Tint question

98stang6

Reaction score
Anyone know the legal limit/percentage (like 20% tint, 80% tint) tint you can have on your vehicle in southern california? I think your not supposed to tint your windshield at all right? but the back and side windows are alright up to a certain percent.. anyone know? :help2:

97blackgt

Reaction score
in new york i know the side windows and back window can be as dark as you want

however the driver side and passenger sides must be 35% i believe

not sure if its the same in cali though

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
in new york i know the side windows and back window can be as dark as you want

however the driver side and passenger sides must be 35% i believe

not sure if its the same in cali though
The limit for the side windows in NY is 70%, which is like dirty glass.

97blackgt

Reaction score
hmmmm...i think i got 35% cause that was the limit but i may be wrong

riored96gt

Reaction score
Calif. is no tint on front or side windows at all.
Rear window can be solid black if you have 2 side mirrors.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i think i say this once a week, but this is another reason why i love Florida...they dont give a shizzle bout my 15% tint, if it didnt come on the car when i bought it, i would have 5%. :dancing6:

Downshift

Reaction score
Californias tint laws are a joke. I have pretty dark tint, not sure how dark but at night you cant see in my car other than my cd player light. I emailed CHP to see what they were and got a response. Then I asked them why they were like that here but not in other states and they never answered me haha.

So far I have been lucky and havnt been pulled over for it and when I do get pulled over they never asked me to roll my windows up. I am pretty paranoid though if I see a cop anywhere I will roll them down. I have hookups now though.... pays to make friends with your girlfriends neighbor who is a cop and likes your Off Road X pipe Mustang HAHA.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
5.0wned said:
So far I have been lucky and havnt been pulled over for it and when I do get pulled over they never asked me to roll my windows up. I am pretty paranoid though if I see a cop anywhere I will roll them down. I have hookups now though.... pays to make friends with your girlfriends neighbor who is a cop and likes your Off Road X pipe Mustang HAHA.
i got pulled over for having my music too loud, after he gives me the ticket...he compliments my exhaust, my illegal exhaust. you know how pissed i was. :mad: but after, i was glad he didnt give me a ticket for the exhaust and my tint since my windows were half up.

and i have had people tell me that they couldn't see into my car in the middle of the afternoon driving on a sunny day on the highway. 8)

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
my tint is starting to peel on my back quarter windows.. soo i think maybe its time to get some new tint.. i dont know if i want to do anything illegal since my exhaust already is..

i heard that if Texas HP stops you, they like to get you for everything they can find wrong...

how dark is 35%?

94Vert

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
i think i say this once a week, but this is another reason why i love Florida...they dont give a shizzle bout my 15% tint, if it didnt come on the car when i bought it, i would have 5%. :dancing6:

I've never heard of anyone using 15%. It's normally 5, 20, 35, 50.

94Vert

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
my tint is starting to peel on my back quarter windows.. soo i think maybe its time to get some new tint.. i dont know if i want to do anything illegal since my exhaust already is..

i heard that if Texas HP stops you, they like to get you for everything they can find wrong...

how dark is 35%?

That's not to bad. If it's cloudy out you can barely see in. Sunny then you can see in ok.

94Vert

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
mine were tinted at 2.5% but i took it off the side windows. i had to roll the windows down at night to see.

Where you guys getting this tint? 2.5? That is crazy. was it already on or did you buy it?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
94Vert said:
Where you guys getting this tint? 2.5? That is crazy. was it already on or did you buy it?
i think i remember KB putting the tint meter on his...read like 2 or 3%, i believe it is because the stock glass is tinted some...so 5% tint plus the stock window or something :dunno:

916_5.0

Reaction score
Well i learned the hardway what the rules are for tint in cali. The back and quarter windows can be anything you want i have mine at like 10%. MY door windows used to be 50% but i got pulled over and got a ticket so once i took it off and was getting my ticket signed off i had the officer look up in their giant ass law book that they carry in their cars about what the door windows could be. And it said that atlest 85% of light must go through still which is pretty much pointless to even tint. and the windshield cant have any tint on it. So yeah cali sucks with these laws but i will stille be doing my windows again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online