Transmission question

SparkSVT

Reaction score
Im new to the SN95 cars. I have had countless fox body Notch cars all manual transmission. My father who is 77 years old bought a 1994 GT rio red with a grey cloth interior and black convertible top about 12 years ago from the original owner. I went with him to buy it. He just passed it down to me. I will keep this car forever but its an automatic. The auto trans seems to be shuttering and under wide open the the car wont shift into the next gear. I spoke with a transmission expert who says its time to rebuild it. Car has 111k on it. My long term plan with the car is heads cam and intake, exaust and the usual bolt ons as well as a Vortech Supercharger as that is a similar setup I had ears ago with a 93 cobra. Should I have this converted to a manual trans or go with an aftermarket auto trans? I was looking at LenTech automatics. Is making it into a manual trans a huge job? I do not have the time or garage to do it myself so I would be looking for someone to do this job for me.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If its shuttering shifting into overdrive its probably just the fluid breaking down. Also what gears are affected when it wont upshift at wide open throttle?

OP
OP
SparkSVT

SparkSVT

Reaction score
If its shuttering shifting into overdrive its probably just the fluid breaking down. Also what gears are affected when it wont upshift at wide open throttle?

Thanks for replying. Its pouring out here in the Philadelphia suburbs. Tomorrow ill take the car out and find out what it wont shift into. If I remember right it wont go into second gear or higher when i take off WOT from a stop

Silver95bird

Reaction score
By that description I'd say MLPS for the shifting issue. Very common problem with water intrusion. But the 1994 torque converter gives me bigger concern. The early (pre 10/94) ones had an undersized torque converter clutch. Check the fluid level and condition. Does it smell very burnt and turn a paper towel black?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.