Tragedy has struck! Does this head look terrible to you??

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I find it amazing that the rod big end are always still attached considering the 8mm bolts holding it together.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
I am back with updates!! Got into the quarter close and I am an accountant so I got very busy.
Finally got the motor and tranny into the car. Damn those headers were a PITA!! I ended up going with the longtube BBKs which fit perfectly.

My next challenge is the clutch cable.... From what I have read, it adjusts automatically and my cable just barely doesn't reach. So does pulling the clutch pedal all the way up actually reset this?? I feel like I did that but nothing really changed.. Also, I have done all of this myself with no help so I am not pulling the clutch pedal at the same time... I am thinking that might be my issue. Any hints or tips?

I took off from work this friday so I am hoping to have it complete by the end of this weekend!! GETTING PUMPED UP!!!

P.S. I know she a bit dirty, it is really tough keeping her clean when outside. I am doing my best!
20201017_155444.jpg 20201018_160956.jpg 20201019_172207.jpg 20201019_172242.jpg 20201019_172252.jpg

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Does this look right??

I was ready to install the blower so I took the protective tape off the intake ports. First thing I saw was some residue/bondo type stuff but then I started looking more.

Does this look terrible or is it me? I am not an expert but that is why I am here.

Also that valve really looks like it is used. It is supposed to be a refurbished motor with all new parts such as valves.

Please share any thoughts. Do I go back to the company on this?
20201024_130120.jpg 20201024_130130.jpg 20201024_141331.jpg 20201024_140258.jpg

Attachments

• 20201024_130145.jpg
    20201024_130145.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 8

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That valve does look suspicious.

That crud in the water jacket could be residual mineral deposits from its previous life that survived the hot tank.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The pitting around the water ports is normal. Just smear red rtv before laying the gasket down.

The valve stem looks normal stock but id be curious to know why the valve is cracked open. Never trust them pesky lashers! Hopefully the cam lobe is at a ramp, hanging the vale open. Look down the other ports for any valve oened the same amount.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
The pitting around the water ports is normal. Just smear red rtv before laying the gasket down.

The valve stem looks normal stock but id be curious to know why the valve is cracked open. Never trust them pesky lashers! Hopefully the cam lobe is at a ramp, hanging the vale open. Look down the other ports for any valve oened the same amount.

It does have stage 2 comp cams in it. Would that make a difference?

You say the valve stem looks normal but does it look brand new? Also with the residue, this motor is supposed to be like new. Would you except that workmanship?

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
That valve does look suspicious.

That crud in the water jacket could be residual mineral deposits from its previous life that survived the hot tank.

Even if the residue survived the hot tank... As a professional engine builder, wouldn't you clean the crud? This motor is supposed to be like new held to the highest standards (from their website).

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Interesting.. You would be okay receiving this for 7k?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a good grip on this.

Jesus Christ, is that what it costs to have an engine built?

Have you discussed your findings with the engine builder?

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, is that what it costs to have an engine built?

Have you discussed your findings with the engine builder?

Its a fully forged motor with cams, etc. Crate motor that is supposed to have the works basically.

I sent them the picture and they are asking for a better picture with more light. So I will have to get that once it stops raining here.

As far as the crud they told me just now that it is epoxy to stop the head rot that was happening. I do not know what that means... I guess the head was rotting and this is what stops that from continuing?

Crazy they would put a rotting head on a supercharged performance motor.....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Coolant causes erosion inside the water passages due to being electrically charged over time. It happens to all heads on all motors.

Big part of the reason to change your coolant each year as it will get worse if you don’t.

I’ve seen the epoxy done before if there is deeper pits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
Does this look right??

I was ready to install the blower so I took the protective tape off the intake ports. First thing I saw was some residue/bondo type stuff but then I started looking more.

Does this look terrible or is it me? I am not an expert but that is why I am here.

Also that valve really looks like it is used. It is supposed to be a refurbished motor with all new parts such as valves.

Please share any thoughts. Do I go back to the company on this?
View attachment 7395 View attachment 7396 View attachment 7399 View attachment 7398

I've worked in a cylinder head machine shop and it seems they never took that head apart and do a rebuild. That crud shouldn't be on the valve stem (unless they installed uncleaned valve), and by the soot in that runner draws me to that conclusion. And that residue in that coolant port shouldn't be there if the head was media blasted (that's what we did with aluminum heads no paint) or cleaned correctly. They just threw that head in a jet washer and called it a day. I would definitely question this.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Check the other runners, if it's just that one valve they just let it slip by by mistake.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
$7000 DOLLARS!!!!

Ive rebuilt many budget gems with the same quality!!!

And what is this head rot all about? Im not doubting the possibilities, but a 1st for me.

If it were me, i could give 2chits about that shops feelings after shedding $7k and finding what youve found. All surfaces should be nice and clean

Boostr1

Reaction score
Yeah, the shop I worked at we would grind out the the bad area and re TIGed it with fresh aluminum and a resurface. Obviously that wouldn't be budget friendly so JB Weld it is. We've done it, but at least we took the head apart for a full refresh.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
$7000 DOLLARS!!!!

Ive rebuilt many budget gems with the same quality!!!

And what is this head rot all about? Im not doubting the possibilities, but a 1st for me.

If it were me, i could give 2chits about that shops feelings after shedding $7k and finding what youve found. All surfaces should be nice and clean

I am on the same page. Plus if they used this little care with the heads, its making me nervous about the bottom end.

I would just like a refund of my money and I will go somewhere else. I have no faith in this shop since they are not providing the level of quality they portray. But what are the chances I get my money back?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online