Transmission tunnel gap

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Nah, I was just reading around and found that people were having a hard time finding mounts that fit without having to modify them. Even autozone and oreilys mounts have bad reviews. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Had mounts from autozone and they bolted up with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I lifted the engine more on the driver side to lower the passenger side, when I got home last night and it gave me a little more clearance. It didn’t rattle as much on the drive into work and it’s probably all in my head but I feel like the car drove better. Either way, I’ll be swapping the motor mounts later this week. I’ll post the results.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
So before I switch these MM out, the passenger side mount has a couple of washers on each bolt to block. I don’t think that even without the washers, it would have provided the clearance I needed but who knows. Either way, do I reuse the washers with the new mounts?
7f4c4d86c10cf7207c3db11a3bc3692d.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The only washers I'm seeing are between the bolt head and mount. That won't affect the height of the engine at all.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
That’s what I meant.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
There aren’t any on the other side though [emoji848]

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The bolts with washers might be a little long. Won't hurt anything to reuse the washers. You can also compare the lengths between sides.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There aren’t any on the other side though [emoji848]
The washers are exactly where they are supposed to be, doing what they are made to. It looks like a standard washer and a lock washer to help to keep it from backing out. If they were on the other side your motor would then be shimmed up the width of the washer.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
So the nipple doesn’t meet up with the hole in the driver side. Both mounts appear to be in good shape but old driver side had the nipple shaved off. I guess the previous owner couldn’t get them to mate either.

Now, is it just me or are one of these passenger side mounts bigger than the other?
c0d3f81d5b95b11bbf390b37a768149b.jpg

43d332a91c600a876e4f934fa95d0430.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
bigger? I don't see a size difference but from the top the older one looks like its going to move it over an inch to the side.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Maybe that’s what I’m seeing. There’s definitely a difference in the two. I went ahead and put the old driver side on since it fit in without a problem. I’ll button it all back up, tomorrow.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
FWIW, I know on some aftermarket mounts for the 4.6 the nub has to be trimmed off. Not sure why that is. But FYI.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Well, I put it back together and right out the gate, I encountered my first problem, the hood won’t close. Took’er for a spin anyway and something didn’t feel right. Handling felt kinda weird, like something was wrong with the steering. The driver side, the mount without the nipple IS sitting a little lower, I’ll try lifting it up and tightening it, and I don’t know how the heck I suddenly lost the header bolt sitting closest to the firewall (DS)[emoji28]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you only get the one side of the mount to replace? Unless your running some kind of huge spacer between the upper/lower intake there should be no problem with the hood. I would have to think that they were both off, not just one.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I left the old driver side mount on because I couldn't get the nipple on the new one to sit in its hole. Ill probably try putting the new one in again but it looks like it doesn't want to go at all. Maybe the foxbody GT40 intake is too tall? Ill certainly take another crack at it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the only way the intake is too tall on the correct motor is if there is a large spacer between the upper and lower. Half of us on here including myself have the gt40 or cobra intake on their car with the stock hood. The fact the nipples don't fit and it seems tall, any chance its a former truck motor or some variant that is slightly different?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the only way the intake is too tall on the correct motor is if there is a large spacer between the upper and lower. Half of us on here including myself have the gt40 or cobra intake on their car with the stock hood. The fact the nipples don't fit and it seems tall, any chance its a former truck motor or some variant that is slightly different?

Shouldn’t be any variance with any 302 block. The mounts were identical for all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online