Throttle bodies

J_lope82

Reaction score
96 mustang GT 4.6 2V with PI swap heads, cams and intake on a non pi short block.
I am looking at upgrading the stock throttle body plenum but I am undecided because there are several size. Don’t know which one would be better for my engine. There are 68, 70, 73, 75 78mm sizes. I don’t plan on upgrading the rest of the engine too much. Maybe just a cam swap and that’s it. Which size do you all recommend that would be the best bang for the buck?

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Accufab plenum/TB combo is widely regarded as the best. You will see almost zero difference between 70mm and 75mm TB especially on a relatively stock long block. Accufab even posts their airflow numbers and it's a whopping 6 cfm difference between the two throttle body sizes.

That said 75mm gives you the most flexibility down the line if you decide to add boost. If the price is identical go with the 75mm. Personally I went with the 70mm only because I got a screaming deal on it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve used 75mm throttle bodies on all my mustangs. Like racer said it’s not going to make a difference. It’s the plenum that’s the real restriction.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yup, as said above, it's mostly the plenum.
The only throttle body other than OEM I trusted to run on my car is Accufab. All the others have sticking blades, or idle issues. They are expensive, but it's a nice piece.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what size are the intake openings on the modulars? I know on the 94/95 that its only 70mm wide but everybody throws a 75 on it and swears by it. I ported mine to 75mm to match the tb which was not all that hard.

I would also tell you not to get the cheapest you can find. Years ago I found a perty perty polished pro products 75mm and after I put it on I had hanging idle problems until the day I took it off. I tried the band aid fixes with making a gasket to limit how much air could get by it but it just never did want to run right with that PP tb. I have talked to one other person that said they had the same experience.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The only bad thing about my bbk was the throttle linkage was slightly bent to where the idel was high
Had to make some corrections on it

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I got proproducts 75mm and upper plenum. It feeds a 5.4l 2v through an edelbrock intake. Im happy with the results.

A 5.4l truck throttle body is 70mm and bolts on the same way. Youll have to swap the 4.6l butterfly leaver onto the 5.4l throttle body. Not a big deal. Grind and tack weld and youll have a real cheap upgrade.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went with an edelbrock 75mm in the end and have been happy with it but I don't think they make them anymore. Never used the bbk to have an opinion.

chithead

Reaction score
I'm running the SVE 75mm paired to the Trick Flow upper plenum - only issue I can remember is it didn't want to start when first swapping, but it was a mistake on my part with the throttle position sensor. After figuring out how to seat it properly (flush), she fired right up.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I went with an edelbrock 75mm in the end and have been happy with it but I don't think they make them anymore. Never used the bbk to have an opinion.
your not missing anything with them
i have worked on a few of them trying to get the idle i want out of them
the quality is not that great
if the linkage is slightly bent chances are the shaft on blade is to
i have sent 3 back to manufacturer

07GtS197

Reaction score
Is BBK known for making ANY quality products? Too my knowledge once Mac was gone they became the defacto cheap option for everything.
I mean their intakes aren’t bad quality wise, just ugly imo. But yeah I’d have to agree. Funny, mac did make some cheap stuff but they did have some good stuff too like their exhaust components.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I mean their intakes aren’t bad quality wise, just ugly imo. But yeah I’d have to agree. Funny, mac did make some cheap stuff but they did have some good stuff too like their exhaust components.
Never seen a set of Mac headers that didn't leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online