To DD or to sell the Cobra?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinions on whether I should DD my clean 97 Cobra or sell it to avoid seeing it get beat up from daily driving duties.
Its been a garage queen taken out solely on weekends. For a car this old it is very well taken care of and the paint is so sexy that I'd hate to see it get beat up in the AZ sun. It is waxed every 3 months.
I'm about to sell my DD a 93 toyota pickup 4wd due to the fact that I had to seek another job and am now earning much less so affording both is not really an option unless I want to eat jack in the box tacos all day. Also, I signed up for Arizona State University next year so that is going to limit how much I can work and put more miles on it.

I've worked so hard to keep it clean as its the only thing I have going for me so that's why I'm stressing on it. If I sold it, I'd sell the yota as well and pickup a 1st gen Tacoma 4wd. About the same MPG, but more costly to fill up due to a bigger tank.

Also, I do enjoy driving the Cobra every time I get to drive it! Its fun!

So, sell it or DD it?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona?
DD it. It won't wreck it. If you keep up on proper maintenance and cleaning it will still look great.

Cars are meant to be driven, not garage queened.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would daily it.

As long as you take care of it, it will remain in great condition.

I use to daily mine and after a good wash and detail, it still looks amazing.
You just gotta take little steps to preserve it. Keep the interior clean, wash it every once in a while, don't park on dirt, avoid crappy roads, buy a car bra.

There's hundreds of things you can do to maintain your car while driving it.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Yeah, its only a vehicle is my thought. Not to mention its an old SN95.

Yeah, Orange have you seen what AZ does to paint? Brand new cars rolling around with faded paint and the clear flaking off lol.

But yeah there are things to maintain it which I already do. Ferocious, I do all of that already. Its washed regularly as well. Clay bar, polish, and wax that ish. Reminds me I need to step up and a get a Porter Cable or something; doing it by hand is tiresome.

My main concern is the IMRC's taking a crap while in school and working. That's gonna be a tough one to fix with all that. Almost at 75k miles so its bound to happen soon haha.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
DD... my 95 GT is faded cause I got it from palm springs, CA but f*** it lol.. I would DD it.. enjoy it, its not a flower

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are you making payments on both or either car or truck?
You do get a insurance rate break for multiple car.
Payments are the only reason to sell 1 or the other. Cost is minimal on a car you not making payments on.

A Tacoma isn't going to cost you more to drive because it has a bigger tank. MPG's is MPG's. If you drive a car that gets 40MPG that you fill up once a week or a motorcycle that gets 40MPG that you fill up once a day..

Arizona isn't going to destroy the car like something in the salt belt. If you keep it clean and waxed up you'll be fine. All of the SN's will have problems with the clearcoat coming off because of how thin it was origionally. I paint job is relatively cheap when compaired to rust repair.

BTW I also have a 89 toyota 4x4. 22re

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Orange have you seen what AZ does to paint? Brand new cars rolling around with faded paint and the clear flaking off lol.

Just a good excuse to get a new paint job..... maybe a new color.... maybe orange... :eek:

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Are you making payments on both or either car or truck?
You do get a insurance rate break for multiple car.
Payments are the only reason to sell 1 or the other. Cost is minimal on a car you not making payments on.

A Tacoma isn't going to cost you more to drive because it has a bigger tank. MPG's is MPG's. If you drive a car that gets 40MPG that you fill up once a week or a motorcycle that gets 40MPG that you fill up once a day..

Arizona isn't going to destroy the car like something in the salt belt. If you keep it clean and waxed up you'll be fine. All of the SN's will have problems with the clearcoat coming off because of how thin it was origionally. I paint job is relatively cheap when compaired to rust repair.

BTW I also have a 89 toyota 4x4. 22re
Nope, no payments. I saved up and paid them both in cash ($9800 3 years ago for the Cobra and $1800 for the yota when it was 2wd). Yeah all I am paying is insurance on them both. Unfortunately I don't get that insurance rate break because the Cobra is under my moms name to avoid high insurance, while the yota is fully under my name.

Yeah I get that, sorry I made it sound like I was dumb haha. Well, actually the Tacoma will get better mpg on the highway. Also, it will go more miles per tank but mpg is still mpgs.

Yeah that is true, thank goodness there isn't any snow down here in the valley. The sun is harsh though. Well, I'm thinking I am going to be painting it eventually because its the dreaded white paint of that era where it just starts to flake off for no reason. On the inside of the gas cover its already started to flake off :( But I don't want to spend a grand or more on paint.

Yeah I remember you mentioning that. How's it run? How are you doing mpg wise with it? Mines been running like total crap after the headgasket blew. 104k miles on it barely. I just fixed a surging idle (iac). I'm trying to figure out how to calculate mpgs on it since my speedometer is off by 10 miles and my odometer is reading less miles traveled. From my house to my work its 6 miles yet the truck only shows 4 traveled. 6/4= 1.5 so I figure that's my ratio and multiplied that by the number of miles my odometer shows I've traveled per tank. Last tank it was 164 miles odo x 1.5 ratio = 246 miles actually traveled which is not bad. Does that sound right?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So you can't afford to have both insured?
What if you just dropped one of them to fire and theft? That's what I do with mine. I pay an extra I think $200 a year to drive one and park one.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
DD... my 95 GT is faded cause I got it from palm springs, CA but f*** it lol.. I would DD it.. enjoy it, its not a flower
Yup California can do some wicked things to paint as well. haha you're right, but it just means so much to me as its the only positive thing in my life.

