TKX Swap

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted the TKX swap yet? Is it a direct swap?

I have a feeling the fresh built 3.35 close ratio T5 is gonna suck with 3.73s out back and my new stroker. First gear was super short before the engine mods.

joemomma

Reaction score
Following. My stock T5 has 156k on it now, not sure how much life it has left.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought we had someone that ordered one but it had not arrived yet. I am hoping to hear any day now that the low profile shifter will be ready for me and I can again try to get the T56 up into position.

tvsn95

Reaction score
My 94 Cobra has been though several Trans. I first installed a TKO 600, used for a couple of years then broke 3rd gear. IMHO this is a terrible trans, it shifts like a 1965 GMC dump truck.
I now have a T56 magnum, this is a sweat trans . basically they split the overdrive into 2 gears 5th and 6th. it shifts nice and supposedly will handle more . where the TKO will fit in the stock location ( maybe with some tunnel work, I did.) the T56 is too long and required the crossmember to be relocated rearward . I used the stock crossmember but built new mount tabs welded in.
the rear trans mount will need modified in both cases.
Hope this helps

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My 94 Cobra has been though several Trans. I first installed a TKO 600, used for a couple of years then broke 3rd gear. IMHO this is a terrible trans, it shifts like a 1965 GMC dump truck.
I now have a T56 magnum, this is a sweat trans . basically they split the overdrive into 2 gears 5th and 6th. it shifts nice and supposedly will handle more . where the TKO will fit in the stock location ( maybe with some tunnel work, I did.) the T56 is too long and required the crossmember to be relocated rearward . I used the stock crossmember but built new mount tabs welded in.
the rear trans mount will need modified in both cases.
Hope this helps
I am in the middle of my t56 swap now. How much work did you have to do around the shifter area to get it to fit? Stifflers makes a trans mount that uses the stock location.

tvsn95

Reaction score
the T56 mag has several mount locations ( three I think) mine went into the same place as the prev TKO , which if I remember was VERY close to the stock .
I cut out my trans tunnel ( its double walled in SN95,s) and then recovered inside with an aluminum box I built, then NP1 ( that,s an industrial sealant ) everything back in place. My TKO hit the top of the tunnel and would not let me keep the angle I wanted.
it was a tougher job than it looked but I am quite happy. The console covers it all up and it looks stock .

tvsn95

Reaction score
the T56 went right into the tunnel where the TKO was , just needed to move the trans cross member and rework the trans mount, ,,,Again LOL
you will need a custom drive shaft

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I forgot to say that its a magnum I am installing. I cut the first layer of the trans tunnel and it was closer but still not all that close to fitting. I considered getting the BFH or saw out to make space but after a little research I found a place that makes a low profile shifter that gains .6" of room. I am hoping to hear it is on its way any day now and that it will be enough room.

tvsn95

Reaction score
I used a thin wheel on a 4 1/2 side grinder ,,,very fast

joe65

Reaction score
I guess to the OP question no one has done it here yet. I'm interested in that trans also. looks a like great option for up to 600 hp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I guess to the OP question no one has done it here yet. I'm interested in that trans also. looks a like great option for up to 600 hp.

My friend here in Arizona ordered one for his 93. Still back ordered. I’m just curious if it’s going to be like the TKO and need to swap to the Fox bell housing on the sn95. From what I have read it’s a direct fit, just need to swap cross members.

joe65

Reaction score
My friend here in Arizona ordered one for his 93. Still back ordered. I’m just curious if it’s going to be like the TKO and need to swap to the Fox bell housing on the sn95. From what I have read it’s a direct fit, just need to swap cross members.

Do you follow Foxcast media on youtube at all? They did a video visiting a transmission shop that uses that new trans. you might dig for it on youtube for some more info. Found it:

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Following. My stock T5 has 156k on it now, not sure how much life it has left.
How does it shift from 1/2 and 2/3? Any grinding? Mine was grinding second before I pulled engine. I rebuilt the t5 with new bearings and synchros. It’s actually driving and shifting really smooth right now behind my stroker and the rebuild was only $600. First gear is short though, launching off the line is going to make first gear non existent and if I wanna get after it I’m just gonna have to start in second. This is why I want the close ratio TKX.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Do you follow Foxcast media on youtube at all? They did a video visiting a transmission shop that uses that new trans. you might dig for it on youtube for some more info. Found it:

awesome I’ll check it out tonight!

Procharged87

Reaction score
I went with a take out 03-04 Cobra T56 for my 95 GT. I bought the adjustable crossmember and got a 03-04 Cobra aluminum driveshaft. I did have to make a harness for it and wire up a reverse gate override but, it has worked really well in my 95. I definitely need more rear gear though because my T5 had a 3.35 first and this has, I believe, a 2.95 first and my 95 unfortunately came with 2.73 rear gears. The car has a Kenne Bell on it so it’s not a huge problem but, taking off would be easier with more rear gear but I just haven’t gotten around to it since I had some other issues (engine) that needed to be addressed first.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went with a take out 03-04 Cobra T56 for my 95 GT. I bought the adjustable crossmember and got a 03-04 Cobra aluminum driveshaft. I did have to make a harness for it and wire up a reverse gate override but, it has worked really well in my 95. I definitely need more rear gear though because my T5 had a 3.35 first and this has, I believe, a 2.95 first and my 95 unfortunately came with 2.73 rear gears. The car has a Kenne Bell on it so it’s not a huge problem but, taking off would be easier with more rear gear but I just haven’t gotten around to it since I had some other issues (engine) that needed to be addressed first.
did you have to do much work around the shifter area to fit the 56?

Procharged87

Reaction score
did you have to do much work around the shifter area to fit the 56?
No, fit perfectly where it needed to go. The only thing I did in the shifter area was change out the factory T-56 shifter for a MGW. I did replace my factory shift boot where it had a small tear in it with a Cobra leather style one but, again, that was just purely cosmetic.

joemomma

Reaction score
How does it shift from 1/2 and 2/3? Any grinding? Mine was grinding second before I pulled engine. I rebuilt the t5 with new bearings and synchros. It’s actually driving and shifting really smooth right now behind my stroker and the rebuild was only $600. First gear is short though, launching off the line is going to make first gear non existent and if I wanna get after it I’m just gonna have to start in second. This is why I want the close ratio TKX.

Most of the time it shifts "OK" - not butter smooth by any means. It doesn't grind, but it's certainly not what I would call smooth.

Micmac1

Reaction score
I've been waiting 2 1/2 months now for mine. I just talked to them today and i should be getting it in time for winter. I will for sure let you all know how it goes once it arrives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online