Torque converter help

BenPowers

Reaction score
i've got a 1995 mustang gt with an automatic.

my transmission is completely stock, and i'm at 228,XXX miles. recently in 4th gear or overdrive, the rpms would move around about 200-400 rpm when I hit the gas. I think this is the torque converter not locking up like it's supposed to? I emptied the pan and drained the torque converter, and filled it with 5 quarts, started the car, flicked through the gears and added two more quarts to fill up the torque converter and repeated this until i was at 11 quarts, and it didn't fix the problem. but as of earlier today whenever the car tries to enter 4th it acts like neutral and just revs the engine. the car works fine if i hit that button to disable overdrive and just cruise in 3rd, but i need good mileage etc. i pulled codes and 628-"excessive torque converter slippage detected" was in the memory. and i did a KOER test today and i got 536-"brake not actuated during onboard diagnostic" even though i did depress the brake pedal when the little autoxray thing told me to.

I've got a 1995 mustang service manual and it says for code 536:
description: "BOO switch circuit failed."
condition: "Brake ON/OFF circuit failure."
symptom: "Failed ON or not connected - torque converter clutch will not engage at less than 1/3 throttle"

So next I tried to drive the car but give it more than 1/3 throttle while in 4th gear and i wasn't able to because i didn't want to over rev the engine or anything.

I've tried clearing codes so I can tell if code 628 is still happening but i can't get the autoxray to clear it.

now i ask you guys, what do I do next?

toyman

Reaction score
The quick and dirty way to clear codes is to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes.

With respect to the AODE I suspect that either the OD band is shot (especially with your mileage) and/or there is an internal problem with control valves and the TC solenoid. I see a rebuild in your future.

OP
OP
B

BenPowers

Reaction score
I had asked my friend about clearing the codes before I saw your post and he told me to disconnect it and hold the brakes for 3 seconds and reconnect it. I tried that and went for a drive and it didn't slip in 4th gear at all. At 50mph it stayed right at 1500rpm like it used to, but then after about 2-3 miles the same thing with the whole 4th gear just revving symptom came back. Does this mean anything?

red95r

Reaction score
If after the reset it worked as it should, I would definitely say electrical. Have a tranny shop look at it usually they give you a free diagnosis unless they hook it up to something.

OP
OP
B

BenPowers

Reaction score
red95r said:
If after the reset it worked as it should, I would definitely say electrical. Have a tranny shop look at it usually they give you a free diagnosis unless they hook it up to something.

when I said it worked, i more meant like it made it into 4th and stayed at the correct rpm. in between shifts it was still completely wrong, revving up too much between shifts, shifting slowly, and just generally performing worse than it did 2 weeks ago. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Addermk2

Reaction score
you need to rebuild the transmission.

/thread

Raffaelli

Reaction score
If you have to ask what kit you need for your trans, you really should consider taking it to a pro.

Not being offensive or anything, but a AODE is not a walk in the park to rebuild. It does take specialty tools and know-how. Just best left for a pro.

But if you were planning on rebuilding it/ having a buddy do it. You need to buy the low reverse, and the overdrive band too. Really consider a new torque converter too.

That kit is expensive BTW.

Addermk2

Reaction score
you need to bring it to a professional, and let them do it

OP
OP
B

BenPowers

Reaction score
alright you're probably right guys thanks for your help! I just talked to my dad and told him what you guys said and he agreed. so it'll be a while but when we get the money i'll drop it off somewhere to get it fixed! are there any shops that do this kind of stuff the best?

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Addermk2 said:
you need to bring it to a professional, and let them do it

Agreed.

Rebuilding an automatic is not for everyone.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Rebuilding autos is fun, I do it on my days off lol.

Seriously, someone already mentioned your OD band, which combined with all the poo in your servo is likely the issue.

Now, when you take it to a shop, make sure you take it to a place that will rebuild the WHOLE thing, and not simply replace whatever is wore out right now, or worse yet, slap a junkyard one in there and charge you 1200 bucks for it.

Ask around and see who your local gearheads use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online