tranny question

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by 97stanger, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 97stanger

97stanger Legend

Once i get close to hitting my max of 400rwhp, i am going to start building up my rear/tranny before doing the MMR shortblock. I am going to go with an eaton posi with moser 31 splines for my rear. Now for the tranny, which is an AODE, should i get my stock one built stronger or is there an aftermarket tranny that I should look into getting. My final goals for the car are 450-500rwhp. Thanks

2. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Legend

They seem to be pretty tough. Jmod and a converter should do it for you.

3. 97stanger

97stanger Legend

well i have a transgo in there now, but as soon as i get the money my next mods will be a bc automotive stall with some crower stage 2 non pi s/c cams. I figured after this is when I'll have to start building up some parts. But hey maybe i just do the rear and than slap on that shortblock and see how my tranny holds up?

4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Legend

It's what I would do. I really don't see alot of autos failing until you get into ridiculous power levels

5. black_96gt

black_96gt New Member

Get the biggest, most efficient trans cooler you can find. If you run a matched, higher stall converter, which you should, a deep sump/finned pan is also good. Been through my fare share of AODE transmissions ( 4 O0 ) in the 332hp/411tq 'charged F150 I had. Line pressure is crucial in those transmissions, I would have a trans custom built to shift, cruise and perform to your specs. A hard shift isn't as good as a quick, invisible shift. Most aftermarket trans companies will do just fine as long as adequate cooling, good clutches, drums, bands and the proper fluid are used.

6. quickstang_1994

quickstang_1994 Well-Known Member

agreed and stick with the auto

7. 97stanger

97stanger Legend

oh im definately keeping it an auto. I already have a B&M tranny cooler on. I think i'm just going to throw a stall in after my i/c is done and see how long my tranny lasts. I really dont beat on the car and it only has 45k original miles.

8. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

You can always upgrade to a Full BC tranny setup. The newer 4R70W's in the 99-04's have alot of beefier parts and BC can do a setup just for you. You can have them do a complete trans/TC setup then have your shop just swap it out.

9. 97stanger

97stanger Legend

honestly thats probably the easiest way to do it, is when i order my stall tell them my situation and just have them build my tranny and do the stall at the same time.