Tightening strut nut

A_+

Reaction score
So I just installed some Fox struts on my 95 with hand tools only. Some of you who have done this are probably familiar with the spin you get when you attempt to tighten said nut. I’m thinking I might need some extra hands because I’ve tightened as much as I can. I just put a flat head in the center and tightened with a crescent wrench and this is what I came up with. Compared to the stock strut, it looks like it needs to be tightened a little more. What do y’all think?IMG_2825.jpgIMG_2826.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It should be fine. If you can, try to find an impact and try to run it down with it. Usually that's the best way to drive them home.

I have sockets with big flat tips (forget what they're actually called) that I have used for this when an impact was not available and they worked well.

Yours look like they should be fine though, like you, I'd like to have a few more threads showing if possible.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I’m gonna tighten it up some more (or try to) when I find some to hold either tool as well as tighten it up once I sit the car down. Maybe pull up to a random mechanic shop and ask them what kind of impact they use and run to my car real quick to tighten them bolts up.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not proud of this but I have actually used a large flat head with a crescent wrench on the handle and another wrench on the nut o_O It worked but it's sketchy if you like your fender paint haha

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not proud of this but I have actually used a large flat head with a crescent wrench on the handle and another wrench on the nut o_O It worked but it's sketchy if you like your fender paint haha

I've done it!

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Well, I’ve tightened the passenger side as much as I can but so far I have busted my knuckles 3 times just trying to remove the driver side. I’m thinking I might have to cut it off!

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Ended up grinding it off. Now I’m having trouble tightening it. I feel like something is up with the driver side. It just feels different. I’m gonna try an impact to tighten it, we’ll see if it works.....just gotta buy one first [emoji846]

Flade

Reaction score
So I just installed some Fox struts on my 95 with hand tools only. Some of you who have done this are probably familiar with the spin you get when you attempt to tighten said nut. I’m thinking I might need some extra hands because I’ve tightened as much as I can. I just put a flat head in the center and tightened with a crescent wrench and this is what I came up with. Compared to the stock strut, it looks like it needs to be tightened a little more. What do y’all think?View attachment 505View attachment 506

I have to wonder why you put Fox struts on a SN95?

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
The car is lowered and fox struts are shorter.

32V98

Reaction score
On my 98 Cobra, I used a long, flat pry bar. You can usually set the back end against a wood block or two somewhere in the engine compartment, giving you better leverage.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Finally got another adult to help me tighten up the Fox struts on this 95. Y’all think this is enough?
f25b6cc6de92e419a659cbe3a347daa5.jpg
passenger side
67ec7cd48e843d357afc769ab0d350ae.jpg
driver side

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I figured he was commenting on the fact that the 24 y.o shocks and struts would no longer be working properly, causing the car to sit lower. Assuming that all 95 are lower by now is like me assuming that we’re all running blowers because that’s just what people do.
Anyway, I asked KYB and they said “as long as they’re torqued down to 55 ft/lb, everything should be ok.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online