Timing Marks are not Lining up. PLEASE HELP!

Black 96

Reaction score
I'm doing a PI swap on my 96 GT and the new heads are on and I am currently attempting to time it correctly. I place the chain with my timing mark on the timing mark of the crank sprocket and attempt to drape the chain over the cam sprocket and the timing marks do not line up at all. I take a socket wrench to move the cam in position so that the timing marks line up and when I get them to line up there is all this tension on the top half of the chain (driver side should have the majority of the tension on the bottom half) and if touched, the chain will hop off the links because of the camshaft's tension on the valves causing the timing to be off. Does anyone know why this is happening???? Please help me as I am very pressed on time! Thank you!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be sure the engine is in safe mode. This is were the pistons are mid bore. Cranckshaft key is at 9oclock
Or remove all the followers. Just remove all the followers!! This will eliminate any piston to valve contact.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"Safe mode" is a dirty word around here....

smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Yea, I get my spring compressor and take them out.... no butterknife or screw driver for me or motor I work on

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Thanks guys I figured it out. I didn't have the crank keyway pointed at 12:00. I feel slightly retarded. It doesn't help that I have only this weekend to finish it though hahaha. Appreciate the help though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online