Transmission problem

Corey

Reaction score
hey everyone I’m new to the forums . I have a question when I’m cruising down the road my car feels like it goes into neutral but I can push the gas a few times and it’ll catch gear again . I still have the code po720 but I’ve replaced the oss sensor 2 times. Should I replace the range sensor now? Also the overdrive light flash on and off constantly

07GtS197

Reaction score
Have you checked the wiring for damage? When the od off light flashes the ecu detects an electrical fault with the transmission, so that points to an electrical fault as opposed to a hard part. Also check all fuses just in case. What brand oss sensors are you buying and what are the part numbers?

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
Have you checked the wiring for damage? When the od off light flashes the ecu detects an electrical fault with the transmission, so that points to an electrical fault as opposed to a hard part. Also check all fuses just in case. What brand oss sensors are you buying and what are the part numbers?
Yes I’ve checked the wires they where naked in some spots and I put tape on the to make sure they wasn’t touching. I’m not sure what brand it was or the part number . The cheap ones from advance auto , I’m not sure what to do now because I’ve replaced both input and out put speed sensors . The input one is very hard to change

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yes I’ve checked the wires they where naked in some spots and I put tape on the to make sure they wasn’t touching. I’m not sure what brand it was or the part number . The cheap ones from advance auto , I’m not sure what to do now because I’ve replaced both input and out put speed sensors . The input one is very hard to change
There is no input speed sensor. What Im getting at is either there still is a short somewhere or someone sold you a vss or similar instead an oss. By the way what year and trim do you have? Im guessing around an 01 or so?

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
There is no input speed sensor. What Im getting at is either there still is a short somewhere or someone sold you a vss or similar instead an oss. By the way what year and trim do you have? Im guessing around an 01 or so?
It’s a 1997

07GtS197

Reaction score
Oh ok. The only things I can suggest are to check the wiring and the part numbers on the oss to make sure it really is an oss and not a vss or from a different vehicle.

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
Oh ok. The only things I can suggest are to check the wiring and the part numbers on the oss to make sure it really is an oss and not a vss or from a different vehicle.
The transmission is out of a 1994 mustang but mine is a 1997. Do you think there is any difference between them and could that be my problem

Silver95bird

Reaction score
The transmission is out of a 1994 mustang but mine is a 1997. Do you think there is any difference between them and could that be my problem

Umm yeah. An aode is not a 4r70w. You or whoever did the swap should have noticed the yokes/tailshafts weren't the same. They probably wouldn't have noticed the gearset has different ratios. The eec is having a fit because it's expecting the correct transmission with the same ratios. The sensors are likely fine, but the eec is assuming since it's not finding the right ratios there must be a signal problem.

1994-1995 AODE
1996-2004 4R70W

But not all are the same. A 96-7 should be nearly identical. 03-04 are likely not to work, as the output shafts don't all have the teeth for a vss. In between, there were a few changes, but if you swapped all the sensors/solenoids they should work ok.

Also, if you're using the mlps from the AODE, and it's original, it's likely junk. They get water inside and short out. Was it properly aligned?

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
The guy that did the swap for me did have to buy a different yoke . I knew there different transmissions but I didn’t know the the electronic stuff was different. When I went to pick it up from his house I drove it and noticed it was starting out In second gear. Also the odometer was reading backwards so I took it back and he kept swapping the input and out put speed sensors and finally got it where it would shift right the the od light wouldn’t flash. The only problem then was the mph gauge wouldn’t work. So one day I was driving it I floored it and the mph gauge started working again. He told me to change the input sensor because that one was weak. So I bough a new one and put the sensor in then the transmission started holding first gear longer than it’s supposed to and it was shifting hard and the od light started flashing again. I put the input sensor back in it the one that came out the one he said was weak and still didn’t solve the problem. I also replaced the out put speed sensor twice and it’s still doing the same thing.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Did you align the mlps when you installed the replacement transmission?

And what torque converter did you use? What was the build date of the vehicle it came from? Early versions of those were terrible as well.

Overall, the only two ways of making it run perfectly I know of are: 1) reprogram the eec to the AODE , or 2) get the transmission that really belongs there in the first place. 96-7 are the easiest to swap, no changes and direct interchange. 98-02 require some work, but are much better. Tccoa has the od101 article that really goes into depth of what's what.

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
Did you align the mlps when you installed the replacement transmission?

And what torque converter did you use? What was the build date of the vehicle it came from? Early versions of those were terrible as well.

Overall, the only two ways of making it run perfectly I know of are: 1) reprogram the eec to the AODE , or 2) get the transmission that really belongs there in the first place. 96-7 are the easiest to swap, no changes and direct interchange. 98-02 require some work, but are much better. Tccoa has the od101 article that really goes into depth of what's what.

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
He used the same tourq converter that came with it and I’m not sure the build date of the mustang it came out of . What is mlps

07GtS197

Reaction score
Mlps, manual lever position sensor or as some call it a neutral safety switch, which is only part of its function. I wonder if the one you got has water intrusion like Silver said, it is quite common. Also there are two lines that need to be aligned with the transmission in neutral. Thinking about it more it does sound like the mlps is the culprit. Id check it first. Its on the drivers side of the transmission where the shifter linkage meets the shifter linkage arm on the side of the transmission.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the TC then. Check your transmission fluid regularly, look for brown fluid, burnt smell, and the TC shudder. If you get those signs, it's better to just replace the whole thing with the right transmission/TC, especially in your situation. And when you do, be sure to use a can of the cooler clean to flush the garbage out of the lines, then blow out with compressed air. If there's any junk left, it'll take out the seal rings on the forward (1st gear) clutch.
And check that mlps!

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
Could I unplug the speed sensors to see if it’ll shift better

Silver95bird

Reaction score
You could, but it won't fix anything.

For the third time, did you align the mlps, or better yet replace it?

I'm at a loss for words. You bought a transmission that you knew was the wrong one, put it in anyway, and you're trying to find a magic bandaid fix for the inevitable problems that creates. We offer advice to at least improve the situation, and you appear to not be taking it.

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
You could, but it won't fix anything.

For the third time, did you align the mlps, or better yet replace it?

I'm at a loss for words. You bought a transmission that you knew was the wrong one, put it in anyway, and you're trying to find a magic bandaid fix for the inevitable problems that creates. We offer advice to at least improve the situation, and you appear to not be taking it.

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
I understand I screwed up I was in a hurry and had to have a transmission because I use my car for work . Thank you for the help I really appreciate it and yes I got to check to see if the mlps is aligned. It has messed up until yesterday it’s doing the same stuff when it try’s to shift into 3rd or 4th it revs and doesn’t go anywhere. I have to drop it into 2nd gear to get someone where I can turn the car off and start it back up and most of the time that fixes it for a bit

OP
OP
C

Corey

Reaction score
Mlps, manual lever position sensor or as some call it a neutral safety switch, which is only part of its function. I wonder if the one you got has water intrusion like Silver said, it is quite common. Also there are two lines that need to be aligned with the transmission in neutral. Thinking about it more it does sound like the mlps is the culprit. Id check it first. Its on the drivers side of the transmission where the shifter linkage meets the shifter linkage arm on the side of the transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online