To cover or not to cover, that is the question!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
0C1FA839-F7F5-4A90-877B-E9C0E24B9C00.jpeg For those of us who don’t have garage space dedicated to our car, who covers theirs after a wash/detail? I get wind and dust every day where I live, so I go with double coverage: car cover then the snake gets fully zipped up inside a clamshell (Rhino)

Also have our Peruvian Inca Orchid (aka, PIO), “Ruby” to protect the car! Lol

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most covers are notorious for being rough on the paint when used outside. The wind is always moving them around and stuff and it’s just not always a great idea.

Maybe they’ve gotten better over the years but that’s my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Once washed and put away in my garage I put a car cover on them and unhook the battery

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
When in the garage mine is covered. But like right now I have to have it sitting outside I would never put the cover on it. Its amazing how even a little wind will blow dust, dirt and debris up between the cover and the car. Then it just gets ground into the paint.

Maybe go down to Harbor Freight and get https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html. Inexpensive option.

Then go have a beer!

Jake

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When in the garage mine is covered. But like right now I have to have it sitting outside I would never put the cover on it. Its amazing how even a little wind will blow dust, dirt and debris up between the cover and the car. Then it just gets ground into the paint.

Maybe go down to Harbor Freight and get https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html. Inexpensive option.

Then go have a beer!

Jake
I looked into that, Jake. Reviews said they collapse easily.
The beer sounds good though!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most covers are notorious for being rough on the paint when used outside. The wind is always moving them around and stuff and it’s just not always a great idea.

I have had success with this Rhino brand zip all the way around clamshell cover. Used it on my bike first to keep rodents from nesting in my fairing. Also keep it super clean.But it’s kept inside an enclosed shed. So, I thought maybe if I use a cover AND the clamshell it’d work pretty good outdoors. So far so good. Just kind of a PITA getting it zipped up inside the clamshell. But worth it in the end.

Connie

Reaction score

That's just what I was going to tell him. There are good ones, but they still let dirt get under the cover. The Cloth type with the Elastic fit for the Front and Rear, with Bottom Center Eyelets to stretch a Cable to connect both sides seems best to me. But, that's still not full proof though.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score

pretty much this. Both car cover and paint need to be perfectly clean, Otherwise the wind is essentially causing the cover to act as sand paper. It’s very easy for the cover to get dirty as the wind will blow the cover off. Even if you have it strapped down, it will still blow it off.

Now we get to discuss the stupid strap. It essentially goes around the underside of your car, which, clearly, is never spotless. When the wind blows the cover, that strap/cable will start to run against whatever paint it has access to, which starts from the bottom. You will get a wear pattern near the side skirt, unless the problem is completely ignored, and more of the strap is pulled onto the paint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4BA47774-92F2-440F-9D0D-66532AA17ED8.png I think you guys are missing the part of the equation about the fully enclosed, zip up cover. I actually have to drive onto it with the upper and lower halves spread open and then it zips closed around 3 sides. The fourth side, of course, is mended shut.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I don't need the bubble here
Its to dry not to much moisture cover is good enough

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I missed that part. Typically bubbles are for cars you don’t drive. I know Ive seen one guy use one specifically for hail protection. The storm that hit his driveway in March of 2017, pretty much totaled everything in the neighborhood. Our Volt wasn’t totaled because it was literally BRAND NEW. I have never seen him put his mustang in it, just sometimes there’s a blue mustang, and sometimes there’s a giant grey bubble. Not sure how much trouble it is, but we’re usually given a good enough warning. ...if you monitor the weather like a shark, which we didn’t do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995