Timing Chains and Tensioners - Which brand?

delling3

Reaction score
I am gathering parts to complete a camshaft swap on my '96 GT. I doing a PI intake and camshaft swap, staying with the NPI heads. I am not planning on any additional significant power mods. The engine has 96K on the clock, so I will change the timing chains and tensioners more as a preventative measure than anything else. Any reason not to use the Cloyes kit from Rock Auto? Other recommendations?

Thanks!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you are set on purchasing something of timing components, buy new chain guides only. The rest of it are million mile tough!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So don't change the chains? If they don't need attention, it almost wants me want to try swapping the cams without pulling the timing cover. I have heard that the timing chain guides commonly have issues though.

I picked up a set of PI cams from a low-mile '03 GT. The price was good, and I don't think spending more $$ on a set of aftermarket cams for an otherwise stock NPI mill will really benefit me much.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The chains are usually good for a long time. I'd at least check the guides. I've seen them come apart in stock engines. My preference is the steel tensioners as well. I would stick with Ford stuff personally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Thanks Yeller. I am a little confused though. The guides that I have seen are some form of composite/plastic, with a steel backing. Is this what you are referring too? Or are you referencing the tensioners?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Thanks Yeller. I am a little confused though. The guides that I have seen are some form of composite/plastic, with a steel backing. Is this what you are referring too? Or are you referencing the tensioners?

You are correct in that the guides are usually a metal frame with some kind of plastic for the chains to ride on. Although some are all plastic (or whatever composite is used).

Ford used two types of tensioners. The older style are steel and have a ratcheting mechanism to help keep tension when the oil pressure drops. There's mixed opinions on using these when there is a two step involved as it's possible to over tension and break the guides. But the general consensus is to use these when replacing the components. One of the nice features is you can collapse them with a vise and a small screwdriver then use a cotter pin to hold it back.

The later engines use a tensioner with a plastic body. These come with an o-ring seal that is known to tear if not installed correctly. And it usually tears whenever the tensioner is removed from the engine. There's no ratcheting mechanism and they rely on spring pressure to keep the tension when the oil pressure drops. I've used these in stock engines, but I wouldn't use them in anything I build for power. They also need a special "tool" to lock them back before installing them.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah them plastic chain tentioner actuators are junk! And usually only found inside the explorer 4.6l. I truly believe Ford designed the explorers to fail, cause thats what everyone of them has done. Failed! The engines are desirable too! Being an aluminum block with pi heads or the Aviator aluminum block with 4v heads.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The pushrod explorers were set up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Yeah them plastic chain tentioner actuators are junk! And usually only found inside the explorer 4.6l. I truly believe Ford designed the explorers to fail, cause thats what everyone of them has done. Failed! The engines are desirable too! Being an aluminum block with pi heads or the Aviator aluminum block with 4v heads.

I think it was a change across the board at some point. Our 06 GT had them as well. Plus it broke the stock guides. That generation wasn't that great.

The pushrod explorers were set up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Mountaineer for a long time. It was a compromise because I wanted a 5.0, but we had babies and needed the room. We put over 100K on that thing. The only reason we traded it in is because my son was getting too tall for the back seat.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

I dont think they built it to fail but to test out for future engines all types of engines. Ford is not afraid to experiment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online