Timing chain and tensioners

#BrownRoush

Reaction score
I used to have a 99GT back in the day, and I recall paying a dude to change the timing chain and tensioners, since I heard a squeak on start up. I've always wondered, do those components need to be regularly replaced? I've researched it, and I have read many cases of people having to replace, and yet not having to. My Rouhs is nearing the big 100k, and I'm planning some preventative maintenance.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
100k is just broken in. Youre ready for another 150k of service.

Really though. The modulars are built solid. If you need concern about modular engine failures focus on sparkplug thread inserts. Pi heads are notorious for spitting sparkplugs out because their are only 4threads in the holes holding them in.

As for timing chains and tentioners.....100k ...you are good! 250k.....change them

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a 99GT back in the day, and I recall paying a dude to change the timing chain and tensioners, since I heard a squeak on start up. I've always wondered, do those components need to be regularly replaced? I've researched it, and I have read many cases of people having to replace, and yet not having to. My Rouhs is nearing the big 100k, and I'm planning some preventative maintenance.

more likely a belt squeaking on start up.

heffe2001

Reaction score
Mine were starting to tick at around 178k, so I replaced them. At 100k, you're most likely fine.

heffe2001

Reaction score
Use an automotive stethoscope to figure out if it's coming from under the timing cover, or up at the valve train would be the easiest way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online