Throwing Around Some Ideas

ZWilson07

Reaction score
hey guys im normally over in the 5.0 section learning and reading up but I was throwing around the idea of getting a newer sn95 like a 99. Im honestly not going to keep the 4.6 and eventually would change it out but the new body update looks soooo much better. This acourse will be a project so im not expecting to be all nice and fancy when I first get it. Its going to be put in the garage and worked on and changed and wont be used as my DD. So with that being said how much do you think it would cost me to get into a 99 4.6 5spd with prolly higher miles. Im looking for the cheapest gt particular because like I said ill be changing the motor so im really not looking for a low mileage one or nothing. I was thinking what prolly 4 or 5 grand for a high mileage kinda rough ok shape? Does that sound about right? anymore suggestions would be great. Thanks, Zach.

1bdsnk96

Reaction score
sounds about right 4or 5 g's you should look at the prestige mustang website you can probably find what your looking for. good luck

Marvin97

Reaction score
Just need to look around, check out craigslist in your area, im sure there are some around you. What do you plan on changing the 4.6 out for anyway? just curious why you would go through all the trouble of swapping motors in a car you just bought.

OP
OP
Z

ZWilson07

Reaction score
Just dont want to put alot of money into the modular 4.6 just not really my thing, I would rather have a fuel injected 302 or most likely going with fuel injected 351.

OP
OP
Z

ZWilson07

Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
96-04 gt = 2v
96-04 cobra = 4v

Thanks thats what I was thinking. How is building the 2v, is it usually smarter to put a new motor in like a fuel injected 302 or 351 if your better with those engines because im not to good with the newer mod motors and the inner workings. and Ive always heard that for the money itd prolly be smarter to dump the modular 4.6

and wow def posted this in the wrong section, sorry about that. If a mod wants to move it over to the 2v section itd be greatly appreciated.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
well if you go to a pushrod in a new edge mustang your going to need a whole new computer and your gunna have a fun time passing emissions..

So you may as well buy one and just build the hell out of the 2v.. its alot cheaper than a 4v.. by about 1/2 the price at least lol(for some things anyways)..

Im sure Duffy will come in and make a comment about the 4v then move it to the section he sees fit.. so no worries.. hes been on top of it lately

Marvin97

Reaction score
well to swap in an old pushrod motor you will need a k-member setup for one, it won't just bolt it. You will probably also need a different computer and engine harness.

Shifty Powers said:
^ If you are going to buy a GT it will not have the 4v.... it will have a 2v and parts will be cheaper
The 2v is a cheaper motor to buy, but you will need full bolt-ons and cams to make the kind of power that bolt-on 4v's make. Cams are about the only thing cheaper on a 2v than a 4v. And you could argue that it would definitely be cheaper to mod an old 5.0 than a 2v.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
I wouldnt say Cams are the only thing cheaper..

but yea a pushrod would be cheaper lol.. im not arguin that.. just goin on what the OP wanted to do..

and es good point made about ude end up spending the extra money you saved on the 2v in parts to make it as fast as a bolt on 4v..

Also do you have an exhaust video of you driving by a camera? What mid pipe are you running as well?

jabird

Reaction score
I picked up a 98 GT for $4500. Love the 4.6 motors. I also have a few pickups with the 2v 4.6 motors, and would not consider a pushrod motor even close to the mod motors. Seriously, you should look for a Cobra or a GT 99 or newer. :rolleyes:

Marvin97

Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
Also do you have an exhaust video of you driving by a camera? What mid pipe are you running as well?
Im running a Mac offroad xpipe that i had cut down to fit the longtubes. I haven't made another exhaust video yet, I blew a headgasket right after that old video i made. I had to pull the heads obviously and now i have an exhaust leak on the driverside head from not getting it back together right. Im gonna put a tubular kmember in it this spring and fix the leak, i'll make a new video then.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
nice.. wanna hear that LM2s sound like with Lts with a quality video
well if tomorrow is nice, i'll take the car out and make a video. You will just have to disregard the small leak. But i'm telling you, there's nothing like them. What do you have on your car now?

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
just the O/R X and LM2s... I want LTs but cant seem to find a nice used set.. and right now i cant justify a new set since i need to rebuild the front end and suspension first

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
you get the vid? Dont mess with me man.. if the video is good.. itl prob end up forcing me to shell out the loot i need for suspension and get LTs as in right now.. already talking to someone about a set hahaha..

way to go man!!! way to screw it up for me hahaha

Marvin97

Reaction score
I took a vid, but i had to wedge my camera under the passenger side headrest for the ride along and it somehow picked up alot of vibration from 3000rpm's and up. so i'll make another one, with someone else holding the camera and hopefully it comes out better. Sorry buddy lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online