top end or bottom end build up

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
If your going to do a motor, the best place to start is from the gound up. Do the bottom end then work up to the heads cams intake...........

ALITL8

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
If your going to do a motor, the best place to start is from the gound up. Do the bottom end then work up to the heads cams intake...........

yep, that goes without saying... depends on what kind of money you want to spend. if youre independently wealthy than go from the bottom up. dont forget to build your suspension, rear end and tranny to accommodate for the increase in HP and TQ :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are your goals? If your just looking to stay N/A then there is no need to forge your internals. If you plan on getting a blower/turbo/nitrous then thats a different story.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like DTP said, it depens on your goals.

If you want around 400 HP, heads.

If' you wanna go more, forge it up.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

yea that too...

it also depends on how many miles you have on your motor. high mileage you'll probably want to go ahead and build it from the bottom up.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ya, it's NEMO

NeEd More infO lol.
Just a starting point really.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
Dalamar said:

yea that too...

it also depends on how many miles you have on your motor. high mileage you'll probably want to go ahead and build it from the bottom up.

:boink:

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
ok well my motor has 57k on it now and for right now i just wana keep n/a but am lookin for good power origanally i had my mind set on a complete pi swap but then was made aware of a strokerkit wat type of gains come with strokin the motor also by gettin a stroker kit would i still be able to use pi heads and has anyone ever heard of svo heads and are they better than pi

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NA you won' gain much on the stroker. maybe 10-20 HP, and a better torque curve.
That's what I just got from my stroker.

You best bet for power is the PI headswap, with cams and porting if you can afford it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
seth_96_gt said:
ok well my motor has 57k on it now and for right now i just wana keep n/a but am lookin for good power origanally i had my mind set on a complete pi swap but then was made aware of a strokerkit wat type of gains come with strokin the motor also by gettin a stroker kit would i still be able to use pi heads and has anyone ever heard of svo heads and are they better than pi

Just get a P&P'd PI swap with some upgraded cams...SVO heads are the best 2V heads but cost about the same as some stage 2 p&p'd PI heads which will flow better then the stock SVO's...now if you get SVO's p&p'd you can get some nice flow #'s but you are talking $$$$

ALITL8

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
NA you won' gain much on the stroker. maybe 10-20 HP, and a better torque curve.

You best bet for power is the PI headswap, with cams and porting if you can afford it.

dont do the stroker ??? so when i forge the bottom end, i should not pay the extra for the stroker kit? please clarify, Jeff!! im workin on my parts list here!!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
Dalamar said:

dont do the stroker ??? so when i forge the bottom end, i should not pay the extra for the stroker kit? please clarify, Jeff!! im workin on my parts list here!!!

He's asking which will gain more power.
the heaswap will.

Forging the motor would be next step.
The stroker benefits from:
better torque corve, and more power under boost.
We've talked about that before?! :)

ALITL8

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
ALITL8 said:
Dalamar said:

He's asking which will gain more power.
the heaswap will.

Forging the motor would be next step.
The stroker benefits from:
better torque corve, and more power under boost.
We've talked about that before?! :)

im old and forget stuff LOL i dont plan on going power adder at this point. i do plan to spray it on occasion... do i need to stroke it?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
im old and forget stuff LOL i dont plan on going power adder at this point. i do plan to spray it on occasion... do i need to stroke it?

Well "need" to stroke it is up to you man!
The main reason I stroked mine is to get more torque low to mid.
Remember "HP sells cars, Torque wins races"

so if your not gonna blow it, then keep your compression up, and add spray when you can.
If your gonna rebuild the engine, I'd add some cubes. but that's just me >:D

If your gonna shoot more than a 100 shot you'll definately want to forge the motor.
or you will be shortly after. lol.

It's also relative to your power goals and budget, like Seth here is asking about.
For him, it sounds like the PI swap would better serve his situation.

That reminds me, there's a fox at my builder's shop.
the guy droped in a Modular, Livernois forged, but not stroked.
same intake as mine, basically the same motor as mine, except for my cams and stroke,
and He's adding a 300 shot of NOS to that sucker!

Boom Baby >:D

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
thanks guys yea i think im just gana stick with my original plan of a p&p pi swap with cams but i think the next move after that will be strokin it out and gettin the motor ready for a power adder (some day)

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
stroke that bitch to a 331 and spray like theres no tomorrow... orrr nvm that was a foxbody lol....

but yea ide say find your prices on a P&P PI swap, and check the SVO prices.. see what u can get.. either way do one of those swaps with some cams.. itl help ALOT

Daywalker

Reaction score
Almost anybody will tell ya to build the block first, but that's not always finacially feesible unless you can do the work yourself. I got a quote of $5000 for a built shortblock installed.

$3000 for the block itself
$2000 to drop the motor and do the swap

Didn't seem worth it to me. But if you've got the coin, build the block first of course...

ALITL8

Reaction score
yep, thats about the price of things all said and done unless you can do most of it on your own. throw a blower or turbo in the mix and youre looking at $10K for one fast as hell 4.6 2V :thumb:

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
well i got some prices i checked out houston performance and they have p@p pi heads for 800 a piece i called and for the whole swap heads intake gaskets head bolts and cams said right around 2200 is that a good deal cause at vt they are askin like 2000 for heads alone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.