To DD or to sell the Cobra?

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'm getting a solid 18.5 MPG's but I only have 31-10.50-15's and the stock 4:11 gears. I drive mostly hwy @ 75-80mph. My speedo is off some too.
The 22re'a are not know for good gas milage but they are known for longevity.

You might be able to get your phone carrier to lower you minutes or your wifi data usage rate without a penality. that should save you about a nickle or 2.
Not bad. 31's are a good size. I'm gonna dial it down and get something smaller than 33s. Yeah that is true, but as long as it does a little better than my mustang I'm okay.

Now that's a good idea. I doubt Tmobile will have any sympathy but I will try that. I'm paying a lot and don't even use the services. 400 minutes, I use about 20 a month (no girl, and no one to talk to), and 5GB of data and I use about 1.2GB.

yea im dying about the paint, but a whole new paint job isn't cheap either, I may just plasti-dip the whip cause itll look wayyyy better than it does now.. yeaa you always have to look out for idiots around u... they are everywhere and they could careless about our cars.. yea so the winter for me is depressing lol.. especially when it snows and then they put crazy amount of salt = no bueno for my baby lol
Yeah paint is expensive and I fear spending so much money on that. Are you sure? I think plasti dip looks tacky. I haven't seen one plasti dipped car that I've liked. It turns grey here in AZ too. Yeah and a lot of people can't drive at all. Yeah I wouldn't take it out during winter season.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yeah paint is expensive and I fear spending so much money on that. Are you sure? I think plasti dip looks tacky. I haven't seen one plasti dipped car that I've liked. It turns grey here in AZ too. Yeah and a lot of people can't drive at all. Yeah I wouldn't take it out during winter season.

Well 95% of plasti dipped cars are usually ricers and tuners and stuff, but I've seen pics of some stangs and I like some, I wanna put a 3"-3 1/2" Cowell hood on my car and can't really paint it and not the rest of the car ya know? So I figured go flat black with that and then plasti the car red, plus the rims black, maybe not be the most gorgeous thing ever but I'll enjoy it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
Wow so your worried about paying for $205 in bills a month, making $600?! We pay that in fuel alone a month. Keep the cobra,keep the yoda. You have almost $400 to play with a month!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
What about taking the Cobra off regular insurance, putting it on Hagerty and leaving it in your garage? Hagerty's like $200-300 a year... So you can still drive it on the weekends, and you can DD the toyota. I DD my 95, and I'm in new york. Don't really have a choice since its my only car lol. We just got around 4'' of snow, supposed to get more, and I'll be driving in it lol. Phone carriers are the worst out there, charge you for extra data and other shit you never use. See if you could get someone else to get on your phone plan, it'll make the cost cheaper for you.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Wow so your worried about paying for $205 in bills a month, making $600?! We pay that in fuel alone a month. Keep the cobra,keep the yoda. You have almost $400 to play with a month!
I'm worried about that because I haven't made so little in a long time. I'm used to $1400 a month, which isn't anything at all, but life happens. I had so much room to play in. Fuel for me will be about $200-250 per month. I don't want to start spending more than I gain lol.

What about taking the Cobra off regular insurance, putting it on Hagerty and leaving it in your garage? Hagerty's like $200-300 a year... So you can still drive it on the weekends, and you can DD the toyota. I DD my 95, and I'm in new york. Don't really have a choice since its my only car lol. We just got around 4'' of snow, supposed to get more, and I'll be driving in it lol. Phone carriers are the worst out there, charge you for extra data and other shit you never use. See if you could get someone else to get on your phone plan, it'll make the cost cheaper for you.
Hmm I 've thought about that but not sure how many miles are allowed. I'd still like to drive it 4k miles a year, although I think its a lot less. The yoda isn't the greatest on gas either. I want to get a tacoma but too expensive. Damn man that's rough and yours is so clean and low mileage! Yeah that's exactly how it is; I'm paying for services that I don't even need. I've had my sisters on my phone plan before, never again. But I will try to see if my phone carrier will reduce some of my data coverage and minutes as I don't use them. 50min max used/400 a month. 2gb is that/5gb month on data.

