Those on the bags. Get your asses in here.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The auto-leveling system I have has 3 presets, slammed, drive-height and then the high-water/oh sh!t preset. I am pretty good at either hitting #3 or airing it up enough by the time I get there to not worry.

I really wish I had recorded the first time I went to a show and laid it out as anyone that had been questioning it would no longer. I didn't get it for other peoples reactions but it was a fun bonus for sure. People don't expect it from a stang to say the least.

Thats cool man! With the kit I picked can you manually adjust the ride height whenever? I mean not at 50 mph but say rolling slow and you see a speed bump and want to raise it up. How does the alignment thing work? Where I am, there is one bagged car and thats a ugly ass plastidipped VW Golf GTI. Nobody would ever expect a Mustang to be bagged at all. I'm more of a show then go guy. I'd rather have the paint looking clean, car setup exterior wise, nice sound system and a good exhaust.. Than air out when I park. It's more rare then just having the typical hci mustang and making noise.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can put it up or down while driving if needed but the auto leveling system only works when its not moving. There are 4 sensors that are basically just small electrical motors that attach to the frame and the moving part attaches to the swing arm so as the suspension goes up/down so does the sensor. Between those and the bag pressure that it monitors you set up the height you want and program it, next time you push the button it will match up the readings as best it can. I think it reads the sensors more then the pressures as the pressure could vary depending on how many people were in it, but the height does not change.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score

all you need!!!! i understand the cool factor of having a kit that raises the car to whatever ride height you set it at...however i can't justify the cost for this feature lol. if you have ever had an air ride kit you would understand the ease of just having to drive the car and see what your gauges read when the ride feels the best...remember those numbers and always hop in and raise the car to those numbers...that's it :)

unless you have $$ burning holes in your pocket i'd grab a level 1 kit.

as far as installing the kit. man it is so much easier than people think. if you can swap out springs...you can install the actual bags and mounts....if you can run/tuck audio wires/cables...you can run air line...if you can read.....you can wire the plug & play harness. simple shit my man.

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I've hear Airlift is coming out w/ their SN kit this spring - have a buddy foaming at the mouth to pick it up for his Cobra.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
all you need!!!! i understand the cool factor of having a kit that raises the car to whatever ride height you set it at...however i can't justify the cost for this feature lol. if you have ever had an air ride kit you would understand the ease of just having to drive the car and see what your gauges read when the ride feels the best...remember those numbers and always hop in and raise the car to those numbers...that's it :)

unless you have $$ burning holes in your pocket i'd grab a level 1 kit.

as far as installing the kit. man it is so much easier than people think. if you can swap out springs...you can install the actual bags and mounts....if you can run/tuck audio wires/cables...you can run air line...if you can read.....you can wire the plug & play harness. simple shit my man.

You lost me in the first paragraph lol. Not sure what ya meant there. I can do all that stuff, so it should be doable lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
You lost me in the first paragraph lol.

seriously? lol ok

so some kits come with a feature that automatically raises the car for you to what ever you set it at for your ride height. i think this feature is upwards of $1,000. what i'm saying is it is not worth that price tag imo. all you need to do is get in your car...play around with different heights until you feel comfortable...once you find the height you like...look at your gauges...remember what they are on....there is your ride height for the next time you get in. pretty simple man

i think i used to run around 70psi in the front and 30 in the rear....every time i got in i would raise the car to those exact #'s and go.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
seriously? lol ok

so some kits come with a feature that automatically raises the car for you to what ever you set it at for your ride height. i think this feature is upwards of $1,000. what i'm saying is it is not worth that price tag imo. all you need to do is get in your car...play around with different heights until you feel comfortable...once you find the height you like...look at your gauges...remember what they are on....there is your ride height for the next time you get in. pretty simple man

i think i used to run around 70psi in the front and 30 in the rear....every time i got in i would raise the car to those exact #'s and go.

