Throw Out Bearing retainer sleeve

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
Ok guys/gals. I have a 1997 GT with the stock t45 transmission. While replacing the clutch components, we noted that the support sleeve on the input shaft has broken loose because the original owner was driving it with a bad TOB. My question is, can this piece be pressed out of the bell if it is broken off? It is currently spinning freely on the outside of the housing, and the inner piece is still in the bell (it broke at the base). Will this require a new bell housing or can I just take the bell off, flip it upside down, and carefully tap it out? I've seen it done before on one that was still in one piece, but with mine being broken, I'm not sure if the same principal will work. New clutch is in, but I can't justify putting a new throw out bearing on if this sleeve is broken. It will only eat into my new clutch and I'll end up right back where it was before (squeaking and chirping like crazy). The pic below is the piece I'm talking about. Mine it completely broken at the base. I want to fix her right the first time so I don't end up in the same boat in another 20k miles. Your input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. All this aside, I'm amazed at how clean my undercarriage is! Not a spec of rust or fluids! tobsleeve.jpg

Alex"scoopdaman88"

Reaction score
I just went the same thing on my
97' Gt vert. I went to change out the TOB and seen the same thing,and was like wtf so I started looking and yes you can tap it out carefully but when you take the bell housing off be sure not to lose the bearing race and shim that's back there and be gent when pulling the bell housing off to not damage the input shaft or knock it off. But I am having a baby in a few days and was a little strap on cash right and only have one car as right now,and could not afford a new sleeve. So to be honest I welded the sleeve back on and I had to file on the shaft cause the Tob ate into the sleeve. But it's it's holding
strong for now till I get a new sleeve. Thank God too I was worried about it frfr

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good info! Thanks for chiming in. I have never been through this but sure glad you guys posted about it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online