Tips for rattle can paint jobs

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
When I hand buffed with polishing compound, the paint really started to shine. Even though the texture was still there it looked ok. I believe I can get away with wetsanding my life on this car then buffing and should yield the results I want. No clear coat needed. Which really surprised me. Interesting how this painting stuff works!

hondarocks61

Reaction score
When I hand buffed with polishing compound, the paint really started to shine. Even though the texture was still there it looked ok. I believe I can get away with wetsanding my life on this car then buffing and should yield the results I want. No clear coat needed. Which really surprised me. Interesting how this painting stuff works!
In theory any coating could be shine'd up with polish, if you like the look, more buffing! Haha! Just be sure to throw some pics up when its done!

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
2 full body wet sands with 1000grit, hand buffed with polishing compound, and a final wax over...this is what I came up with. The pic looks great,....in person, not so great. Im happy with it. Ive learned alot. Im not doing it again...lol.

386a83fd733aea2ab2959e64c7566532.jpg

03c420b4bda97fbd0fb8176b8c50b057.jpg

hondarocks61

Reaction score
2 full body wet sands with 1000grit, hand buffed with polishing compound, and a final wax over...this is what I came up with. The pic looks great,....in person, not so great. Im happy with it. Ive learned alot. Im not doing it again...lol.

386a83fd733aea2ab2959e64c7566532.jpg

03c420b4bda97fbd0fb8176b8c50b057.jpg
Not to shabby!! Good work man, for the first time you have done this Id say you did great!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wellllll.....the picture does it justice. Thank you though! Your help carried me a long way! Ive learned alot about preperation process. Also learned alot about spray paint. What does and doesnt works well. Warm cans shook for ten minutes and apply very light coats.

I know my arms are tired from wet sand, buffing, waxing.....

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Not bad at all man! Takes a lot of work to make a rattle can job shine, looks like you put in the hours

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

You are correct! Hours I really didnt have. I said screw it. I want to play with my toys!

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Well hey, now you know how to make paint shine! That could deffinatly come in handy in the future for interior accents or parts and bits around the car you might choose to change up!

Then again you could always make the trek up to MA and let me paint the car.... Heh heh!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Man that sounds great! Appreciate the offer! I can see now why a good paint job can run in the thousands. Really though in my situation, id be crapping the money away with kids, cats, dogs...

I did manage to block the cat door to the car side of the basement. All the cats were wonder what the heck was going on!

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Man that sounds great! Appreciate the offer! I can see now why a good paint job can run in the thousands. Really though in my situation, id be crapping the money away with kids, cats, dogs...

I did manage to block the cat door to the car side of the basement. All the cats were wonder what the heck was going on!
Good!

No need to make the cats metallic bronze! That would look very interesting though! Ha!

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Average people don't understand the time that goes into making a paint job shine. Nor the prep work needed. They think it's as simple as cover up what you're not painting, rough up the car with sandpaper, and spray. There's SOOOOOOO MUCH more that goes into it. There's a shop in Louisville that will run 100 spray special on the car. They do NO prep work, no body work, they mask and spray. I've seen some of their work, no runs but if the body wasn't prepped properly, it looks great......from a distance.....of about 20 ft.....at night....

Your job looks good for a rattle can.

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Mine look great 10foot distance at night
From what I seen it does. But some others I've seen are just ugly.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Average people don't understand the time that goes into making a paint job shine. Nor the prep work needed. They think it's as simple as cover up what you're not painting, rough up the car with sandpaper, and spray. There's SOOOOOOO MUCH more that goes into it. There's a shop in Louisville that will run 100 spray special on the car. They do NO prep work, no body work, they mask and spray. I've seen some of their work, no runs but if the body wasn't prepped properly, it looks great......from a distance.....of about 20 ft.....at night....

Your job looks good for a rattle can.

I know a few people who have done all the prep and dropped their car off at a shop like this and got great results. Those guys definitely know how to spray, they might paint 6 cars a day. They just don't have the longevity because of poor prep work

95GT86SS

Reaction score
I'm not saying all are bad. I'm just saying people who aren't into cars have no clue about what goes into a good paint job. The shop reference was saying "ooooh that's a good deal I'm going to do that".... then they take the unprepped car and expect it to be the best out there. That's what I was saying

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I'm not saying all are bad. I'm just saying people who aren't into cars have no clue about what goes into a good paint job. The shop reference was saying "ooooh that's a good deal I'm going to do that".... then they take the unprepped car and expect it to be the best out there. That's what I was saying

Preach! Paint cannot lay on perfect right out of the gun. People dont understand that. The surfacing underneath makes a huge difference. That is by far the most time consuming part.

But if there is one thing I hate more than anything.... Its masking.... Good Lord... I just lack the patience necessary sometimes haha!

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Wet sanding

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hondarocks61 pointed me in a good direction. Good thing to, cause I would have given up with all the work needed.

Even though my wife is on the verge divorcing me cause ive paid no attention to her with all this paint work requirements,.....I can say that ive actually enjoyed it. Going from rough to clean by my hands feels rewarding. Im still not done....ugh(rolleyes) but I like it!

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hondarocks61 pointed me in a good direction. Good thing to, cause I would have given up with all the work needed.

Even though my wife is on the verge divorcing me cause ive paid no attention to her with all this paint work requirements,.....I can say that ive actually enjoyed it. Going from rough to clean by my hands feels rewarding. Im still not done....ugh(rolleyes) but I like it!
Do you have a rotary buffer?

If not it would change your life! Haha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online