ticking or clackin noise

Rantheman

Reaction score
it possiable your cams and valves are barely kissing each other or in other words ptv contact. just have some one look at it or degree your cams if you have after market

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
no aftermarket cams. im gonna throw the 01 heads back on the motor to see if that fixes it. if it does then im gonna send the ported heads off to get more work done to them. you know aftermarket cams, springs, valve work, etc. get those done so its one less thing i have to worry about for my motor build when i get back from iraq. id rather have it running at this point then worry about horsepower. ill get the power back and then some later.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I would put money on the injectors. When they tap like that its not just the injector its the whole fuel rail and everything. When i unpluged on it still continued to tick like that b/c of the pressure in the line of the fuel rail. Try putting a flat head screw driver on the injector and tell me thats not the noice you hear. I have the same sound and i can even hear mine when standing 8ft away from my car with the hood down. lol sorry. Also it could be the cam not degreed right. and i've heard of that on stop pi cams also. Good luck. and if you want to give me your messed up ported heads send them my way lol.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
i think i finally figured out what the problem is. im gonna check it out when i get off of work today. i think its my alternator. how the hell its doing that noise i have no idea. had another set of ears come by and he said that he though it was the alternator. i have another alternator to throw just to see if it makes the noise. its the wrong one but at least i can run the car for a min or two without overheating the thing cause the belt would be off. if not then its one less thing trouble shoot.

G

GREG@SN95

heres a trick to figure where the noise is comin from...

take a broomstick... hold one end up to your ear... and place other end on different parts of the motor...

its very simple and a sure way to figure where the noise is coming from...

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
thats the thing ive taken a mechanics stethoscope to the car and hear it from the front end and in the back by the tranny. it runs from front to back. i ran the car for about 20 secs with the belt off and its nothing belt driven. would a bad crank pulley make noises?? im think im just gonna have to wait till i get my tax returns then take the car to ford cause i just dont know anymore.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well if nothing else it might be time for a rebuild..........or just bearings and rings.

G

GREG@SN95

98armygt said:
thats the thing ive taken a mechanics stethoscope to the car and hear it from the front end and in the back by the tranny. it runs from front to back. i ran the car for about 20 secs with the belt off and its nothing belt driven. would a bad crank pulley make noises?? im think im just gonna have to wait till i get my tax returns then take the car to ford cause i just dont know anymore.

axctually... i had a similar problem...

the water pump pully was hitting the harmonic balance... see if thats the problem

voidfinger

Reaction score
OMG how the heck did the water pump pulley hit the harmonic balencer???????

G

GREG@SN95

voidfinger said:
OMG how the heck did the water pump pulley hit the harmonic balencer???????

i don't know... I put washers between the waterpump pully and the pump... fixed it...

They barely touched

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
well im not gonna rebuild the motor. guess you dont know the whole story. well my 98 block started the problem. i have an 01 block in there now. same problem. the only thing thats left would be the harmonic balancer. thats what i used from the 98 block cause its got the underdrive on it. so im gonna put the stock 01 back on it. see what that does. if not then its tranny related and thats gonna really tick me off.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
no worries man. well i got another persons idea about what else could be the problem. a cracked exhaust manifold. i didnt even think about that cause the noise wouldnt happen till the car got warm. but a crack in the welds might do it i guess. wouldnt open up till the engine got warm and everything expanded. then it ticks away. well ill see today when i pull the exhaust off of the car. that should be a fun time for me.

voidfinger

Reaction score
hmmmm i would think that it would be the other way around. My pop's f150 5.0 has a cracked manifold and it sounds like shit till the truck warms up and the crack closes itself, but it could happen. good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online