Tragedy has struck! Does this head look terrible to you??

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Hi All!
Just joined the forums! Like the title says, tragedy has struck my 02 2V. She went KABOOM big time so now I am trying to bring her back to life. Sorry this is sooo long but I am having fun with it!!!

Lets start by getting acquainted with my build so far:
4.6L 2V
2.1L Kenne Bell supercharger - 9psi (intercooled!!)
Flowmaster exhaust with H-pipe (no cats )
SVE red brake upgrade kit (LMR)
Short shifter (previous owner special)
AEM boost & Wideband
Boost-a-pump
Kenne Bell 90mm Mass Air Meter
75mm Throttle Body
36lb injectors
160 degree thermostat
one step colder plugs
flywheel and clutch upgraded by previous owner, he said stage 2 but he had no details
Lowered on springs (another previous owner special)
Everything else is stock or I am forgetting it.

Now for my goals:
12-14psi from the 2.1L
hoping for 500+hp
budget is less than 10k

Build Progress:
Supercharger is on its way to Kenne Bell now to get looked through and all seals replaced (check out the pictures of the supercharger belly pan!!! WOW!!!)
Getting a motor from Promar in Paterson NJ. Fully forged internal build, oversized valves, arp everything, and boost cams! This gonna cost me about 7k but they pick the motor up and deliver it for free. If you have better/cheaper ideas please share!

Need Help!:
Best flywheel/clutch?? I was recommended spec stage 3+.. Looking at this one but its out of stock rn: https://lmr.com/item/SPC-SF483/Spec-Mustang-Stage-3-Clutch-86-01-SF483
Engine management?? I am clueless here... Thinking this will work: https://lmr.com/item/SCT-7015/SCT-Power-Flash-X4-Tuner-Mustang-96-14-7015
Assuming I need an injector upgrade to hit my 500ish number. Was recommended 60lb injectors but not sure what brand to go with! HELP!
Exhaust time! Thinking of this combo going to my flowmaster mufflers:
Longtube headers: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-703230/1996-04-46L-Mustang-Gt-2V-Pacesetter-Long-Tube-Headers
Mid-pipe: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-821146/1996-04-Mustang-Pacesetter-Off-Road-X-Pipe-for-Long-Tubes

I am happy to be part of the club! My apologize if there is a build like mine that I haven't come across! Please link if so, I am a good reader.

Any comment or suggestion is more than welcome!! Lets have some fun spending my money!! haha I do all the work myself other than the engine build/tune. If anyone knows a good tuner close to Orange County NY I would love to give them some business. It has been horrific trying to get in contact with tuners....

20191002_181842 (1).jpg 20200126_124429.jpg 20200613_193659.jpg 20200613_193703.jpg

Last edited:

Benni614

Reaction score
Hi All!
Just joined the forums! Like the title says, tragedy has struck my 01 2V. She went KABOOM big time so now I am trying to bring her back to life. Sorry this is sooo long but I am having fun with it!!!

4.6L 2V
AEM boost & Wideband
Boost-a-pump
75mm Throttle Body
36lb injectors
160 degree thermostat
one step colder plugs
flywheel and clutch upgraded by previous owner, he said stage 2 but he had no details

Now for my goals:
12-14psi from the 2.1L
hoping for 500+hp
budget is less than 10k

Build Progress:
Supercharger is on its way to Kenne Bell now to get looked through and all seals replaced (check out the pictures of the supercharger belly pan!!! WOW!!!)
Getting a motor from Promar in Paterson NJ. Fully forged internal build, oversized valves, arp everything, and boost cams! This gonna cost me about 7k but they pick the motor up and deliver it for free. If you have better/cheaper ideas please share!

Need Help!:
Best flywheel/clutch?? I was recommended spec stage 3+.. Looking at this one but its out of stock rn: https://lmr.com/item/SPC-SF483/Spec-Mustang-Stage-3-Clutch-86-01-SF483
Engine management?? I am clueless here... Thinking this will work: https://lmr.com/item/SCT-7015/SCT-Power-Flash-X4-Tuner-Mustang-96-14-7015
Assuming I need an injector upgrade to hit my 500ish number. Was recommended 60lb injectors but not sure what brand to go with! HELP!
Longtube headers: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-703230/1996-04-46L-Mustang-Gt-2V-Pacesetter-Long-Tube-Headers
Mid-pipe: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-821146/1996-04-Mustang-Pacesetter-Off-Road-X-Pipe-for-Long-Tubes

I am happy to be part of the club! My apologize if there is a build like mine that I haven't come across! Please link if so, I am a good reader.

Any comment or suggestion is more than welcome!! Lets have some fun spending my money!! haha I do all the work myself other than the engine build/tune. If anyone knows a good tuner close to Orange County NY I would love to give them some business. It has been horrific trying to get in contact with tuners....

