timing bump caused weird idle

Stangbangin

Reaction score
I bumped my timing from 10* intital to 14 degrees intial and now my idles goes from 1000 to 500 and sometimes stalls...any ideas....just go back to 10

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
I know this may sound stupid, but did you disconnect the spout connector when you changed the timing?

OP
OP
S

Stangbangin

Reaction score
I was thinking it had something to do with the a9 computer pulling timing when you bump the timing but no one else seems to have this problem right?

ryclef331

Reaction score
If you bumped the timing, you NEED to reset the computer. By adding those 4 degrees, you just threw the computer for a loop! It will fuck up all timing tables that it has "learned" over the time that you've been driving it. And again....Did you pull the spout connect out before you did all this? With the spout pulled, timing is LOCKED....put it back in and the computer has control. The computer will usually bump timing at idle from what YOU set it at. You can watch this yourself. with the car running check the timing with the spout out....stick it back in and it goes up a few degrees. Try reseting the computer. If that doesn't work, we can probe further.

OP
OP
S

Stangbangin

Reaction score
well I noticed I had alot of valve flutter in the upper rpm's so I went back in and somehow it was almost at 20* (wtf right?) yes thats initial because I had already reset the computer but I heard no matter what you did it would pull the timing back. so I got it to 14* reset the battery and pulled any codes with ym voltmeter to make sure everything else checked out and now it idles like a champ with the new heads... I'll have my dyno tune by the end of the week. I was gonna be pissed if I didn't figure this out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online