Oooh I gotcha! Yeah dude I thought you were being sarcastic I didn't catch on lol. Makes sense though. I don't think thats worth 1k either. The way you said it I thought you meant bags weren't worth it lmao. Understood now

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
I'd just go pick up some 2600 Slams and a Viair dual 400 pack, 5 gal tank, 3/8" line and some manual paddle valves. I've heard those AT blocks are super slow and only 1/4" lines. Bigger bags ride smoother and require less air for lift.

Also, I've heard the strut bags don't get very low so can anyone here comfirm that?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Anyone with bags AutoX their car? How do these things perform vs just looking cool when you park?

look up ridetech autocross....several autocross cars with air suspensions that compete. not sure of any results of any race with one on air ride vs one on coilovers as they probably are different classes but i would bet they would hang with any coilover suspension.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I would imagine that the air ride suspension would handle just fine in an AutoX event, but I am worried about how robust air ride suspension systems are. Would hard cornering and hard braking risk popping the air bag? I like the concept of adjustable ride height, but air bags and air pumps and a whole lot of hose seems like a lot of failure points. I have seen a 7-series BMW on bags lay frame at freeway speeds. Turned that luxury sedan into smoking skidding sleigh shooting rooster tails of sparks out from under it. I laughed, because I don't like BMW's, but it left a lasting impression on me regarding air bag suspensions.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not worry about wearing out a bag. Sure there is always the risk of failure but they are fairly robust systems if they are installed correctly.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone with bags AutoX their car? How do these things perform vs just looking cool when you park?

Depends whether you're talking about a dedicated track car or having a bagged car that you swing around the track once a year. Most of the track testing and comparisons done on bags at the track are done by air suspension companies. You don't see coilover or other non-air suspension companies even bothering to test bags on track cars. Bag companies are all for proving their product works on the track however the incontestable fact is that for track use nothing is going to beat the simple, adjustable, affordable, and durability of a coilover suspension. However if you want to look good parked and maybe go on a track a few times, I'm sure bags would be just fine.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
op if you really want to see the pro's of having an air suspension...just take a ride in this guys ^ car.....you'd give a nut for them bags trust and believe /thread!

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
op if you really want to see the pro's of having an air suspension...just take a ride in this guys ^ car.....you'd give a nut for them bags trust and believe /thread!

Lmao **** that. Gotta be an awful ride, not sloppy just hard and annoying. Tony.. I'm pulling the trigger man.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why you're talking about my car as if you've ever ridden in it Tony. You'd be surprised at how well a car rides with the correct spring rate and matching shock/strut combination, whether high or dumped. I'm sure an air suspension will do the same. I was just answering the guys' question. No need to get personal ;)

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how well a car rides with the correct spring rate and matching shock/strut combination

+1

My buddies Lexus that is slammed on the ground is extremely comfortable with the coils. Only issue is there is a lot rubbing when you get on a rough surface like a parking lot.

Untitled by rhinestonechowboy, on Flickr

5wpYPt2l.jpg

But at the same time he wants to go to air ride so its more drivable (highway, since we live in a smaller city and it would be nice to drive to shows) and he can go with a more aggressive fit.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Not sure why you're talking about my car as if you've ever ridden in it Tony. You'd be surprised at how well a car rides with the correct spring rate and matching shock/strut combination, whether high or dumped. I'm sure an air suspension will do the same. I was just answering the guys' question. No need to get personal ;)

+1

My buddies Lexus that is slammed on the ground is extremely comfortable with the coils. Only issue is there is a lot rubbing when you get on a rough surface like a parking lot.

Untitled by rhinestonechowboy, on Flickr

5wpYPt2l.jpg

But at the same time he wants to go to air ride so its more drivable (highway, since we live in a smaller city and it would be nice to drive to shows) and he can go with a more aggressive fit.

you can combo the fuuuk outta springs and struts all day long and even if you do ever get a nice ride on a car tucking tire your life is fuuk'd as soon as ya need to clear some tracks, speed bumps, steep entrances, high spots in the road, fuuk man the list goes on and on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online