Time to get a new intake manifold, which one?

laramik

Reaction score
S my daughter's 98 gt vert just turned over 70k miles and her all plastic intake has sprung a leak in the crossover. I know many folks upgrade to a PI intake because of this common problem but I'm not sure I really wanna mess with it like that. Question is, how come I can't seem to find an actual Ford oem intake for the non PI engine? All I'm finding are what look like dorman ones. If there is something better or if I can get a Ford version I'd prefer that. Someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking: why do you not want to do the Performance Improved swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know, it just sounds so rigged I guess...with the rtv and all.. It's a completely unmolested car with zero rust or issues. Only thing done is flowmaster super 10s and 2.5 stainless tail pipes which I put on. I know if I do tackle the swap to the PI intake I should only use the Ford racing version. If I did go this route, which seems like I should, how much can I get heads for and where should I look for them at because since I'm in there I may as well do the heads for the full upgrade? And would I have to use premium then from here on out due to the higher compression? I just did a full timing job on an 04 F150 5.4 liter (BIG JOB, interference engine) so I'm not really scared of the head swap and intake. If I could do it all for like under 750 I'd do it. Just not sure if that's realistic. Other thing is, maybe id be better off spending that 750 on something like a nitrous setup and just keep it with a non PI manifold. Not that my kid needs nitrous but it sure would be cool for me when I steal it for a drive lol ...

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I did the PI intake swap on my 98 and didn't have an issue. My son is currently in progress of doing the swap. I think the biggest pain is finding that tube that runs under the intake. He's using the one that came with the spare engine.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy the FRPP manifold then?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The Ford one has probably been discontinued for quite some time now.

Oddly enough, my work(the place that makes the factory npi intake) still has every bit of the tooling just incase an order comes through

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Oh, I guess I meant where is the best place to buy the pi version? Seems like every time I look lmr and 50resto are out of stock.

JPhilBradley

Reaction score
S my daughter's 98 gt vert just turned over 70k miles and her all plastic intake has sprung a leak in the crossover.

Not to deter you from anything, as I think you’re on the right track as far as a path to both correct this issue and add a little power to the car... but I have replaced many of the PI style intakes with the aluminum crossovers due to them leaking coolant at the crossover as well. Those intakes like to crack where the plastic port for coolant is sandwiched in between the aluminum crossover and the cylinder head. Usually turns all the spark plug wells into nice little jacuzzis for the coils/plug wires to relax in.

Like I said not to try to change your mind, just FYI.

killagt

Reaction score
Just get the new improve version of dorman intake from auto zone or advance auto part . Make sure it’s a new update version with thicker build in gasket . Hp gain from pi ain’t nothing . You want something just direct swap and worried free . It’s for your daughter .

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Just get the new improve version of dorman intake from auto zone or advance auto part . Make sure it’s a new update version with thicker build in gasket . Hp gain from pi ain’t nothing . You want something just direct swap and worried free . It’s for your daughter .
@killagt
How do I know if it's the newer version? Is there an updated part number or something?

07GtS197

Reaction score

Gains from the intake swap have been well documented so I dont know what you call “aint nothin”.

Regardless, Id still steer clear of anything aftermarket due to inferior build quality.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I don't know where you're from, but in my neighborhood 15hp peak, and more at higher rpms is quite noticeable. I sure noticed not wheezing out at 4000 when I did my pi intake swap.
If I had a dorman and needed the car on the road in a bigarse hurry, I might throw it on in an emergency. Any scenario other than that makes no sense.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Alright, that settles it. Guess I'm gonna order the PI version.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Still though, its for your daughter and swapping in a pi version means a 2 day process and technically is not as reliable due to the nature of the setup.

If my child was to be driving it all the time, stock replacement or dorman.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Still though, its for your daughter and swapping in a pi version means a 2 day process and technically is not as reliable due to the nature of the setup.

If my child was to be driving it all the time, stock replacement or dorman.
But I don't see anywhere a stock replacement? Is it a Ford dealer part only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online