Tracking an sn95 ?

Reaction score
I have a local road course available to me and I am wondering what it costs to track an sn95 ? They say track days are about $120 a day that does not include track day insurance. I know I will probably need upgraded brakes and camber plates. My Mustang is a new edge GT with 4.10s bolt ons and a 5 speed. I am having a hard time deciding to drag race it and put a supercharger or get it ready for track days. So how do you guys like tracking your sn95? What's it run you money wise round about? Any must haves for track days?

Maximum95

Reaction score
I have a local road course available to me and I am wondering what it costs to track an sn95 ? They say track days are about $120 a day that does not include track day insurance. I know I will probably need upgraded brakes and camber plates. My Mustang is a new edge GT with 4.10s bolt ons and a 5 speed. I am having a hard time deciding to drag race it and put a supercharger or get it ready for track days. So how do you guys like tracking your sn95? What's it run you money wise round about? Any must haves for track days?

Realistically, you can track the car at any level of modification. In fact, I would encourage you to try it out as is. There's no better way to learn what you like/dislike about the car than spending time behind the wheel. If you have unmodified brakes and cooling system, just keep that in mind as you hit the track and back it off when the brake pedal tells you to.

But I will tell you, must haves on our chassis are subframe connectors and upgraded sway bars. After all the mods I've done to my car, those would be the first things I'd do if I started over.

As far as my experience, running the car on track is a blast. The drawback for me, our track is a cheese grater. It eats tires because the asphalt is pretty rough. That cost adds up pretty quick.

There are plenty of other road racers and auto-xers here so you came to the right place to ask!

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
That's great info I have always avoided track days because of the perceived costs. That's great info about the modifications to do first, I will most definitely look into them. I noticed on alot of forums the new edge is kind of scoffed at by track guys. I don't want to drive a Miata or E30 bmw lol.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Max95 is right, subframe connectors, suspension, brakes, panhard bar...the list can go from there. If you can't control it, it's not fun. I've done a lot of mods to my chassis just to get it where I like it. The 2v is o.k. but if you want more HP, a supercharger or in my case, Coyote is in order. Those last things can come later. Learn to drive the car first and know what it/you like. You can have a lot of fun without the HP and learn to control the car.

For costs, not sure if you mean a weekend outing or just preparing it. Two different animals, with the prep costing a lot more.

Maximum95

Reaction score
That's great info I have always avoided track days because of the perceived costs. That's great info about the modifications to do first, I will most definitely look into them. I noticed on alot of forums the new edge is kind of scoffed at by track guys. I don't want to drive a Miata or E30 bmw lol.

As any aspect of doing car stuff, there is cost involved. Track time here is anywhere from $80 for open track day to $120 for time attack day. But let's be honest, we're not here talking about modifying our cars to save money lmao!!! There are FAR worse things to spend money on!

I get you on wanting to use your car. There are plenty of people out there who think they have the best track car or whatever, but there's always someone faster. Don't let anyone discourage you from tracking the New Edge. Any car can be fun on track.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Max95 is right, subframe connectors, suspension, brakes, panhard bar...the list can go from there. If you can't control it, it's not fun. I've done a lot of mods to my chassis just to get it where I like it. The 2v is o.k. but if you want more HP, a supercharger or in my case, Coyote is in order. Those last things can come later. Learn to drive the car first and know what it/you like. You can have a lot of fun without the HP and learn to control the car.

For costs, not sure if you mean a weekend outing or just preparing it. Two different animals, with the prep costing a lot more.

That all depends. I'm curious about consumables on this car. I have thought of doing an auto x as well as I hear it's much cheaper than track days. I have a nice set of directional Toyos on it now but they are not cheap. If you auto x I'd be curious at tire replacement rates, I'm sure track days burn through consumables much faster.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
The easiest way to get into performance driving is to try autocross. It's safe, inexpensive and you will learn car-control fundamentals that will translate to track events. Many clubs have instructors on hand to help you when you first get started. I generally get about 20-24 events out of a set of tires. If you ever have any questions about autocross, please ask.

You might also want to check out my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@warhorseracing/videos

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
The easiest way to get into performance driving is to try autocross. It's safe, inexpensive and you will learn car-control fundamentals that will translate to track events. Many clubs have instructors on hand to help you when you first get started. I generally get about 20-24 events out of a set of tires. If you ever have any questions about autocross, please ask.

