Tire question

trebor3170

Reaction score
Ok, maybe a dumb question. I have seen, on forums and such, that the dot, usually red or green, on the sidewall of a tire, is the heavy side, and should be aligned opposite the valve stem on the wheel. Now I worked for a short while in a tire shop, and right now have 2 vehicles with 4 tires each, DUH. I was never taught that the tire had to be oriented in any particular way, (directional tires excepted), the 8 tires on my cars, plus the 6 mounted in the shed, have the dot at random locations. So, is this some BS that some internet genius just dreamed up, or is it fact, and the tire stores just don't give a crap? And if it is BS, what is the dot for?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Back when i had a tire changer /balancer, i place the dot opposite of the valve and hardly had to mount weights. A good fully machined wheel along with a high performance tire typically never needed weights. Im goona agree. Yes place dot opposite of tire valve

OP
OP
trebor3170

trebor3170

Reaction score
That's what I understood, but as I said, I was never taught that when I worked at the tire shop, and no tire I have now is oriented that way. So, I guess it is correct, and most tire shops just don't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online