Timing chain slap

punched281

Reaction score
I have just done 3 tensioners and a timing chain. It looks like something is causing the chain to stretch out a little and start slapping the tensioner guide.

Any ideas of what could cause this? It is not a stock motor, everything has been done on it.

My next guess is the adjustable timing gear is a little wacky. Maybe something is set on there a little bit off?

Throw me some ideas!

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
We gonna need pix of your timing chain set up.

This isn't very detailed but this is what is in it. I have factory timing set coming in on Tuesday. I am taking the adjustable off and setting it up with factory stuff and turn it by hand.

Right now if I turn it by hand, it will get tight then a couple rotations later it gets loose...

It is only the passenger side that is having problems as well.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken you need to have oil pressure on the tensioners to keep the chain tight.

They are hydraulic tensioners, so yes you would be correct. But that is not my problem.

It seems like something is not lined up or perfectly centered. I am guessing the problem is in the cam gear..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Could be! The tentioner guides are Left and right specific. Perhaps replace the cam sprockets with stock and lap the key for your adjustment?

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Yes, this is what I am thinking too. I have heard that the aftermarket world for these motors and timing parts are kinda a nightmare.

I have also read that the factory cam bolts do not do well with aftermarket sprockets.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If either side is getting the slap, there is an oil galley behind the tentioner that feeds the tentioner and has a screw plug directly below the tentioner located on the surface side of the head. If this plug is missing, no possible way pressure can build as the oil is just draining out into the front cover area. You should be able to take you finger and go fishing or you may be able to visually see it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
47652991808caa78a0a129991b170025.jpg

090506b54e8518fe67c373ee74cfe5b8.jpg

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
If either side is getting the slap, there is an oil galley behind the tentioner that feeds the tentioner and has a screw plug directly below the tentioner located on the surface side of the head. If this plug is missing, no possible way pressure can build as the oil is just draining out into the front cover area. You should be able to take you finger and go fishing or you may be able to visually see it.

Are you talking about the surface of the head that makes contact with the block? Or are you referring to the hole that gets covered up by the tensioner when bolted up?

Are you saying these need to be plugged, so it does make pressure? I am noticing that when I rotate the motor over by hand, the driver side has oil dripping out of the tensioner and down the arm while the passenger side does not have this happening.

I think you are on to something!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
On the surface of the head just below where the tentioner is are oil galleys pluged with a screw in type plug.(refer to 1st pic) The screw in plug needs to be there. And yes their can be a plug behind the tentioner and hopefully youve keept it open for oil to pressurize the tentioner. One thing about the tentionr when removing, it will crap oil when seperated from the block. It should not be dry. Oil gets trapped here and just hangs around

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Yes, the galley directly behind the tensioner is free to flow oil. But like you said, if the bottom part is not plugged up then the pressure is not building.

If this is it, I am one lucky person. I can't believe the chain did not jump...

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
On the surface of the head just below where the tentioner is are oil galleys pluged with a screw in type plug.(refer to 1st pic) The screw in plug needs to be there. And yes their can be a plug behind the tentioner and hopefully youve keept it open for oil to pressurize the tentioner. One thing about the tentionr when removing, it will crap oil when seperated from the block. It should not be dry. Oil gets trapped here and just hangs around

one of these holes?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Both sides should be pluged
And probably inside the front cover too or you would have noticed major amounts of oil on the floor

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Both sides should be pluged
And probably inside the front cover too or you would have noticed major amounts of oil on the floor

You are a genius! The plug is missing! I'm going to go pick one up and out some new chains and tensioners on there and get it back together. Hopefully the front cover doesn't leak as much too!

I'll update if this stopped the problem.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
No. No genius. Im just sorry I didnt help you sooner.

I can't believe I looked over this, definitely could have ruined the motor. Definitely a wake up call for next time. I just assumed they would be good since I had the heads assembled by a machine shop. Shame on me for not checking.

If I could, I would send you a six pack of your favorite beer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online