Timing chain

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting ready to replace the timing chain and gears, i keep reading where people talk about replacing the cover, why would I need to do that. and how do i know besides obvious cracks that i should, and apart from that what are some potential show stoppers i should be looking out for or things I should take a close look at when im in there, oh almost forgot, for anyone who hasn't already been helping me with my brat. She's an SN95, 95 gt 5.0 thanks everyone.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If the chain was that far stretched that its hitting the cover
Than that is what they would be talking about
As long as every thing on the inside of the cover looks good
No cracks or holes in it
You should be ok

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the hiatus but a bolt broke off in my engine block and it was a little more difficult than I thought to remove, i ended up having to bore it out of the hole with a carbide bit and die grinder, i had originally planned on changing the oil pan gasket, but it appears that may be a bit more than I want for now. My question is what do i do about the metal from the old gasket, if i decide to just use the partial gasket kit (for when you just change the timing cover) or does anyone have tips on dropping the oil pan without pulling the engine (i do have an engine cradle)

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you can cut out old gasket from pan
Use the partial kit
You would need to pull the engine or partially out
It's up to you for replacing the oil pan gasket

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
What's the best method for cutting the metal from the old gasket though, everything i read says "cut the old gasket flush with a razor " i don't believe my razor will cut the metal, and tin snips seem like they'll leave too much of a jagged edge, and a grinder (well i already have to do alot of flushing to make sure the bolt extraction didn't contaminate anything) but that's right at my oil pan. I saw videos of people getting it done by barely lifting the motor, but the book and actually going under there looks a tad more difficult, plus there's a brace i will have to move that doesn't respect my authority, and i don't want to break anything else on this particular venture.... so hack saw? That would suck... sorry to be such a bother this morning, thanks for any input

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Oh and i know I've seen this in my book but if anyone could save me a few minutes searching for it again, what is this guy called and if this one is from 95 shouldn't I go ahead and replace it

Attachments

• 20210921_082720.jpg
    20210921_082720.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210921_082729.jpg
    20210921_082729.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 11

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
What's the best method for cutting the metal from the old gasket though, everything i read says "cut the old gasket flush with a razor " i don't believe my razor will cut the metal, and tin snips seem like they'll leave too much of a jagged edge, and a grinder (well i already have to do alot of flushing to make sure the bolt extraction didn't contaminate anything) but that's right at my oil pan. I saw videos of people getting it done by barely lifting the motor, but the book and actually going under there looks a tad more difficult, plus there's a brace i will have to move that doesn't respect my authority, and i don't want to break anything else on this particular venture.... so hack saw? That would suck... sorry to be such a bother this morning, thanks for any input
I'd use a small cutting wheel on a small grinder

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Ok so I'm about to go get my 3rd set of gaskets, what's the trick to getting the bottle seal in, the first time the whole bottom of the timing cover was sticking out by a 1/4 inch, i loosened the oil pan and forced it in with a flat plate with tapped holes and 2 smaller ones by tightening bolts down on each side, it was still out a bit then snd i wasn't ok with it, hell i was shocked i didn't crack something, this time I was trying my best to keep the bottom where it was supposed to be, but the damn guides or whatever at the bottom kept forcing one side or the other off and eventually it clipped the gasket....

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Sorry this was missed but you don’t need to change the timing cover unless it’s damaged.
Funny, it was the new one that was damaged, and caused me to go through 3 sets of gaskets, that and the bolt i had to completely mill out of the hole and now it's back together

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010