View attachment 6244 View attachment 6245 View attachment 6246 View attachment 6247
That literally happened with me and my old kb setup. Hit me up on IG
Benni614_turbo2v

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
So I'm not sure on a clutch but i would get something rated for well over what you will make.

Headers. I can tell you I'm the king of cheaping out. And I would go BBK at a minimum. Pacesetter doesn't make a quality product. If you can spring for it go with kooks.

Tuner. Call around and find a reputable shop and have it dyno tuned from the get go. That very last thing you want is to blow the car up again on a mail order tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Check out my budget 4.6 build thread in my signature. I was making over 500whp on my blower setup and 600whp on my turbo setup. Headers unless your going for 2” primaries just get a set of speed daddy longtubes... the fit and finish isn’t bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful ride. As far as timing goes, if your comfortable with wiring and computers look into Holley. Few here have already switched and some of us are in the process.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and comments!

I have a couple questions on the logistics after I finish putting her back together. I know I need a dyno tune right away but am I still able to start her up at idle? That way I can find out if everything works as it should before scheduling a dyno day?

Then thinking about the dyno day, when I get it tuned right away... The motor won't be broken in yet. Does that mean I get an initial tune to drive it around softly and then have to get another dyno tune when she is broken in? Do they do break-ins on the dyno?

Benni614

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and comments!

I have a couple questions on the logistics after I finish putting her back together. I know I need a dyno tune right away but am I still able to start her up at idle? That way I can find out if everything works as it should before scheduling a dyno day?

Then thinking about the dyno day, when I get it tuned right away... The motor won't be broken in yet. Does that mean I get an initial tune to drive it around softly and then have to get another dyno tune when she is broken in? Do they do break-ins on the dyno?
Your tuner should set u a break in tune. That way u can drive it but not go drag racing for 500 or 1000 miles depends on tuner. Yes you can start the vehicle with your old tune because the engine itself even when changed still a big vacuum pump

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s actually a common debate on break in periods. Engine builders who dyno tune engines put them through a pretty solid run on the engine dyno without anything more than a warmup period. NASCAR teams often drop motors in after building and go right out to the track and throw the hammer down.

Some builders say you need to work it in for 500-1000 miles while others will tell you to let it warm up and it do what it’s gonna do. There’s never been a proven method that was better than the other.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Hi All!
Just joined the forums! Like the title says, tragedy has struck my 01 2V. She went KABOOM big time so now I am trying to bring her back to life. Sorry this is sooo long but I am having fun with it!!!

4.6L 2V
AEM boost & Wideband
Boost-a-pump
75mm Throttle Body
36lb injectors
160 degree thermostat
one step colder plugs

Now for my goals:
12-14psi from the 2.1L
hoping for 500+hp
budget is less than 10k

Build Progress:

Need Help!:

View attachment 6244 View attachment 6245 View attachment 6246 View attachment 6247

Ah, I see you've joined the Dark Side which this forum is...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Yes, I see you've joined the Dark Side
I sure have, thank you for the suggestion on joining this forum! Lots more activity here haha

As far as the break-in goes, I am most comfortable getting a break in tune right away. I might keep it at the 9psi it is at right now and once I get 500 miles on it I will increase it. I do believe you shouldn't exactly baby the car but I also want to be cautious since I can't spend this kind of money on another rebuild haha.

Boostr1

Reaction score
It’s actually a common debate on break in periods. Engine builders who dyno tune engines put them through a pretty solid run on the engine dyno without anything more than a warmup period. NASCAR teams often drop motors in after building and go right out to the track and throw the hammer down.

Some builders say you need to work it in for 500-1000 miles while others will tell you to let it warm up and it do what it’s gonna do. There’s never been a proven method that was better than the other.

I mashed on my MMR built shortblock with less than 300 miles on it, and it's fine... now the tranny is another story.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
I mashed on my MMR built shortblock with less than 300 miles on it, and it's fine... now the tranny is another story.
That is a good point... Is my tranny going to be able to handle all of this extra power? I am not sure what the limits are on my tranny. It has about 80k miles on it right now.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Stock tr3650? Probably pushing its limits

T56 swap?????

apsmith49921

Reaction score

I bet john force drives his on the street a few hundred miles to break it in as well

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if all your changing is raising the boost and not switching fuels or something crazy I am not sure why the old tune would not work to get you to the dyno.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
if all your changing is raising the boost and not switching fuels or something crazy I am not sure why the old tune would not work to get you to the dyno.
Can probably keep his injectors as well. Once he got to around 550 probably time to step it up.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Stock tr3650? Probably pushing its limits

T56 swap?????

I won't be able to do that at the same time and I enjoy the 5 speed transmission too. I haven't researched transmission options much... I will have to do some reading

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.