Well 95% of plasti dipped cars are usually ricers and tuners and stuff, but I've seen pics of some stangs and I like some, I wanna put a 3"-3 1/2" Cowell hood on my car and can't really paint it and not the rest of the car ya know? So I figured go flat black with that and then plasti the car red, plus the rims black, maybe not be the most gorgeous thing ever but I'll enjoy it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Yeah that is true, but plasti dip is plasti dip on any car. I've only seen a few SNs plastied and they didn't look nice to me idk. Just my opinion though. And the cowl hood with plasti dip is understandable, cars are expensive to paint. As long as you enjoy it more than the current state of the paint that's all that counts!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks to drive it in the winter. But even now, I go outside with a hose and spray the car down.. wheels, wheel wells, under carriage, basically everything lol. With hagerty i think you can drive like 2-3k a year

RichV

Reaction score
Shouldn't cost you anything to just keep a car. Stick it in the garage until summer, you should be able to recover by then. To save $50 per month is a lot considering you're bringing in $600, but $50 isn't chit. If it was rent/food or car, no brainer. But youre selling a nice SN Cobra so you can eat out 2x more per month!!

In your situation, I would probably get a higher paying job, or see if you can work more hours. Or make some additional income somewhere. A nice Cobra will be hard to replace.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks to drive it in the winter. But even now, I go outside with a hose and spray the car down.. wheels, wheel wells, under carriage, basically everything lol. With hagerty i think you can drive like 2-3k a year
Dang man, that's rough. I'm so glad it doesn't snow here lol. Dang well that's not too far off from what I've been driving per year. It might be something to actually talk to my insurance about. Thanks!

Shouldn't cost you anything to just keep a car. Stick it in the garage until summer, you should be able to recover by then. To save $50 per month is a lot considering you're bringing in $600, but $50 isn't chit. If it was rent/food or car, no brainer. But youre selling a nice SN Cobra so you can eat out 2x more per month!!

In your situation, I would probably get a higher paying job, or see if you can work more hours. Or make some additional income somewhere. A nice Cobra will be hard to replace.
There's no snow here lol, I can drive it year round. Which I do, but only on weekends. But I could put it away if need be. Well the Cobra is about $70 on insurance, the yoda is $50. And yeah 50-70 isn't much but I'm not making as much as I used due to a job switch. Also, $10 is pretty good for a college student, usually places are minimum wage for us kids. And I'm only allowed up to 29 hours a week but normally only receive 20 hours. I offer myself up for more hours whenever extra help is needed though.

Well do I love to eat man hahaha, maybe if I cut eating out so much I can cut this extra fat lol, win win? Yeah, I've already started eating out and going out less since about 2 weeks ago and it seems I'm losing friends over that lol. And it really doesn't help that all my friends are rich kids that money doesn't mean anything to; they've got it easy.
Yeah, that's what I always think to myself, I'd regret selling my clean Cobra :( it looks exactly like I pictured it. And its the only positive thing in my life. It helped me get out of an even worse hole I was in mentally.

dan94thegtman

Reaction score
If you bought the car as an investment don't drive it, keep it in the garage. You say you love yo drive it, so drive it as a DD and save money on buying another DD. As much as you love it, I'm sure you will pamper it every day. These cars were built to drive!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
If you bought the car as an investment don't drive it, keep it in the garage. You say you love yo drive it, so drive it as a DD and save money on buying another DD. As much as you love it, I'm sure you will pamper it every day. These cars were built to drive!

You do realize this post is 4 years old right?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
If you sell it, you'll regret it.

Personally, i would look at your monthly income and expenses to start a budget to see exactly what you can and cant afford. If it were to mean packing a lunch each day for when in school, i would do that.

lutter94

Reaction score

Personally, i would look at your monthly income and expenses to start a budget to see exactly what you can and cant afford. If it were to mean packing a lunch each day for when in school, i would do that.

Post is stilll 4 years old......lol

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score

You do realize this post is 4 years old right?

Well hello ladies and gentlemen! Four years later I have returned to SN95 forums to see that my thread has been brought back to life!

Four years out from when I started this thread, I still have the Cobra :) Funny to see this thread as I am actually now heavily contemplating selling it to buy a 4x4 Ranger. However, things have changed. I graduated college and have a decent job making decent money. I own the Cobra, a 2015 Focus ST, and my old 2005 nissan sentra.

Post is stilll 4 years old......lol

Hello! This is definitely quite an old thread.

Well... if he sold it, i bet he regrets it. Lol

Haven't sold it yet! It is currently on my drive way being blasted by Arizona rays of death from the sun. Its funny that this thread came up as soon as I logged in to the forums for the first time in a long time. I am actually considering selling it now. I have a Focus ST now, as well. The cobra has jumped in mileage up to 93k! She's getting old. I love my car and it is one clean SN95 Cobra that still gets compliments everywhere I take it, however I will own an 03/04 Cobra some day soon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online