Just a good excuse to get a new paint job..... maybe a new color.... maybe orange... :eek:
hahah I do love that orange! But I love white cars a lot more. I like my cars like I like my women, 16 years old and white. hahahaha jk

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
So you can't afford to have both insured?
What if you just dropped one of them to fire and theft? That's what I do with mine. I pay an extra I think $200 a year to drive one and park one.
Well, I just started my new job and its only part time working about 20-25 hours a week at $10 an hour. I pay $120 for insurance on both which isn't much at all. Add cell phone $85 and that's $205 in bills a month. For the little amount of work time that's a big blow if I'm only making about $600 a month after taxes. I might be over worrying because I'm used to making $1400 a month and didn't care about money as much lol. Oh yeah, and I live at home while in school to avoid rent and food bills. Although I do eat out and pay my own food there.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If insurance isn't very much why are you trying to sell a car?
If i was in your position I'd cut out everything else before the car. Cheaper phone bill, try to cut other bills, dont eat out and so on.

Maybe you could just put the car under parking insurance while you get through hard times?

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yup California can do some wicked things to paint as well. haha you're right, but it just means so much to me as its the only positive thing in my life.

lol I hear ya man trust me.. I live in NY, I refuse to drive it this time of the year, its in the garage and all and I cannot wait to do something with the paint cause it sucks... its my pride and joy I love it, whenever anything goes wrong in life, she lifts me up haha but I would DD it.. just cause you DD it doesn't mean you have to beat the crap out of it... there can be a lot of DD stangs well maintained... I have 100k more than your car too lol

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'd daily it. Hell I'd daily my turd if it ran better and we're supposed to get 3-6 tonight lol. Just keep your car washed, don't let too many bugs splatter and birds shit on it, and keep up on maintenance and you'll be fine. No salt to worry about in AZ and better mileage in the cobra than I'm sure the yota so that alone I'd do it

Sent from my SCH-I605

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
If insurance isn't very much why are you trying to sell a car?
If i was in your position I'd cut out everything else before the car. Cheaper phone bill, try to cut other bills, dont eat out and so on.

Maybe you could just put the car under parking insurance while you get through hard times?
Idk I may not be thinking logically right now. Pretty depressed and bummed. I thought it was logical but then again its only $52 I'd be cutting out. I have a phone contract with another year to go. After that, I'm going to do the tmobile $50 deal. $85 is way too much. Yeah I think I'll cut out eating out, it will help me cut fat as well. I ate out twice this weekend and it was a solid $40!

I've thought about that, but I love to drive it! haha. Thanks for the suggestions, they make sense.

lol I hear ya man trust me.. I live in NY, I refuse to drive it this time of the year, its in the garage and all and I cannot wait to do something with the paint cause it sucks... its my pride and joy I love it, whenever anything goes wrong in life, she lifts me up haha but I would DD it.. just cause you DD it doesn't mean you have to beat the crap out of it... there can be a lot of DD stangs well maintained... I have 100k more than your car too lol
Yeah its not a good time to drive the mustang in NY lol. Yeah bad paint would kill me! My gas cover is flaking off on the inside and I'm thinking about getting a bullitt fuel door even though I hate those lol. That's exactly how I feel, it really picks me up as well. Well, just more stress and what not with daily driving it. As well as more chance of crap hitting it. Yeah true

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'd daily it. Hell I'd daily my turd if it ran better and we're supposed to get 3-6 tonight lol. Just keep your car washed, don't let too many bugs splatter and birds shit on it, and keep up on maintenance and you'll be fine. No salt to worry about in AZ and better mileage in the cobra than I'm sure the yota so that alone I'd do it

Sent from my SCH-I605
You'd daily it in that snow?! lol crazy. Yeah that's the usual stuff I already do. Eh its a toss up on mpg; if my calculations are correct they're about the same (17/18) with city and hwy lol. I have 33s and lower gears on the tiny anemic yota that accounts for a big loss. I've thought about getting some stock 15" wheels with 225s for better mpg haha. Damn Christmas and Birthdays coming up with 6 nephews is stressful with money. Also, $400 for parking at ASU. ridiculous.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yeah its not a good time to drive the mustang in NY lol. Yeah bad paint would kill me! My gas cover is flaking off on the inside and I'm thinking about getting a bullitt fuel door even though I hate those lol. That's exactly how I feel, it really picks me up as well. Well, just more stress and what not with daily driving it. As well as more chance of crap hitting it. Yeah true

yea im dying about the paint, but a whole new paint job isn't cheap either, I may just plasti-dip the whip cause itll look wayyyy better than it does now.. yeaa you always have to look out for idiots around u... they are everywhere and they could careless about our cars.. yea so the winter for me is depressing lol.. especially when it snows and then they put crazy amount of salt = no bueno for my baby lol

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I remember you mentioning that. How's it run? How are you doing mpg wise with it? Mines been running like total crap after the headgasket blew. 104k miles on it barely. I just fixed a surging idle (iac). I'm trying to figure out how to calculate mpgs on it since my speedometer is off by 10 miles and my odometer is reading less miles traveled. From my house to my work its 6 miles yet the truck only shows 4 traveled. 6/4= 1.5 so I figure that's my ratio and multiplied that by the number of miles my odometer shows I've traveled per tank. Last tank it was 164 miles odo x 1.5 ratio = 246 miles actually traveled which is not bad. Does that sound right?

I'm getting a solid 18.5 MPG's but I only have 31-10.50-15's and the stock 4:11 gears. I drive mostly hwy @ 75-80mph. My speedo is off some too.
The 22re'a are not know for good gas milage but they are known for longevity.

You might be able to get your phone carrier to lower you minutes or your wifi data usage rate without a penality. that should save you about a nickle or 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online