Timing issue IDK help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbidance

Reaction score
I have a 1995 mustang GT I'm am getting a few codes like mass air flow, air intake tempature sensor, I have the correct firing order,new spark plugs gaped at .052 and wires, fuel pressures good 40psi , I set timing to 10btdc and it bairly wants to stay running along with pooping/backfiring out of both intake and exhaust. When you do rev it up it almost has a stutter when reving, I've tried advancing timing to 14btdc and same thing. I know there's a little screw on throttle body to turn and adjust the idle rpm, as soon as I go below 1000rpm the motor shakes the whole car. I was told when I bought it that it does have a cam, I don't know what but don't think a cam would make it shake like that. Could a mass air flow cause that much trouble? And I replaced the air intake temp sensor I may need to reset codes to see if it fixed it.Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Did you by chance replace the distributor recently? It sounds like you need to reset timing by pointing the distributor’s rotor to the #1 piston at top dead center. That would eliminate a lot of doubt.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A cam wouldn’t causing backfire. That’s a timing issue. If they truly put a different cam in it they probably didn’t stab the dizzy correctly.

Like white said. Get cylinder #1 to top dead center and re stab the dizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
Anyone have a right up on exactly how to do that. I know how to pull #1 spark plug and get to compression stroke after that I'm kinda lost. Thanks

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
ok Question about when to stop at TDC pull #1 spark plug turn motor till you feel air coming out but when do i know im exactly on TDC?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
f64f08367d25dcc1a623806cb2691aee.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
stick your finger down in the plug hole(not completely but close) and you will feel when the air goes out. You might need to turn it over 2-3 times to get the feel for it but that is the best way to get an idea. When it gets to the point that it will start to suck air, that is tdc or close.

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
ok so i got it to running at 14deg btdc and I dont remember if i said this before but someone removed the throttle stop screw so i had to fiddle with it and the IAC to get it running but it seems to run ok and idle at about 750-800rpm i know i have a MAF Code and Intake Air temp sensor code, I did change the Intake Air temp sensor so im hoping that solved that im fixing to check the MAF. Ill try to upload a video of it running later maybe yall can hear/see something i dont,which im sure you will,lol. Its not pretty not does she run pretty but its got good compression and i want to get her back to looking and running like it should.

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
Got a Video. Sorry about the last bit was trying to get Camera to see timing mark but didn't work its at 14deg btdc anyways also a few pic of the Vacuum coming off the intake manifold

Attachments

• IMG_20190605_182201.jpg
    IMG_20190605_182201.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 3

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You mentioned fuel pressure was 40. Is that with vac or with out?

if your missing your throttle stop screw and your having to dick with it to idle I bet that is your problem. Check the voltage on the throttle position sensor, make sure it has a smooth movement up/down as you move the throttle while you are there and then try a base idle reset.

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
Will do anyone have a link for a base idle reset? As far as the fuel pressure my friend brought his fuel guage over and checked it and said it was perfect so that's kinda all I have to go on I don't have a fuel guage to test myself.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just to cover everything, you did have the spout out while setting the timing didn’t you????

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
Yes, I was going to do a reset idle but it got to late and with flowmaster dump under the car and an exhaust leak I don't think the neighbors would like it too much so I'm going to do it in the morning I'll report back then. Thanks guys for all the help and ideas I'm report back tommorow

OP
OP
F

forbidance

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys but my friend and I have decided to go carberated. You can close this thread if you would like again thanks for the help guys

01yellercobra

Reaction score
So instead of figuring out the issue you're going to take a step back in technology?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That’s taking a huge step backwards but ultimately it’s your car and your choice.

We’re still here to help regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.