timing chain replacement?

godfearingman

Reaction score
I recently found out my water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced I've been told I'll more than likely need to replace the timing chain while I have the pump off. I saw on researching I have to remove the harmonic balancer and I don't have the tool to remove or install it. Plus heard there an nightmare to get off without and impact wrench as well its and automatic btw. Thanks in advance

JKady

Reaction score
I've never changed the timing chain. Didn't know it was a common replacement.....
It's something that's usually only done once or twice in a car's life at least for most pushrod engines.

Godfearingman, not really sure what your question is but timing chains are cheap, and you're right there if you've got the cover off. Your local auto parts store should be able to rent you a harmonic balancer puller/installer set if you don't want to buy one (They're not very expensive). The only thing that an impact is nice for is getting the crank bolt loose but there are plenty of ways around it. You can brace a breaker bar against the ground and bump the starter to break it loose. If it's a 5 speed you can put it in 5th and have someone mash the brakes while you pull on the bolt with a breaker bar.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
It's something that's usually only done once or twice in a car's life at least for most pushrod engines.

Godfearingman, not really sure what your question is but timing chains are cheap, and you're right there if you've got the cover off. Your local auto parts store should be able to rent you a harmonic balancer puller/installer set if you don't want to buy one (They're not very expensive). The only thing that an impact is nice for is getting the crank bolt loose but there are plenty of ways around it. You can brace a breaker bar against the ground and bump the starter to break it loose. If it's a 5 speed you can put it in 5th and have someone mash the brakes while you pull on the bolt with a breaker bar.

I'll probably buy a puller from harbor freight and have it just in case I've never removed and harmonic balancer or any other pulley than requires a puller to remove it. I'm weary about using the starter method there's no other way around breaking the bolts lose without an impact gun? Even with an breaker bar?

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Two things:
1) I think you'd be better off leaving this job to a professional for two reasons, the right tools and experience. If not, you might be wishing you did when the going gets tough and it will, without the proper tools and experience.
2) Not sure what your engine mods are or mileage on the vehicle but I'd leave the harmonic balancer alone and just change out the water pump.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Michael Plummer

87hurricane

Reaction score
Probably a wise move. Sounds like whoever has been giving you advice is thinking about a foreign car with a timing belt which must be removed to get to the water pump. Unless I had a good reason, I certainly wouldn't change a timing chain while changing a water pump.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Probably a wise move. Sounds like whoever has been giving you advice is thinking about a foreign car with a timing belt which must be removed to get to the water pump. Unless I had a good reason, I certainly wouldn't change a timing chain while changing a water pump.

I really depends on how many miles are on the engine.
I was replaceing my WP, I broke a bolt in the process and had to remove the timing cover to get it out. The motor had well over 200k miles and thought now would be a good time to replace the TC. IT'S RIGHT THERE AFTERALL.

JKady

Reaction score
I'll probably buy a puller from harbor freight and have it just in case I've never removed and harmonic balancer or any other pulley than requires a puller to remove it. I'm weary about using the starter method there's no other way around breaking the bolts lose without an impact gun? Even with an breaker bar?
You can with a breaker bar provided it's a manual and you have someone to mash the brakes like I said. The starter method is easy and it's something I do on a fairly regular basis. Pull the coil wire off so the engine can't start, and just bump the starter. Make sure you're concious of which way the engine turns when setting up your breaker bar and it's always best to brace it against the ground as opposed to the body whenever possible.

87hurricane

Reaction score
If you have to take the timing cover off, and the car has higher miles, a new timing set would be cheap insurance. For that matter, if it has higher miles a new timing cover gasket would be cheap insurance too, I have seen a lot of Windsors leak coolant behind the cover. It is a lot more work than just doing the water pump, but it might be worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
which side would I need to put the breaker bar drivers or passenger? I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove the timing chain cover to remove broken water pump bolt I'll buy the puller to remove the harmonic balancer from Harbor Freight what other tools will I need to remove and install the harmonic balancer, timing chain cover and the timing chain itself?

87hurricane

Reaction score
Just a puller for the balancer, everything else is just normal bolts. You should be able to use the balancer bolt to pull the balancer back on when you are done. The balancer bolt is standard threads (righty tighty), and the motor should turn clockwise, so the handle of the breaker would need to be towards the passenger side if I my thinking is correct. Hopefully someone can verify that, as I'm not 100% on it.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I need to know what side to put the breaker bar on for sure so I don't mess anything up with the breaker bar spinning. I broke the other timing chain cover bolts they won't be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online