trans shutters

strokn50

Reaction score
i got a 95gt with an auto, ever since i've bought it the trans hasnt been the best, it'll shutter and not wanna down shift at times, but i can get a trans flush bout every 6 months and it'll be fine, what i wanna know is what would be the best to put in the trans to make it run the smoothest and last the longest, i was thinkin a royal purple trans flush with some other kind of additive

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
??? ??? SO when you get the flush it runs fine for a while, then starts to F up again ????

OP
OP
S

strokn50

Reaction score
yea it's like it breaks down the fluid until its no good then wants to start to shutter and stuff again

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is a strange problem, it sounds like you have a serious trans problem. You could end up with catastrophic failure if you dont get it checked out. :-\

OP
OP
S

strokn50

Reaction score
its been like this for years, i've owned the car for a little over the year but even the guy before me that owned it said he could do the same thing, just take it and get it serviced then it would run fine for a while, im gettin a built aode in about 4 months so until then does a royal purple trans flush with some kind of additive sound like my best bet for now

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
well if you can do a regular flush and be good for six months just go with that since you are replacing it in 4 months

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
strokn50 said:
its been like this for years, i've owned the car for a little over the year but even the guy before me that owned it said he could do the same thing, just take it and get it serviced then it would run fine for a while, im gettin a built aode in about 4 months so until then does a royal purple trans flush with some kind of additive sound like my best bet for now

well if your getting a new one in a little dont worry about that one and just keep the fluid fresh

W

Wes8398

don't mean to hijack here, but just curious what a trans swap is worth...in shop hours...?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
don't mean to hijack here, but just curious what a trans swap is worth...in shop hours...?

im not sure, just depends on the shop. The one I go to would do it in probally 6 or so buuuuuttttt there is so many guys there talking and all it would take wayyy longer.

W

Wes8398

There's a book that mechanics have to go by, isnt there? It says how much time a job is worth, and they charge you that regarless of if it takes more or less time....? That's the impression I've always been under. Maybe it's a Canadian thing...?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
There's a book that mechanics have to go by, isnt there? It says how much time a job is worth, and they charge you that regarless of if it takes more or less time....? That's the impression I've always been under. Maybe it's a Canadian thing...?

I know nothing of this :dunno: the shops right around here are small shops owned by individuals that have NORMAL day jobs and run thier shops in the evenings and weekends. Hell in fact four come to mind that are run like this :) the Closest real Busniess shop so to speak would be in Raleigh or Charlotte NC. They may go by some kind of book or something, but the shops around here just have thier set prices on stuff.

For example,,,

1. Spring install 100

2. Clutch swap 100

3. Motor pull 300

4. Gears 100-150 ( depends on car )

5. Headers on 4.6 car 500 ( I got mine done for 350 ^-^ )

and so on.................

W

Wes8398

That seems like a helluva way to do it, but I really don't think the shops around here do it that way at all. I'm almost sure that there's a book that tells you how much shop time every little job is worth. So the book tells you the hours it'll take, and the shop charges whatever their set hourly rate is. (65-85 bucks and hour, canadian)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
That seems like a helluva way to do it, but I really don't think the shops around here do it that way at all. I'm almost sure that there's a book that tells you how much shop time every little job is worth. So the book tells you the hours it'll take, and the shop charges whatever their set hourly rate is. (65-85 bucks and hour, canadian)

I can see the logic in that for sure, but like I said right here each guy that has a shop has a normal day job ( the shop that does my work, the owner is a Professional Plumber ) anyway each guy has a job, then they run their shop at night and on the Weekends. Everyone pretty much knows what others are paying/charging for the normal stuff so prices go accordingly.

Anderson Motorsports is the one I have used now for about the last 6 years, it is the MOST well know around here. The owner Bud Anderson had a Outlaw car for probally over a decade and just got out of it about 2 years back. He ran all over in competition for years........got a BIG name for himself and as a result has CRAZY business at his shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt