Tragedy has struck! Does this head look terrible to you??

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Supposedly the 3650 isn't bad if you change the input shaft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
That is a good point... Is my tranny going to be able to handle all of this extra power? I am not sure what the limits are on my tranny. It has about 80k miles on it right now.

Well, I run an auto and know it's week points. With Manuals I wouldn't, but only about needing stronger clutch.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Some updates on my progress!

Motor/tranny are out and split now.
Engine bay de-greased/pressure washed

Now I have 3 weeks till I get the new motor from Promar.
This is the base motor I am getting: https://www.promarengine.com/engine-details.php?pn=FO4.6-29
They are modifying this motor for me. They are putting a supercharger cam in with upgraded valvetrain. Upgraded crank also with everything arp including head studs (crazy it doesn't come with them considering its a "supercharged motor").
Let me know your thoughts! All modifications and the motor are costing me 7k flat. Am I getting screwed? haha I do trust these people since they did a great job with my dad's corvette motor. Plus they deliver to my house for free and pick up my core. I am kind of unsettled that my vin #'s won't match anymore but is that really a big deal? I don't think so as of this point.
20200822_234004.jpg Empty Engine Bay.jpg Engine Out.jpg Finally Out.jpg

Boostr1

Reaction score
Some updates on my progress!

Motor/tranny are out and split now.
Engine bay de-greased/pressure washed

Now I have 3 weeks till I get the new motor from Promar.
This is the base motor I am getting: https://www.promarengine.com/engine-details.php?pn=FO4.6-29
They are modifying this motor for me. They are putting a supercharger cam in with upgraded valvetrain. Upgraded crank also with everything arp including head studs (crazy it doesn't come with them considering its a "supercharged motor").
Let me know your thoughts! All modifications and the motor are costing me 7k flat. Am I getting screwed? haha I do trust these people since they did a great job with my dad's corvette motor. Plus they deliver to my house for free and pick up my core. I am kind of unsettled that my vin #'s won't match anymore but is that really a big deal? I don't think so as of this point.
View attachment 6271 View attachment 6272 View attachment 6273 View attachment 6274

That's not a bad price for the motor. Are those stock heads that come with it? 03-04 Cobras don't come with head studs and some of them are running up to 600hp with no issues.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
That's not a bad price for the motor. Are those stock heads that come with it? 03-04 Cobras don't come with head studs and some of them are running up to 600hp with no issues.
He mentioned that they are larger heads than stock. Not really sure what that means but I didn't get much detail. He did say that he also addresses the spark plug issues these motors have.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Here is the clutch/flywheel and exhaust I am thinking of going with:
Clutch: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mcleod-street-extreme-clutch-0104gt.html
Flywheel: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mcleod-aluminum-flywheel-6bolt.html#customer_reviews
Headers: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-703230/1996-04-46L-Mustang-Gt-2V-Pacesetter-Long-Tube-Headers
Mid-Pipe: https://lmr.com/item/PAC-821146/1996-04-Mustang-Pacesetter-Off-Road-X-Pipe-for-Long-Tubes

Thoughts? Clutch/flywheel is my main concern here. I know someone mentioned pacesetter not being made the best but how bad could they be? For the price I think they will be fine. Will still be an upgrade over stock is my thought process here haha.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I think the clutch flywheel combo should work. Rated for more than you plan to make so I call that a win.

It was me that mentioned the pace setters lol. I think most require some persuasion. If you're ok with that then theyll work. However DO NOT cheap out on the gaskets and studs lol. The last thing you want is a header leak.

Also a side note that may or may not apply.... I attempted to install my mach 1 motor/trans with long tubes on it all at the same time with a cherry picker just like you pulled your motor. It would not fit that way had to bolt the trans separately. But that was a 4v with an automatic so it may or may not apply

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
I think the clutch flywheel combo should work. Rated for more than you plan to make so I call that a win.

It was me that mentioned the pace setters lol. I think most require some persuasion. If you're ok with that then theyll work. However DO NOT cheap out on the gaskets and studs lol. The last thing you want is a header leak.

Also a side note that may or may not apply.... I attempted to install my mach 1 motor/trans with long tubes on it all at the same time with a cherry picker just like you pulled your motor. It would not fit that way had to bolt the trans separately. But that was a 4v with an automatic so it may or may not apply

I am a very persuasive person lol. I think I should be fine putting the motor in with the long tubes and I am trying to buy everything rated higher than I will ever reach.

Benni614

Reaction score
I am a very persuasive person lol. I think I should be fine putting the motor in with the long tubes and I am trying to buy everything rated higher than I will ever reach.
In my opinion if u are gonna leave the headers in u have a few options.
1) drop it in as is but understand u will fight it alot and possibly bend or tweak something before either get it in
2) drop the k member as u installing the entire setup so that it can go it and then bolt the engine the k member and raise it in place [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
In my opinion if u are gonna leave the headers in u have a few options.
1) drop it in as is but understand u will fight it alot and possibly bend or tweak something before either get it in
2) drop the k member as u installing the entire setup so that it can go it and then bolt the engine the k member and raise it in place [emoji6]

I saw someone Install an engine from underneath like that today and was 100% mind blown. Like why in the f didnt I think of that instead of option 1 of a knock down drag out fight. I also didnt pull the k member so that's probably why

Benni614

Reaction score
I saw someone Install an engine from underneath like that today and was 100% mind blown. Like why in the f didnt I think of that instead of option 1 of a knock down drag out fight. I also didnt pull the k member so that's probably why

Thats how I do all my engine swaps or builds its so much easier plus u get to see if there is any bushing problems and all so u can knock them all out at once like this is mine
db23f59a770cbb1166f8399946653c16.jpg
b39adbc7c1d01e23c63548c8f4d26c0e.jpg

apsmith49921

Reaction score
When I go long tubes I'll go with a tubular

Boostr1

Reaction score
He mentioned that they are larger heads than stock. Not really sure what that means but I didn't get much detail. He did say that he also addresses the spark plug issues these motors have.

That may mean they are ported PI heads with the deeper spark plug threads. Hmm, I was correct 4.6 PI Heads, but doesn't say if they are ported or not. That's why the price is what it is. If they were TFS heads and lets say blower cams it would in the 6k-7k range.

I went with an MMR 900 short block: Cobra Block and forged crank, with Forged Manley rods pistons (8:3 or 8:5 compression w/ heads) and purchased TFS heads and cams separately. I think I can run over 20lbs of boost. (which I'll never will).

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Update time!!
-I have received the supercharger back from Kenne Bell! Got a rebuild done with all new seals and had it pressure tested. All good to go there.
-The motor arrived yesterday from Promar! EXCITING
-McLeod clutch, flywheel, and heavy duty clutch fork also arrived.
-Just waiting on the Bama X4/SF4 tuner and BBK long tube headers to arrive tomorrow. I went with the BBKs instead of the pacesetters because the pacesetters didn't have the notch for the steering shaft. SO I went with the expensive BBK longtubes and I will be cutting and welding my existing mid-pipe to work since I am close to spending my whole budget.
Made progress tearing down the old motor and WOW did I find some carnage. CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS!! The photos show exactly how it looked when I took the oil pan off!! Look at the mess on the oil pickup tube!! HOLY CRAP
20200909_172030.jpg 20200905_133111.jpg 20200908_222505.jpg 20200908_222441.jpg 20200908_222436.jpg 20200908_222425.jpg 20200908_222406.jpg 20200908_222341.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online