Thinking of going auto (Plenty of Questions)

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Alright, Im in the thought process of the possibility of going auto. Whats the best trans to go with for drag racing use and occasional street driving. Whats the most affordable way to go about this. I will probably end up selling my T45 thats in perfect working order, king cobra clutch, driveshaft, clutch adjustable cable and B&M shifter to help pay for the auto swap.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Alright, Im in the thought process of the possibility of going auto. Whats the best trans to go with for drag racing use and occasional street driving. Whats the most affordable way to go about this. I will probably end up selling my T45 thats in perfect working order, king cobra clutch, driveshaft, clutch adjustable cable and B&M shifter to help pay for the auto swap.

4r75w will do everything you want it to. Youll need the auto harness and make sure the computer can have the auto functions enabled. A lot of guys run this trans in stock form with a good converter and it works out great.

You could get a 4r70w, and itll still do what you want it to. Wichers123 just did an auto swap on his turbo 5.4L car.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you will also want a pedal assembly, if you just remove the clutch pedal the brake is too close to the gas....

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Great, might be a dumb question but is there a suitable trans the doesnt require a ecu to run?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Makes sense. Just wanting to know the least difficult way to make a auto drag friendly and compatible to my car. As in what all I would need to buy or alter.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Makes sense. Just wanting to know the least difficult way to make a auto drag friendly and compatible to my car. As in what all I would need to buy or alter.

Honestly man, the 4r70 is easy to run. It plugs right in to your car, just need the tune. Or you could get a full manual valve body and wire up a lockup switch for the torque converter. [MENTION=18292]Wichers123[/MENTION] went this same route with his, maybe he'll chime in.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Haha took me two tags to get me to chime in. 4r70w is a strong transmission I went full manual vb and I love it. The torque converter I recommend spending money on the billet option so you can lock 3rd (unless your n/a). I lock and OD with relays so the car is still daily drivable if wanted even though I don't. I used a stock rebuild kit from William (lwarrior) and used all the stock hard parts. I did put a hardened stub shaft to play it safe.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Honestly man, the 4r70 is easy to run. It plugs right in to your car, just need the tune. Or you could get a full manual valve body and wire up a lockup switch for the torque converter. [MENTION=18292]Wichers123[/MENTION] went this same route with his, maybe he'll chime in.

This is the way to go. Lockup switches are easy peasy, and the manual valve body is doing pretty much what i was getting at. All hydro except for ur torque lock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online