Tow hook

Tommy92

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to install a tow hook for the front of my Mach 1 without having to cut a hole from my bumper?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
can always mount an eyelet on your k-member and use a strap..

S-197%20tie%20down.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
No.. You would have to find a suitable location, drill a hole and secure it with a nut/lock washer/flat washer.. You would have to consider the strap riding up when tension was put on it and interfering with the bumper.

-or-

You could have a bar fabricated that left the k-member, stuck out thru the valence with the tow ring/hook past the leading edge of your bumper.

OP
OP
T

Tommy92

Reaction score

I want to avoid putting a hole on my bumper if possible.

No.. You would have to find a suitable location, drill a hole and secure it with a nut/lock washer/flat washer.. You would have to consider the strap riding up when tension was put on it and interfering with the bumper.

-or-

You could have a bar fabricated that left the k-member, stuck out thru the valence with the tow ring/hook past the leading edge of your bumper.

So if I were to use my k-member, the strap would be able to pass through the fog light housing?

OP
OP
T

Tommy92

Reaction score
Is it possible to weld a bracket under my bumper support and attach a tow hook that way? Or would it create too much torque and bend the bumper support.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My friend has eye lits like that welded on the bottom of his k member on his 4 eye

RichV

Reaction score
Are you looking for tow hooks like for a race car? Something functional I assume, for when you get towed? Do you get towed a lot? Not being a smartass, just don't see anything practical about it unless you load/unload on a trailer a lot or run a racetrack where when your shit breaks they can find a hook and get you back in the pits without popping the hood and what not.

All the hooks I've seen have some cutting involved.
race_car_tow_hooks004014.jpg
www.racecartowhooks.com

Most mount to the bumper supports.

This style:
dsc05228copiauy3.jpg

You may be able to find something that would be long enough, but remember the pressure that is on that hook when being towed. Specialy turning, would it hold?

Putting anything out the foglight hole like a strap will put pressure on the bumpercover when turning (being towed) but I know it works. I have a axlestrap bolted to the framerail and out the passenger fog hole and it works just just fine, not a looker tho.

OP
OP
T

Tommy92

Reaction score
Are you looking for tow hooks like for a race car? Something functional I assume, for when you get towed? Do you get towed a lot? Not being a smartass, just don't see anything practical about it unless you load/unload on a trailer a lot or run a racetrack where when your shit breaks they can find a hook and get you back in the pits without popping the hood and what not.

All the hooks I've seen have some cutting involved.
race_car_tow_hooks004014.jpg
www.racecartowhooks.com

Most mount to the bumper supports.

This style:
dsc05228copiauy3.jpg

You may be able to find something that would be long enough, but remember the pressure that is on that hook when being towed. Specialy turning, would it hold?

Putting anything out the foglight hole like a strap will put pressure on the bumpercover when turning (being towed) but I know it works. I have a axlestrap bolted to the framerail and out the passenger fog hole and it works just just fine, not a looker tho.

Yeah, its for track use. I'm looking into getting into tracking my car at a local speedway but they require a front tow hook and optional rear tow hook. Just looking at my options right now. I really don't want a tow hook sticking out of my bumper, they look ugly in a daily driven car in my opinion.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Just do what you did with your old mustang and the backup camera in your trunk :p

LilRoush

Reaction score
A strap will be your best bet. Just make sure it complies to the rules you need to have it for.
I've seen several guys who run the strap out under the headlight, and just tape it down so it doesn't flap all over on the track.

OP
OP
T

Tommy92

Reaction score
A strap will be your best bet. Just make sure it complies to the rules you need to have it for.
I've seen several guys who run the strap out under the headlight, and just tape it down so it doesn't flap all over on the track.

You mean I could have the strap tied down in the headlight housing?

RichV

Reaction score
Check with the rules, but I've seen that as well. Just test side loads on the strap to make sure you don't damage anything if you actualy have to use the strap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online