Tire help please

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend a good 275/40/17 rear tires that would be a good suitable tire for a 2001 cobra svt convertible. The car will be driven nice summer days / nights with maybe the odd time caught in the rain (hope not).
i would like to hear what you folks like to run on your cars.
Thanks for your time.

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have been running Toyo Proxes T1 Sports and love them, used them a few times in the rain and they did better than my last tires and the T1 sports are "summer tires", almost went nitto but was a bit harder for me to get and toyo owns nitto..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Go on tirerack.com and search that tire size. pay attention to the UTQG rating and the "AA A" after it. The higher the UTQG the longer the tire is supposed to last.
I'm running Nitto nt555 on mine and it seems to be a decent tire. it not real sticky when it's cold though. I havent had any issues with the 315 hydroplaning on the hwy. Seems to be wearing good too and I drive it a lot.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My Kumho Ecsta XS' were my favorite tires I've run so far. Great performance/street tire and decently priced.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have the Ecsta SPT's on the mustang, decent tire, I like it. And the Ecsta PA31's on the Fusion.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
See here, I posted in your other thread.

As for what I run on my cars:

Mustang (dual purpose street/track - though more oriented to track): 255/40-17 Nitto NT05 [on all 4 corners]
Subaru STI (daily driver, sees a lot rain): 275/35-18 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 [on all 4 corners]

Edit:

I copy/pasted from there so you don't have to follow the link

Here are some options:

• Nitto Motivo: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $121 per tire
  • Kumho Ecsta 4X: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $130 per tire
  • BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2: little more performance oriented. $136 per tire
  • Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance: little more performance oriented. $141 per tire
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport: more performance oriented. $144 per tire
  • Nitto NT05: dual-purpose street/track tire. $162 per tire (I have these currently on my track car, though in a different size)
  • Nitto NT 555R: dual-purpose street/drag tire. $176 per tire
  • Nitto NT05R: drag radial. $184 per tire
  • Nitto NT-01: track tire. $211 per tire

All of the above tires are 275/40-17. Listed from most basic, general purpose long lasting tire to more aggressive drag/track oriented tire. All available from DiscountTire/DiscountTireDirect. I have personal experience with all of those brands (if not the specific tire itself) with the exception of the Bridgestones - and I would totally consider putting those on my track car. As you move down the list towards the more performance-oriented tires, your tread wear goes down and you will get less life out of them, even if you don't track them. As you go up the list, you will get more tread wear (life) at the cost of "performance" - which if on a street-driven car that is never *really* pushed, "performance" probably doesn't really matter in that you won't notice a difference.

You have lots of options well under the $300 per tire price range.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're going to run or replace your front tires as well. If you stick with your front tires then you should run the same brand out back. Mixing tread patterns is not the best idea and ride stability and control will suffer.

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Well Guys
I tried to install my 315 nitto nt555 tire on 10.5 rims on my cobra irs and they don't fit. Even with the button head bolts no go. I would need spacers to make it work and I just don't feel comfortable running them. I know a lot of guys run them but after talking to a couple of the top mustang tuning shops they felt very strong against using spacers. I am disappointed that they didn't fit so I'm going to have to go with 275s on the stock rims.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well Guys
I tried to install my 315 nitto nt555 tire on 10.5 rims on my cobra irs and they don't fit. Even with the button head bolts no go. I would need spacers to make it work and I just don't feel comfortable running them. I know a lot of guys run them but after talking to a couple of the top mustang tuning shops they felt very strong against using spacers. I am disappointed that they didn't fit so I'm going to have to go with 275s on the stock rims.

What specifically doesn't fit - the rim or the tire? The reason I ask is that a lot of 275's will fit on a 10.5 rim (most have rim width range of 9" to 11"). So assuming it was your 315 tire causing the issue, it's possible you might be able to run your 275's on the 10.5" rim.

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
What specifically doesn't fit - the rim or the tire? The reason I ask is that a lot of 275's will fit on a 10.5 rim (most have rim width range of 9" to 11"). So assuming it was your 315 tire causing the issue, it's possible you might be able to run your 275's on the 10.5" rim.

Yes I could probably run the 275s on the 10.5 rims . Only problem is I need to sell the rims and tires to pay for the 275s. I went a little over budget to buy the cobra so if I want to run a bigger rim & tire it will have to be in the future. I want to keep the original stock rims . There are 275s on the rear now but are worn out so I'm replacing with new. If I could keep the other rims I would try to find a 295 or 285 tire

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I could probably run the 275s on the 10.5 rims . Only problem is I need to sell the rims and tires to pay for the 275s. I went a little over budget to buy the cobra so if I want to run a bigger rim & tire it will have to be in the future. I want to keep the original stock rims . There are 275s on the rear now but are worn out so I'm replacing with new. If I could keep the other rims I would try to find a 295 or 285 tire

Oh, well then 275 on stock rims it is :)

Mustanger

Reaction score
I have had great luck & am very satisfied with my staggered 275/315/17" Sumitomos for years now. Despite what everyone "knows" I find good traction & grip when new, great grip in the rain. ( I live in Oregon) I got 35,000 miles out of my last set. Hard to beat the price $109, $142 from Tire Rack. So for the money I just bought my second set & love them.

As they age & wear they DO harden up & lose their grip getting progressively worse. But I sure had fun sliding corners & smoking tires at will. LOL...helping to make me a better driver! I just used the rears up in a nice burnout show & had a ball. This goes against the majority but I really like them. A friend just installed a set on his older corvette, and they are perfect for his use.

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
I have had great luck & am very satisfied with my staggered 275/315/17" Sumitomos for years now. Despite what everyone "knows" I find good traction & grip when new, great grip in the rain. ( I live in Oregon) I got 35,000 miles out of my last set. Hard to beat the price $109, $142 from Tire Rack. So for the money I just bought my second set & love them.

As they age & wear they DO harden up & lose their grip getting progressively worse. But I sure had fun sliding corners & smoking tires at will. LOL...helping to make me a better driver! I just used the rears up in a nice burnout show & had a ball. This goes against the majority but I really like them. A friend just installed a set on his older corvette, and they are perfect for his use.

Does your car have Irs? that makes a big difference. I have 315s that are wider than sumitomos on my gt with no problems . My cobra with the irs different ball game altogether.

Mustanger

Reaction score
No IRS on my GT... I'd like to drive both back to back & feel for myself any differences in cornering & bumps, or ride etc... With Koni Shocks & struts (Yellow Adjustables) I don't think IRS would help that much. Just my guess though. What do you think since you have both?

Carroll Shelby tried IRS on the first Gen GT350 & could not better his road course times with Koni Shocks so never produced an early IRS.