Top Dead Center

Robert Castanon

Reaction score
So I want to replace my valve stem seals to my 03 4.6. My question is if I set my timing to top dead center before I remove the camshafts. Would I have to find top dead center again, or will the camshaft fall into place with no issues.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So I want to replace my valve stem seals to my 03 4.6. My question is if I set my timing to top dead center before I remove the camshafts. Would I have to find top dead center again, or will the camshaft fall into place with no issues.
These engines don’t time with top dead center. There is a timing mark on the crank gear that you align with the mark on the chains.

You’re going to want the crank keyway to be at 9 o’clock so all the pistons are below deck. That way you don’t bend any valves when you take the chains off. I do believe there is a good video on YouTube about setting that timing.

OP
OP
R

Robert Castanon

Reaction score
Ok, so once I set timing and remove chains and camshaft. When it's time to putting the camshaft back, will the camshaft sit back the way I removed it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Did you watch the vid on YouTube? Should answer all your questions

apsmith49921

Reaction score
my advice is 9 o clock, pull the followers, then the cams replace the seals install the cams, time it then install the followers last.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online