Times are changing

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its the same old routine with government pushing what they want.

Remember the cigarette companies dominated this country? They fit the bill for most of the car racing in this country. Most likely had huge political influences. And then the Clintons came along. Used the healthcare system and pharma to destroy the tobacco industry. How many people you know die from lung cancer, Emphysema, Directly from smoking cigarettes?

Well now its EPA or NASA and regulations this, and global warming that. Government will use these as leverage to get what they want. Use them to control, suppress, dismantle or profit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its the same old routine with government pushing what they want.

Remember the cigarette companies dominated this country? They fit the bill for most of the car racing in this country. Most likely had huge political influences. And then the Clintons came along. Used the healthcare system and pharma to destroy the tobacco industry. How many people you know die from lung cancer, Emphysema, Directly from smoking cigarettes?
I must be confused, so are you saying that the tobacco industry is a good thing for us?

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is this guy Al
Because burning anything is going to dump more CO2 into the atmosphere. Even if it's a perfect net-zero emission (which it can't be) where you grow back more organism which captures the carbon, it doesn't solve the current excess problem we already have. Growing things to burn them will not solve the problem, whether it's trees, corn, or seaweed.

This is not to say that biofuels have no place in energy generation and consumption in the future. They almost certainly do.

It's just not a solution to the atmospheric CO2 problem.
Al Gore wants his son back

OP
OP
cobrajeff96

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Centralized power generation will always be more efficient than decentralized power generation. So even if all electricity were generated with dirty fuel, it would still be less dirty than every vehicle burning dirty fuel. Moreover, you can more easily control, monitor, and enforce pollution requirements with power plants than you can with vehicles (how many here have no catalytic converters on their cars?)
Even accounting for inherent impedance and line loss over x-distance? There's actually quite a bit of steam going on about micro reactors, maybe even personal micro reactors for the free-standing home. Actually has been talk about this for a decade or more.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is cute tly a niche thing. I have yet to see a car hauler, hauling EV's that wasn't a diesel truck. Even the ev dealers know they need petrol to transport new product. And once you get out side of major cities and major guests there are zero chargers . I can drive from Seattle to Spokane on many of the hi-ways and not see 1 charging station . And the power grind will never support the political BS of this country

maillemaker

Reaction score
This is cute tly a niche thing. I have yet to see a car hauler, hauling EV's that wasn't a diesel truck. Even the ev dealers know they need petrol to transport new product. And once you get out side of major cities and major guests there are zero chargers . I can drive from Seattle to Spokane on many of the hi-ways and not see 1 charging station . And the power grind will never support the political BS of this country
There is a lot of infrastructure that will require hydrocarbon fuels for the foreseeable future. Trains, ships, and aircraft, to name a few.

But, GM says that 78% of drivers drive 40 miles or less per day. The EV is going to be perfect for that kind of driving.

But as I posted above, there are massive technology changes coming in battery technology. They are about to hit production with batteries that have twice the energy density of previous generations. There are lab versions that are 6 times as energy dense.

Musk has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering but when he delivers it's pretty big. His electric semi could be a game-changer for long-haul transport. If the energy density of batteries doubles or more than this will also become a no-brainer.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Remember when most cars were carbureted, and or had manual transmissions? This is no different. You must understand that most people aren’t into cars and simply want a tool that will get them from point A to point B. An electric appliance is perfect for that. Do cars with standard transmissions no longer exist? Carburetors? They exist for the few people into them. They are definitely a different driving experience. I drive an EV for boring no drama commuting. I drive an ICE for fun. It’s become a toy. My once daily driver, a toy.

It is true that very few people drive more than 40 miles to work, if that. We have a 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV with about a 100 mile range that sometimes needs charging for one way trips. We let my father in law drive it since we don’t like SUVs, and he drives it to a commuter rail for work. It’s AMAZING! He hasn’t once been victim to cat thieves. Back when he drove a truck, they were cutting into his truck all the time!

But that range anxiety is an issue. We had a 2017 Chevy Volt, and it only had like a 50 mile range, with a gas assisted generator to charge the batteries if we ran out. I think we put like two miles on the generator, so we did rarely drive that far, but even then, we had that anxiety.

