Throwout bearing replacement (labor)

1bad95

Reaction score
I dont think it will be bad at all with the t5 as you can unbolt the trans from the bell. The top will be easy. The pilot could be tougher if your headers won't allow your bell to come out very easily. Stupid t45 the bell bolts from the inside so you have to remove and install with the bell and trans together.

If your clutch is worn might be a good time to throw one in too and only have to pay labor once vs again later, as they will be pulling it apart to get to the pilot bearing

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Clutch is 6 months old, its fine. Wait.. clutch comes off too for the pilot bearing? Excuse my lack of knowledge on manual transmissions

chris91

Reaction score
There really isnt too much involved to dropping the trans. Starter comes out, drop exhaust and driveshaft, undo clutch cable, then undo tranny bolts, and then drop crossmember. Then if you don't have a trans jack, have one of you bigger buddies with some muscles get under it and manhandle it out. Did my first one in my 99 in an uneven driveway on four stands. Did my second one recently in a small one car garage. No specialty tools needed whatsoever.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
There really isnt too much involved to dropping the trans. Starter comes out, drop exhaust and driveshaft, undo clutch cable, then undo tranny bolts, and then drop crossmember. Then if you don't have a trans jack, have one of you bigger buddies with some muscles get under it and manhandle it out. Did my first one in my 99 in an uneven driveway on four stands. Did my second one recently in a small one car garage. No specialty tools needed whatsoever.

I know it's not too involved but here's my situation. No garage or driveway to do it, only a small spot in the street. One floorjack. I don't have the time nor the umph to do it myself right now. Its averaging 30 degrees out, last thing I want to attempt is dropping the trans in this weather. Add to the mix its my daily, I need it ready to go 24/7. I'd feel more comfortable letting the transmission shop handle it honestly. If it was warmer and I had something else to drive, I'd attempt it. But right now it's not something I wanna screw with.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I totally understand not wanting to do it in the weather.

Side note, I wonder if you've got enough extensions to get the top bolts, probably the hardest part of the job lol.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I totally understand not wanting to do it in the weather.

Side note, I wonder if you've got enough extensions to get the top bolts, probably the hardest part of the job lol.

Yeah it bugs me that I'm not able to do it because of the shitty weather. Believe me, I started the mindset of no more mechanics unless its rear end, trans, welding.. I've been doing everything myself, last mechanic I paid was for the 5 speed swap back in june.. Besides that I've done the springs, control arms, swaybar, mgw short throw, and all the other little things here and there. So I guess paying once in awhile isn't too bad. I got extensions for days haha so I'm covered there if need be.