timing cover removal 4.6L 2-V

delling3

Reaction score
I keep asking what seems to be pretty simple questions - just trying to avoid making a stupid mistake in my tear down for camshaft replacement, so sorry for the ignorance. It appears that removing one of the timing cover bolts requires first removing one of the idler pulleys for the serpentine belt. It appears that the pulley is simply mounted into a boss that is cast as a part of the cover. I can't find anything specific about removing it in my Chilton's manual, and would prefer to avoid a mistake. Can I simply remove the bolt and in turn the pulley?

Thanks!

Silver95bird

Reaction score
ive also seen that bolt cut out more than once. either way is fine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Yup. Just that easy. You’re also going to want a 10mm ratchet wrench for taking the power steering pump off. One of those bolts stays in the pump bracket and is not fun to take off.

Ah, the fly in the ointment, the sticky wicket. Three bolts removed from the power steering pump. I can "see" the fourth one (I am assuming the one you are referring to above), but can't figure out a way to get a wrench on it. Appears that the lower hose from the PS resevoir prevents access. There is a little bracket that provides strain relief for the hose connection, which I unbolted, but it seem that the bracket is actually spot welded or crimped to the hose itself. The manual does not say that the lower line must be disconnected, but how else do I get a wrench on the bolt?

Thanks.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You don’t have to remove that line. And I’m pretty sure that bracket just clips over the line. I could be wrong though. If I recall correctly, the bracket clips off and you can get a wrench on it. I know you go from the bottom of the pump with the wrench. I’ve pulled a bunch of these and only had to pull the line one time. The bolt was so tight I had to get a straight socket on it with a 1/2” ratchet to break it loose.

Connie

Reaction score
I keep asking what seems to be pretty simple questions - just trying to avoid making a stupid mistake in my tear down for camshaft replacement, so sorry for the ignorance. It appears that removing one of the timing cover bolts requires first removing one of the idler pulleys for the serpentine belt. It appears that the pulley is simply mounted into a boss that is cast as a part of the cover. I can't find anything specific about removing it in my Chilton's manual, and would prefer to avoid a mistake. Can I simply remove the bolt and in turn the pulley?

Thanks!
Yeah, those Manuals are helpful in many ways. But, there are times when I REALLY need info the most, or when something is puzzling, they're not helpful. Especially their Black and White Photos. Even after getting out a Magnifying Glass to get a close up, I'll think to myself....."What really is this glob of metal I'm looking at. CUROIUS. Ha. So, don't worry about simple questions, just go ahead and ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online