Modern EVs don’t really have that issue. Even my mustang can’t get 200. Our 2015 Tesla can, and given the age, is still less range than modern EVs. I recently drove it to South Houston from North Dallas and back, with zero issues. I did have to stop twice, but spent enough time there as I would have with my mustang on account of bathroom breaks, meals, etc.

I will remind people of the olden days when not every town has a “filling station.” If you went on a trip, you could not plot out your course from gas station to gas station like you could today. People went on road trips, and just hopped the next station was still in business.

Of all the arguments "the grid can't handle it" is the weakest.

100 years ago there was no grid. Grids can be built.

The electric power industry now has a massive hardon because every single cent spent today on gasoline is now going to go into their hands if they can sell electricity instead to replace it.

They will be tripping over themselves to build out the grid to rake in that sweet, sweet cash.

My experience in Texas during Snowmageddon 2021 was that EVs were better than ICE. We had a full “tank” before the storm, something no ICE vehicle has unless they just happen to get gas a few lots near their house. We didn’t, but could have, used that EV for heat and electricity, and not worry about dying of carbon monoxide, which a few Texans did. When the power was restored, we still had a full battery, and could charge if we wanted to. ICE owners, on the other hand, were still struggling trying to get fuel. They had driven from station to station in the snow looking for fuel, and a few were stranded because of it. No power means no POS system. Even if you paid with cash, they still need to turn the pumps on. And with power, stations were selling out and not being replenished. Stations were out of gas for a few days, with some over a week or two even though the snow had melted very quickly. As someone who lived through this, the EVs won, and you just better have gas any time a snow storm or hurricane hits Texas.

The Texas grid currently CAN handle all the EVs and all the new people moving here, the problem is that ERCOT got greedy and did not want to increase the supply. They make money supplying the demand. They could far exceed the demand with excess supply if they wanted to, but then electricity would be dirt cheap, and who wants that?

Gas isn’t going away. People still need them for certain gardening tools (think professional landscapers) and agriculture. You may end up with fewer gas stations, but I already have to drive several towns over if I want ethanol free octane. There are classic car lobbyists and all sort of groups to make sure these ICE vehicles stay on the road. Remember when they decided octane needed to be unleaded? They’re still on the road.

Less demand for gas means more gas for you. A scared industry needs to also realize that they can maintain demand by using gas to power generators that generate the electricity for EVs. As silly as that sounds, it’s still more efficient, thus environmentally friendly to power electric generators with gas, than to simply have gas powered vehicles on the road.

I close by saying that my EVs offset my ICE carbon footprint. My mustang freaking gets 10mpg. That’s terrible! But I still want to be able to drive it. The EV hate needs to stop because those owners are benefiting you.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Remember when most cars were carbureted, and or had manual transmissions? This is no different. You must understand that most people aren’t into cars and simply want a tool that will get them from point A to point B. An electric appliance is perfect for that. Do cars with standard transmissions no longer exist? Carburetors? They exist for the few people into them. They are definitely a different driving experience. I drive an EV for boring no drama commuting. I drive an ICE for fun. It’s become a toy. My once daily driver, a toy.

It is true that very few people drive more than 40 miles to work, if that. We have a 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV with about a 100 mile range that sometimes needs charging for one way trips. We let my father in law drive it since we don’t like SUVs, and he drives it to a commuter rail for work. It’s AMAZING! He hasn’t once been victim to cat thieves. Back when he drove a truck, they were cutting into his truck all the time!

But that range anxiety is an issue. We had a 2017 Chevy Volt, and it only had like a 50 mile range, with a gas assisted generator to charge the batteries if we ran out. I think we put like two miles on the generator, so we did rarely drive that far, but even then, we had that anxiety.

Modern EVs don’t really have that issue. Even my mustang can’t get 200. Our 2015 Tesla can, and given the age, is still less range than modern EVs. I recently drove it to South Houston from North Dallas and back, with zero issues. I did have to stop twice, but spent enough time there as I would have with my mustang on account of bathroom breaks, meals, etc.

I will remind people of the olden days when not every town has a “filling station.” If you went on a trip, you could not plot out your course from gas station to gas station like you could today. People went on road trips, and just hopped the next station was still in business.

