Tragedy has struck! Does this head look terrible to you??

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Slim to none.

Your best bet would be to have a reputable shop look it over and if they find anything sketchy then they can do a full write up and then you get an atty and go to court.

Now figure up how much an atty will cost you, add in court cost, and then realize you still might not win.

Now, let’s say you do win. There’s no guarantees they will pay the amount and they can just go bankrupt and say screw you.

I’m not saying any of that will happen, but it’s happened to plenty of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
I agree that getting an independent evaluation of the motor is a good idea. Send the eval and photos to the builder and see if they step up. They might just take care of it. If they don't, an attorney is last resort. I've had to do it before. Sometimes just a letter from a lawyer is all it takes; once they know you are serious they may make good. Or not.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you be able to get your money back? Ya didn't run it did you? The warranty is dead once the motor is installed in the car?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would make them aware of the issue and ask if they would like to look at it or have another shop do it.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you be able to get your money back? Ya didn't run it did you? The warranty is dead once the motor is installed in the car?

The warranty is not dead once the motor is installed. I didn't even turn the motor on or fully install the motor, it is just sitting in the car with all the protective tape on it.

I just don't think they will be willing to take the motor back for a full refund especially since I had them modify the motor they offered with some upgrades. Such as ARP head studs, cams, and forged crank.

As far as them bankrupting or disappearing, this company has been around for 30 years so I do not think that is gonna happen.

As far as getting a lawyer is concerned, I don't want it to come to that. It shouldn't come to that. I will be talking more with the engine builder today.

Boostr1

Reaction score
The warranty is not dead once the motor is installed. I didn't even turn the motor on or fully install the motor, it is just sitting in the car with all the protective tape on it.

I just don't think they will be willing to take the motor back for a full refund especially since I had them modify the motor they offered with some upgrades. Such as ARP head studs, cams, and forged crank.

As far as them bankrupting or disappearing, this company has been around for 30 years so I do not think that is gonna happen.

As far as getting a lawyer is concerned, I don't want it to come to that. It shouldn't come to that. I will be talking more with the engine builder today.

Shouldn't be to hard for them to send somebody over to verify, ya don't live that far away.

OP
OP
D

DSMaddiction

Reaction score
Small update. Got some better pictures of the valves. I shared the best looking valve and the worst looking valve in the head. There is no consistency between cylinders.

Here are the two pictures I shared with the builder. He should be getting back to me tomorrow morning.

The first picture is the same cylinder from above with more light. Definitely looks used to me but I am no expert here.

The second picture is the best looking valve I could find. Keep in mind this is on the passenger side head when the bad ones are on the drivers side. Still doesn't look smooth and new to me but I have never just ordered valves before haha

What do you guys think?

20201027_123246.jpg 20201027_123733.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah they should be spotless if brand new. There shouldn’t already be carbon build up unless the motor was ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if the valves were not bent or damaged they would reuse them which isn't a big deal, but just leaving them like that without cleaning is ridiculous. All they have to do is hit them up with a media blaster and re grind them. I've been to some small time machine shops that do stuff a little different, but they still rebuilt a clean motor.

joe65

Reaction score
So this is interesting to me. just read through your thread. A trusted member here on the forum OldH2s was preaching to me how he thought Promar could be one of the best engine companies you could find because of the high buck equipment they use. Anyways, i'd have as many conversations via email and phone as you can with people at Promar. If they are a company that is any good at all they will figure this out with you. Escalate it up as far as you can to make sure they address it. When i say escalate i mean in a smart way, not a demanding way. Get someone on your side there. I've been through this recently and ended up with a replacement engine (different company)

I'll be following along here. I was contemplating a Promar short block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online