To PI or To not?

96mod289

Reaction score
I was reading about the PI swap, and I have a question. i found a guy that will sell me a full PI swap for 700, but would i be better off to go the cam route?

tomustang

Reaction score
96mod289 said:
I was reading about the PI swap, and I have a question. i found a guy that will sell me a full PI swap for 700, but would i be better off to go the cam route?

Well since you want to go S/C or nitrous and not decided, depending on funds you can get just cams but you'll need a PI intake, If you do the PI swap you'll still need the intake but you wont have to mess around with the valvetrain but your compression will be higher which isn't better for S/C's

sanitarium16

Reaction score
im in the process of getting mine PI Swapped right now. Good thing i did because my mechanic called me and told me my cams are shot!!!!! Dont know what the hell caused that maybe it could be my 100,000 miles on an american car lol. Ill let you know if it was worth it.

97vertstang

Reaction score
cams shot????? the only thing that could have done that, is not enough oil pressure , or not enough oil. never heard that one from a modular before ???

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
cams shot????? the only thing that could have done that, is not enough oil pressure , or not enough oil. never heard that one from a modular before ???
Me either!
Sounds like time to step up to a high flow oil pump.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
700 is a great price for the full PI.
it's better than NPI cams IMO. even better is the PI with aftermarket cams.

a big factor is doing the swap, you doing it yourself or paying someone to do it.
tools, mechanical knack ect.
there's good info in this forum about the swap.
ask some more specifice questions - how much power do you want to run, what's yoru
budget, what kind of cam are you looking at, etc.

Don't be afraid of higher compression from the PI, the modulars do well with high compression. if you have issues, you probably have an off-the shelf shitty tune, or are running the stock pcm.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
97vertstang said:
Me either!
Sounds like time to step up to a high flow oil pump.

me either

sanitarium16

Reaction score
I saw the cam and the head today. The guide is worn and the cam is worn. My oil pressure is fine. I read that certain oils dont contain enough zinc and it can cause cam wear. I use QS advanced dont know though. Maybe it could be from age and the racing? My oil pump checked out ok. Its only on the left side head not the right!

sanitarium16

Reaction score
Just got my car back.....all i can saw is WOW. INSTANT THROTTLE RESPONSE and amazing passing power. Well WORTH IT. The car is a whole new animal!

97vertstang

Reaction score
sanitarium16 said:
Just got my car back.....all i can saw is WOW. INSTANT THROTTLE RESPONSE and amazing passing power. Well WORTH IT. The car is a whole new animal!
what u do??? pi intake and cam swap or whole intake , head , and cam swap??? either way congrats on the new found power :thumb:

OP
OP

96mod289

Reaction score
well like i said before i found a guy selling a pi swapp includes everything, but it is used for 700 is taht a reasonable price? also i will be doing the work myself, so how long dose it take, and are there any special ford tools that i have to have.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
96mod289 said:
well like i said before i found a guy selling a pi swapp includes everything, but it is used for 700 is taht a reasonable price? also i will be doing the work myself, so how long dose it take, and are there any special ford tools that i have to have.
Is that $700 for the heads/Cams/Intake only? or all the gaskets/nuts/bolts/heater tube etc?
You can find low mile PI heads/cams for $350 and PI Intakes for $100-125 shipped...shit karkraft has brand new PI intakes for $149 So for $500 you can get the hardparts and it will run you about $200 for the head changing kit and needed parts.

OP
OP

96mod289

Reaction score
he says assembeled winsor heads, intake(no crossover), all nessary gaskets and install parts. The heads are off of his 97 gt they have 35,xxx miles on them.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
don't even waste your money on a PI Intake thats doesn't have the updated crossover.
and you will need new valve covers with windsor heads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online