My experience in Texas during Snowmageddon 2021 was that EVs were better than ICE. We had a full “tank” before the storm, something no ICE vehicle has unless they just happen to get gas a few lots near their house. We didn’t, but could have, used that EV for heat and electricity, and not worry about dying of carbon monoxide, which a few Texans did. When the power was restored, we still had a full battery, and could charge if we wanted to. ICE owners, on the other hand, were still struggling trying to get fuel. They had driven from station to station in the snow looking for fuel, and a few were stranded because of it. No power means no POS system. Even if you paid with cash, they still need to turn the pumps on. And with power, stations were selling out and not being replenished. Stations were out of gas for a few days, with some over a week or two even though the snow had melted very quickly. As someone who lived through this, the EVs won, and you just better have gas any time a snow storm or hurricane hits Texas.

The Texas grid currently CAN handle all the EVs and all the new people moving here, the problem is that ERCOT got greedy and did not want to increase the supply. They make money supplying the demand. They could far exceed the demand with excess supply if they wanted to, but then electricity would be dirt cheap, and who wants that?

Gas isn’t going away. People still need them for certain gardening tools (think professional landscapers) and agriculture. You may end up with fewer gas stations, but I already have to drive several towns over if I want ethanol free octane. There are classic car lobbyists and all sort of groups to make sure these ICE vehicles stay on the road. Remember when they decided octane needed to be unleaded? They’re still on the road.

Less demand for gas means more gas for you. A scared industry needs to also realize that they can maintain demand by using gas to power generators that generate the electricity for EVs. As silly as that sounds, it’s still more efficient, thus environmentally friendly to power electric generators with gas, than to simply have gas powered vehicles on the road.

I close by saying that my EVs offset my ICE carbon footprint. My mustang freaking gets 10mpg. That’s terrible! But I still want to be able to drive it. The EV hate needs to stop because those owners are benefiting you.
Carbon footprint.....lol. Here we go with the al gore b.s. again

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I think this will be good in the short term, but in the long term I worry that finding gasoline will be like finding 100% gasoline today - hard and expensive.
What on earth do you need that for? Own a Ferrari? 100 octane is for race cars, not really anything street driven. My 67 Triumph GT6 supposedly required 100, but that was back when fuel was leaded and not as clean. I used to run 91 ethanol free in it, but I got tired of driving that far for fuel, so I mostly just put regular premium 91 with ethanol, and it seems to run just fine on it.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Carbon footprint.....lol. Here we go with the al gore b.s. again
Look. I just wanna eat my steak in piece without people griping about cow farts. It’s illegal in my state to defame beef in any way, so people just need to leave my food alone. I don’t mind driving an EV if it’ll calm that group down.

Besides, I lived through two local gas shortages, and by NOT needing gas, by NOT driving my mustang, those gallons got to be purchased by someone who needs it for work, who needs to put food on the table. It would be morally wrong of me to daily drive my ICE during those times when I had access to an EV.

Have you actually driven an EV before? Riding in one is an entirely different experience. Try driving one. Try leaving a light blowing off peoples doors, knowing they actually were trying and you weren’t. The victory seems cheated, and unfulfilling. Like beating up a physically handicapped person. Can’t enjoy it. There is no achievement. You can’t be smug about being better because there was no challenge. That’s the emptiness. That’s why I understand the need to keep at least one ICE, for the fun of it, for the “drive.”

OP
OP
cobrajeff96

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I do find the Al Gore comment hilarious and also it has some truth to it. I mean.... the dude emits more carbon that all the members of this forum will combined! How many mansions does he have? How many private jet flights has he taken? The Obamas' forever home is on Martha's Vinyard, which'll supposedly be underwater in 50 years. Not exactly a nice inheritance for their offspring.

Think skeptically, always.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we have others that are here just for the political forum to give their diatribes so he is just as welcome as the rest of us even if ya don't agree with him. I am not saying I agree 100%, just stating facts.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
we have others that are here just for the political forum to give their diatribes so he is just as welcome as the rest of us even if ya don't agree with him. I am not saying I agree 100%, just stating facts.

I never said he wasn’t welcome , I just questioned why the fuck he joined this place to push his climate change agenda and ev bullshit on us . Times aren’t changing he’s just conforming .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online