Top 5 Autocross Driving Mistakes Video

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Helping Novices get faster is my favorite part of autocross. Instructing at events and Novice Schools over the years has shown me the importance of establishing good performance driving habits early on. Finding speed on course is all about making the fewest mistakes. When you’re first starting out, it’s easy for driving mistakes to become your driving technique. And bad technique will slow you down.

This video covers the TOP 5 AUTOCROSS DRIVING MISTAKES I see Novices make, and offers TIPS TO HELP YOU AVOID THEM.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Just watched this and some of your other videos.

Good work man. I appreciate you taking the time with these. It's been years since I've gotten to do any track type events but am hoping to again this year (pandemic permitting)

Where abouts do you run your car?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

beyondEOD

Reaction score
Great video.

I have not autocross'd yet but I have been to two LEO driving schools. You are definitely right about novices being either to cautious or too agressive.

At the first school I was to agressive to start and found myself pushing the car in turns too much. Second school I was too agressive on braking and ended up cooking a set of pads on a police charger during one run.

It is hard to slow down when you are default agressive that is for sure.

Akurma

Reaction score
Great video! nice and simple explanations as well. Can't wait to get back out and auto cross, although not with my Mustang this year

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Thank you all for checking out my video! I really appreciate the compliments. I know many Novice Schools have been cancelled this season, so I thought the video might help people looking for pointers as events start up again.

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
Great video, as always. Watched it Saturday while lazing around an inventory I was supposed to be coordinating lol. I felt like you were speaking directly to me here... :rolleyes:

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
I've watched all your Youtube video's & liked them all, I'm still amazed you don't have more subscribers than what you have. I plan to start commenting on what you have to help with those Youtube algorithms to get you some more clicks on your vid's.

I've really enjoyed your ST series & what a V6 Mustang can do against much more expensive cars.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I've watched all your Youtube video's & liked them all, I'm still amazed you don't have more subscribers than what you have. I plan to start commenting on what you have to help with those Youtube algorithms to get you some more clicks on your vid's.

I've really enjoyed your ST series & what a V6 Mustang can do against much more expensive cars.

Thanks for checking out my videos! It's really nice to hear that people enjoy them. I appreciate you taking the time to leave comments in order to help increase views.

My plan is to keep doing everything I can to prove that our Mustangs can be capable autocross cars. I'm looking forward to getting the ST back on course whenever events start up again.

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
You actually helped me decide to get back into Mustang's. I was tempted to save up for a 350z or MR2 Spyder to use as a track car. But since I used to have a '98 GT that I foolishly sold off, the body style is nostalgic for me.

One thing, I've been curious why you haven't used a trunk battery kit in your car's. Seems like you could have done it in the "The Power of Balance" video. I would have guessed taking weight out of zone 1 and putting it in zone 3 would have helped distribute the weight better. It was one of the mod's I had done in my '98 before selling it off.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
You actually helped me decide to get back into Mustang's. I was tempted to save up for a 350z or MR2 Spyder to use as a track car. But since I used to have a '98 GT that I foolishly sold off, the body style is nostalgic for me.

One thing, I've been curious why you haven't used a trunk battery kit in your car's. Seems like you could have done it in the "The Power of Balance" video. I would have guessed taking weight out of zone 1 and putting it in zone 3 would have helped distribute the weight better. It was one of the mod's I had done in my '98 before selling it off.

I'm glad you're getting back into Mustangs. I hope you plan on autocrossing yours!

I get asked that question about the battery often. Most battery relocation kits move the battery to the rear of the trunk (to one side of the car). That moves the weight to the far edge of Zone 3. While moving the battery to the trunk does help get weight off the front of the car, the ideal place for the battery in an autocross car would be right behind the passenger seat (low and to the rear of Zone 2, on the opposite side of the driver; better for mass centralization than in the trunk). I'm not a big fan of having the battery in the passenger compartment of the car, so I chose not to move the battery.

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
That's good reasoning, last time I had it done was to the right rear of the car. I had been thinking of putting mine where the spare tire since it'll be taken out of the car to help keep the weight centered and lower.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
The spare tire well is an option. But, before you move the battery, test how the car feels with the spare/jack in the trunk, and without the spare/jack in the trunk. That 30-40 lbs. in Zone 3 is really noticeable when you're throwing the car around. The spare tire well is still behind the rear axle in Zone 3, so adding 30-40 lbs. of battery in there would impact how the car feels during rapid changes of direction (the same as leaving the spare tire and jack in place). If the battery is going to be in the trunk, it might be more helpful up against the right side of the rear seat back (or rear seat delete).

amf201091

Reaction score
Just attended my 2nd autocross of the season here in Nebraska. I'm 12 seconds behind other novices -_- BUT... I didn't DNF or hit a cone so that's nice. Gonna remember to watch this video for encouragement before next event.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Just attended my 2nd autocross of the season here in Nebraska. I'm 12 seconds behind other novices -_- BUT... I didn't DNF or hit a cone so that's nice. Gonna remember to watch this video for encouragement before next event.

You will chop chunks of time off your runs as you get more seat time. Being able to get through the course without a DNF is great! Knowing the course is key; it allows you to attack the elements with confidence. You'll be amazed by how quickly your times get closer to the other Novices as the season goes on.

There's also a playlist of "Autocross Tips" on my channel with videos that can help you get faster. If you have any questions, please ask.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Adjusting air pressure is a FREE mod that anyone can make to improve the handling of their autocross car. But, adjusting air pressure can be confusing when you’re first starting out.

I put this video together to help Mustang autocrossers dial in their ideal air pressure, because 1 PSI can mean the difference between winning and losing.

This video breaks down the basics of using chalk, pyrometers, and “reading” the tires to find the air pressure setting that allows you to get every last bit of grip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.