Time for a new clutch, any suggestions?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
so basically in a nutshell the quadrant removes any slack you might feel in the pedal and the firewall adjuster allows you to have the clutch engage wherever you like?

How does the firewall adjuster do that exactly?

wytstang

Reaction score
Correct, the FWA moves outward pushing away from the firewall "pulling" on the cable removing the slack. This causes the cable to travel less and engaging earlier.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
so can you remove slack without having the FWA moved outward? I don't want there to be like more slack than there is now, not that there's a lot now but I don't have anything to compare to.

wytstang

Reaction score
No, a fwa tightens has to twist outward, do it the other way and you have way to much slack (pedal to floor before engaging)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
does the fwa hold the cable? the problem is i am just unfamiliar with how this crap works, i assumed the cable just slid through the fwa.

wytstang

Reaction score
The cable slides through the FWA and around the half moon shaped quadrant.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the cable just slides through the fwa then how does turning it adjust the grabbing point of the clutch?

wytstang

Reaction score
Because you move the cable back as you twist the fwa out. So the travel of the clutch cable is less.
Going to make up numbers here
Lets say the factory cable set up gives you 5'' of cable under the dash. It takes pushing the clutch pedal an inch from the floor before the clutch is fulling disengaged.

Now add a FWA and quadrant to it. Before adjusting the fwa out you still have 5'' of cable under the dash. But this time you can twist the FWA outward. You twist the fwa outward moving 1'' of cable from under the dash and now it's between the firewall and the opening of the fwa. With an inch of slack now gone, the clutch peddle now only has to move halfway before the clutch is disengaged.
Making any sense?

MadStang

Reaction score
what exactly don't you understand?

the quadrant holds in one end of the cable, the fork holds the other end in. and having a firewall adjuster allows you to pull the cable from the firewall taking away slack(counter-clockwise rotation) or allowing for more slack in the pedal (clockwise rotation).

wytstang

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I guess a little, but not really lol
Dammit lol o.k well think of a fwa as an adjustable spacer. The more spacers the less slack the cable has the less pedal travel you need to disengage.
Maybe a lil closer?

ARdoller

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
if the cable just slides through the fwa then how does turning it adjust the grabbing point of the clutch?
the cable has a stopper/washer type piece with a catch on it, which locks into the FWA. twisting the FWA turns the connector piece and in-turn moves the cable in or out. The clutch cable is attached to the quadrant just like the throttle cable to the gas pedal, at the end there's a ball that slides between two teeth on the quadrant (you'd know what I'm talking about if you've ever played with the adjustment on your throttle cable). The main reason why there's a quadrant used for the clutch, is because where the clutch pedal sits and where the cable comes through the firewall are in two different locations. The clutch cable comes through much higher, and mechanically wouldn't smoothly operate at the angle it would sit if it were directly attached to the clutch pedal. Plus, on the stock quadrant setup, the quadrant also has a ratcheting mechanism that allows you to reset the catch... which is useless ones you put a heavier clutch in, since the quadrant warps and makes the ratcheting device practically useless.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run an RPS clutch with their Cyn-r-g flywheel. and i really like this setup.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I just purchased a replacement OEM Sachs clutch.. I'm not gonna be making any crazy power so I wanted a nice soft pedal for DD purposes..
I'll let everyone know how it works out.

For the record I had a RAM HDX on my previous car and it was pretty stiff... Not too bad but the pedal effort was definitely higher than stock stuff.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
I understand how the adjuster works fine but I want to know how much travel that would safely (clutch fully disengaged) take out of my clutch.
My clutch is decently stiff although I don't have many to compare it to.
I guess all I want for a lighter flywheel is something to make it rev decently quick. I have driven my friends Camaro a lot and love how it feels. the clutch moves like 3 inches (I know its hydraulic) and it revs quickly although it is more complicated at takeoffs but I don't mind I could easily adapt. Unfortunatly the guy he bought it from didn't know anything about it.
Probably going to go with the Steeda short throw but clutch and flywheel are still up in the air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online