Time to get a new intake manifold, which one?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Still though, its for your daughter and swapping in a pi version means a 2 day process and technically is not as reliable due to the nature of the setup.

If my child was to be driving it all the time, stock replacement or dorman.
I drove my swapped pi intake for 10 years, and 100,000 miles - and it was still running when I got rid of the car. And that pi intake still had the plastic crossover!

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Well, this is a disaster.....

Bought the non pi part and went ahead with the install last night. Well all went fine til I started it up. Massive vacuum leak coming from drivers side toward the front of the block. Seemed like it might have been by the fuel rails so I snugged them up just a bit along with the manifold bolts. When I gave one of the self tapping screws a snug it literally snapped the head right off. Then the fuel rail popped up blowing about a liter of gas all over under the hood and onto the exhaust manifold as well. Thank God it didn't start on fire. What a piece of crap this thing is. When I say snugged that is literally what I mean. Well now this manifold is shot so guess I'll be doing the Ford racing one now.... What a waste of time and money.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
man one step forward and two back. I know this dance well.....
Right....and worst part is I can get an 03 Romeo entire engine with 35k miles out of a police interceptor for 400 bucks at a local boneyard. Almost tempted to do that instead...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the sn95 shuffle...

Yea for that price if you have the space for it I would do it. You would have a nice stash of extra parts when needed or a motor to start working up to drop in later.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
the sn95 shuffle...

Yea for that price if you have the space for it I would do it. You would have a nice stash of extra parts when needed or a motor to start working up to drop in later.
I priced out all the items that I would need to do the pi intake swap and the total is coming out to $379 if I can genuinely get this engine at $400 seems like it would just be a way better idea. The place even offers free delivery to my address since it's so close. I've never pulled an auto trans off of an engine before though. How much harder is that then vs a manual which I have done 4 times in fox bodies.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Just kinda scared that it can't be as easy as it seems. But I am really having trouble finding what would make this a bad idea....

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Oh, and I apologize. This is actually from a grand Marquis. Not crown Vic.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Do the big cars have different intakes or is that a truck only thing?

outdare

Reaction score
As far as I know the motors are the same across the car line. So a 4.6l mustang would have the same motor as a crown Vic/ grand Marquis. If this $400 motor has a guarantee I would be all over it. Call up some buddies offer pizza and beer and enjoy the install.

I would want to hear it run before I bought it. They should be able to let you hear it first.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Alright so update, called them and the car was a donation. Still runs and I can check it out tomorrow. I will check compression while I'm there but they sent photos and it seems quite legit. Furthermore there are 3 more in another scrap yard by me that all have under 110k and are between 4-500 each out of 3 seperate interceptors and I've dealt with those guys in the past and know they are solid. Strange thing is if you shop for a 03 Stang motor prices quadruple for literally the exact same thing. I'd probably get a tune due to the car running lean with a new pi motor but I'm having a hard time seeing the down side at this point. I'm going to start a new thread about this as an engine swap and I appreciate everyone's help so far.

On a side note........so if I were to go into the dealer with my 98 gt with a blown manifold what would they do? I called them today and asked if they carried a Ford replacement manifold and said they don't and they can't order one. So what would they do? Replace the engine??? Seems so weird.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The cams in the panther cars are not the same as the ones in the mustang. Also Id try to stay away from a p71 due to having high idle hours.

Edit: Oh and the grand marquis I think has the 4g alternator unlike the stock 6g in the mustang and p71s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Couldn't I just swap my existing alternator tho?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Of course, I just meant that its not the same. Although you do have an npi motor anyway so you should have a 4g as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Couldn't I just swap my existing alternator tho?

Long story short with swap questions.....there is no road bump, stumbling block, hurtle to jump type situation that you the shade mechanic could not handle. Regardless is its finding a part that fits/works or cutting/splicing electric connections .....you will be able to figure it out and we each here have a tiny bit of info to help you along.

Many have made this swap successfully with expedition, vans, truck engines, as well with a plathora of cop car engines. Youll be great at this! ...so as long as you take you time and pay attetion to the details.

Just a bit of encouraging words!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online