Tranny In my 95GT

Vettn71

Reaction score
I replaced my clapped-out AODE with a reman 4R70W from transmission Depot. They have. A+ rating with the BBB. So far so good. My son and I replaced the tranny on jack stands. No fun that! Things went well, although like every project I wound up fixing things I didn't plan on and broke a number of brittle plastic parts.

I contacted Transmission Depot and asked what year the trans was out of and what upgrades had been done (they advertise that the Stage 1 included a TransGo kit and all industry upgrades). I have not gotten an answer as to what those industry upgrades happen to be, even though I called twice and emailed once.

My question is this, is the shape of the oil pan any indication as to the year? My 95 AODE has a corner cut at a 45 degree angle. The new trans has a completely square pan. Both say METRIC on them and both have flat pan bottoms. I drove the car and for the life of me I see no difference between what I had and what I just installed. Lacking response from the vendor, I'd like to get an idea of what I'm dealing with

TIA

Jim

Addermk2

Reaction score
Aode and 4r70w use the same pan.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

Addermk2

Reaction score
This is my 4R70W.

du4u7y6u.jpg

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Try using the link to see if you can identify the year depending on what plugs your transmission has . Hope that helps .

Good luck and God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyman

Reaction score
The 4R70W is not a direct swap. So if the one you have bolts up the required changes may have already been done. The '99+ v6 4R70W are the ones you want. See this link for more details.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
There's not a difference in the V6 and the V8 transmission both use a 4r70w with the same internals , I'm not sure on the mounts if there the same but I know the transmissions are the same .

toyman

Reaction score
There's not a difference in the V6 and the V8 transmission both use a 4r70w with the same internals , I'm not sure on the mounts if there the same but I know the transmissions are the same .

The 4R70W transmission case from the '96+ V8 is different and won't bolt up. However, the internals are the same and can be swapped into a '94-95 AODE.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
The 4R70W transmission case from the '96+ V8 is different and won't bolt up. However, the internals are the same and can be swapped into a '94-95 AODE.

I was talking about a 99 V6 and a 99 V8 being the same which they are .

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I had a chance to call and discuss my tranny with the person who rebuilt it today. It has all the correct solenoids and electronics, but they put the 4R70W extension housing on it; something they weren't supposed to do. After I talked to him a bit he said it had the wrong extension housing, but no one told him to put on the AODE one. He did say I could change the yoke. I asked them to supply the yoke, since they advertise "every transmission custom built for your application". Mistakes happen. We'll see if they supply the yoke. Push come to shove I'm thinking about just getting a junkyard driveshaft and driving it for a while. I've got this thing all together and I can install new u-joints when I get to it.

I appreciate ate the info on the 4R70Ws. I'll have to read it over a couple times to capture it all.

jim

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I never heard from Transmission Depot about the yoke. Anyone else do business with them? They go by Danny's Trannies on eBay. I gave up and bought a driveshaft from a junkyard just to get it on the road. Seems to be okay. I still can't identify the year of the trans. I'm thinking maybe a 96 to 98, since it has the solenoids and all. I imagine those can be put into any trans.

Thanks for the input

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online