You might also want to check out my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@warhorseracing/videos
Wow that's alot more events than I expected that's looking like a solid contender.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you have decent tires already, so for your first real road course outing I would put a new set of brake pads on it. For combined street and road course you could go with Hawk "Black" or "Blue". The black pads will be easier on your rotors. These cars have too little rear braking, so blue in back and black in front is a good combination (blue has more torque). Be sure to do a few additional things.
1) Bleed the brakes with new fluid (Motul RBF 600 is great).
2) Get rid of the stock rubber brake lines in front. They can melt and fail if they get too hot, spewing brake fluid all over the track (not good) and putting you and everyone else in great danger. Many clubs will not allow your car to pass tech inspection with the stock hoses up front. Goodridge makes excellent braided SS hoses that are easy to install.
3) You'll undoubtedly need a newer SA rated helmet. Some clubs allow M rated, but many don't. Find out first before you show up.
4) Change your oil and consider running 1/2 to 1 quart extra. That helps avoid loss of oil pressure in the turns.
I agree that a panhard bar in back is needed. That rear suspension you have now dates back to the 1977 Ford Fairmont. If you run it on a road course you'll probably see the rear tires rubbing on the tailpipes. That means your rear axle is moving back and forth laterally at least 6 inches (probably more like 7 inches). Yes... it's that bad. Don't waste your time with upgraded control arms in back. That rear suspension is designed to bind when articulated. That's why Ford put such flimsy control arms back there. Stiffer arms in back just mean more binding. Consider contacting Griggs Racing (griggsracing.com) or Maximum Motorsports. Griggs is the best, but MM is less expensive. My Cobra R has Griggs' full World Challenge frame and suspension setup with no rubber or polyurethane bushings anywhere, it's all Heim jointed now.
Many clubs have a driving school in the spring, so consider signing up for that. I did, and I put my son through it as well. They usually team newbies up with a highly experienced driver that can really help coach you on things like late apex of corners, brake points, etc. An autocross, as others have mentioned, is also not a bad idea. You will get your butt kicked by those pesky Miatas. Don't let that bother or discourage you. Mustangs aren't great autocross cars no matter what you do to them. Road course yes, autocross not so much.
Best of luck. CobraRGuy

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It’s an addiction that has no cure.

You don’t “need” to modify anything to try your hand at open track or even autocross fun. My suggestion is going over the NASA HPDE tech checklist (to give you an idea of what’s expected) and addressing any shortcoming you find.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the fact that Mustangs aren't/can't ever be great autocross cars. A properly modified and adjusted Fox Body or SN95 Mustang can be a very capable autocross car. Unfortunately, many people don't make the correct mods or the correct adjustments. They also make incorrect assumptions about the performance potential of these cars.

You will not be directly competing against Miatas at autocross events. But it is possible to post faster raw times than a Miata in a Mustang.

I've been told that a 2000 GT convertible will never be a capable autocross car, a 2004 IRS-swapped V6 with 220 hp will never be a capable autocross car, and a 1992 SRA Mustang GT with 245 tires will never be a capable autocross car. I was told all 3 cars would never be fast because they didn't have coil-overs or an aftermarket K-member. I was told a $150 Steeda adjustable rear sway bar would never outperform a Panhard bar/Torque Arm setup. I was told that keeping all 4 control arms in the back of the car was a mistake. But I've won local autocross events & class championships driving all 3 of those cars. I'm far from the best driver in the world, and I certainly don't win every time out, but I'm always in contention.

I'm fortunate to compete against a bunch of people who are also proving that 79-04 Mustangs can be fast autocross cars. We are all willing to share our secrets to get more people involved in autocross.

Unless your car has a mechanical issue that will make it unsafe, or is set up for drag racing, you don't need to make any mods to try autocross. You just need a good instructor and an understanding of the limits of the car and the driver. Once you get into autocross, you'll connect with people who've determined which mods are necessary and which mods aren't. When you're starting out, your money is better spent on seat time.

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
This statement is just motivation fuel:

“Mustangs aren't great autocross cars no matter what you do to them.”

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Well guys I am signed up for an autocross event this weekend. My first event ever. I have read all responses and I will post how I do and how I feel about the mustang afterward. It's this coming Sunday so fingers crossed it goes well and maybe a new addiction haha.

oilspill

Reaction score
That’s awesome. You moved fast, I need to follow your steps and actually do something cool with my car instead of just working on it.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Well guys I am signed up for an autocross event this weekend. My first event ever. I have read all responses and I will post how I do and how I feel about the mustang afterward. It's this coming Sunday so fingers crossed it goes well and maybe a new addiction haha.

Start watching the videos that Warhorse Racing has on YouTube.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
It's great to hear that you signed up for an event!

Here are the videos I send out to novices when I help run Novice Schools. They cover the basics. Make sure to let people know you are new and get as much instruction as you can.

If you have any questions leading up the event, please ask. There are more videos in my "Mustang Autocross Tips" playlist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online