Throwout bearing confusion.

gt_thunder

Reaction score
Okay, I have researched this left and right to no avail. I believe my 99 GT is showing symptoms of a failing throwout bearing.
Rotational squeaking noise in neutral foot off clutch. When I push the clutch in it disappears. I can even just lightly rest my foot on the clutch and it will go away.

There is also noise when in gear but it's difficult to identify with the exhaust in the background.

Looking online 60% say throwout bearing 35% say pilot bearing and 5% something else. It is so back and forth that it's frustrating.

So which is it?[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I'm going to say throw out bearing because it moves with the clutch pedal. The pilot bearing is not loaded forward or backward. It is the solely to center the input shaft of the transmission. If it was bad you would have terrible noises all the time and probably have a bad vibration. All that being said, if you take the trans down and change one then the other bearing is right there easily accessible and easily changed.

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
Understood. Well the symptoms you've described definitely point towards your throwout bearing being the culprit.
I appreciate the response. It seems a lot of people online seem to have pilot and TOB symptoms switched up.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TOB

get a genuine Ford bearing from your local dealership

if you have an adjustable clutch cable, make sure you have 1/8-1/4" of free space between the TOB face and the clutch fingers with the clutch released

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
TOB all day long, but for real, if you have it taken that far down, do the pilot bearing. Get yourself some merita bread and hammer it into the hole to get the bearing out. Thank me later.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
12308132_3.jpg

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
TOB all day long, but for real, if you have it taken that far down, do the pilot bearing. Get yourself some merita bread and hammer it into the hole to get the bearing out. Thank me later.

Wait....what? lol I've heard of using grease but never bread. I like the idea of bread better tho. Have a sandwich while youre down there

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
I may replace the pilot bearing as well, do I need to remove the flywheel to do this or can I go through the center of it with a pilot bearing removal tool?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They just told you!!!!! Bread is the removal tool!!!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
They just told you!!!!! Bread is the removal tool!!!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!
Honestly I think I'd rather start off with the tool first. If that doesn't work I'll try other methods. My main thing is do I need to remove the flywheel or no?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly I think I'd rather start off with the tool first. If that doesn't work I'll try other methods. My main thing is do I need to remove the flywheel or no?

To use the tool you'll need to take the flywheel off. Im going to warn you though, the tools are not that great with our pilot bearings. You will be much better of just using the bread and you will save yourself a lot of headache.

Thomas_W

Reaction score

you have to remove the clutch and pressure plate. You may be able to leave the flywheel on, it depends on the puller. But even if you have to pull the flywheel, its only 6/8 bolts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online