ask,i've been down this road many times

OP
OP
W

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
Ya the more and more i think about coverting to carb. the more i want to. Although i love my cobra, the previous owner really didnt. They didnt take care of it. so repairing/ replacing everything is just gonna be too much $. so i figure i just do the car the way i want to. seeing that im going to be tearing down and upgrading my 66 stang. i can take most if not all the stuff on there. all im really needing is fuel pump, and a few other things. but i will keep yall posted on how everything goes.

Nacho

Reaction score
vbrpete, have you build big motors? I don't know if you've done mainly 302s. How about building a 408-418, what carbs do you recommend, jets and all supporting crap.

Thanks

vbr pete

Reaction score
yes,i've actually gone as high as the one i'm doing right now,in a 90 hatch....it's a 514 crate motor.uses a 1050 cfm Dominator

built several 351 based motors,including a 408. BIG nasty Comp Cam in it,Roush 200 heads,10.5:1 compression,little bit o juicemand a Victor intake.nice and peppy

anyhoo,as far as jetting and everything goes it is STRICTLY on a what-do-you-have-now basis.you have to be able to say "i have THIS cam,THESE heads,THIS intake,This trans,This gear,in THIS car and i'm going to do THIS with it." then you say what carb to start with,but for any big-inch small bloch i'd start with a 750 vacuum on the street and a 750 DP for track use.chances are a SERIOUS motor will have a single plane intake--not great on the street,and not wise to use a vacuum secondary,so the double pumper would pretty much be a necessity.once you have the carb,you start with Holley's own baseline tune,say a 70 primary(front) jet and an 84 rear,.031 shooters,red accelerator pump cams.then you put it all together and get it running.

THEN comes the fun part.you get to spend a day at the track,or on a chassis dyno.you also get to spend on things like jets(a Holley assortment kit is a great idea),or a Holley/Percy's Adjust-A-Jet.lots of float bowl gaskets and o-rings too,cuz you'll be changing them out several times to get the front end tune proper.then do it AGAIN for the rears.in the meantime you'll also be fine tuning the accelerator pump system,with the pump cams and shooters,in order to get the crispest,bog free launch you can.once you're at the point where the car will not go faster,BINGO you've found happiness.of course,change anything else on the car or motor that affects engine performance and you get to fine tune it again

it sounds daunting,but it's really quite simple.pick up a book like "HOLLEY CARBS" by Dave Emmanuel,it's ancient but it tells everything you'll ever want to know aboot carbs and tuning.once you have a car tuned properly,the carb will work just as well as EFI for drivability,you'll get a few more HP at the expense (maybe) of some MPG.but you wont need a computer scientist and a laptop,a chip burner,a wide-band EGO,four sets of injectors....you get the idea

Nacho

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Pete. I'll keep that title in mind. May go looking for it this weekend. O0

donho

Reaction score
A carb will make more power then the factory EFI anyday. Plus it is fully streetable. Unless you have a properly tuned FAST setup, a carb will make more power.

Plus it is MUCH cheaper. Even an aftermaket instake cannot flwo as well as a good carb setup. We used to drive daily with a victor jr intake and a 750 DP with our stock bottom end 302s
You want a good carb? Call Patrick at Pro Systems. He will build you a carb dead nuts for your setup. Forget buying over the counter carbs. They are never dead on.

I have driven super victors on the street. But on a 302 based motor, a Parker Funnel Web is the best intake I ever used. Picked up over a ported Super Victor.
Go carb and go happy!!! EFI is for clowns(unless it is programable)

Nacho

Reaction score
Thanks buddy. I really want to become educated on carbs. Any websites I can read up on. From how they work to tuning them.

G

GREG@SN95

hm...

maybe I'll do a carb swap once I continue with the rebuild...

I got 21mpg in my car... and I plan to get a set of gt40 heads which should help mpg... I hate all those fuckin wires too...
-----------------------------

donho... got any underhood pics?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online